Woodleigh 7mm 160 PP Best seating depth?

longrangehunter

Handloader
Jun 19, 2011
Dr. Mike I'm pretty sure you've used these? So I broke out the old boxes of Woodleighs and the Nosler Brass I've had to test in my 280 AI... along with some just as old gun powder! :lol:

I tried the 160 gr. PP 3.3740" COAL/ 2.780" CBTO just kissing to .005" off the lands for these three powders after working up:

H4350 in the middle 2,860
H4831sc Slow 2,796
Rl-22 Lots of speed 2,939

So in the past with blunt nose bullets like this they seem to like being close to the lands. What's the best average off the lands for these Woodleigh's in 7mm?

I just need a good starting point so I'm not wasting these bullets, I only had 135, and I just used 15.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin,

I'm loading them at 0.010 inches off the lands in several rifles.

However, I've questioned that in recent days since they are a bonded core bullet. Because this is the case, I have to think that a greater jump could be advised. The caveat to this idea is that the Hornady Interbond uses gilding metal for the jacket jacket as does Woodleigh. This allows it to be loaded quite close to the lands, according to the techs I've spoken to. My experience bears out their advice on this matter. Thus, to date, I've continued my practise of loading close to the lands with Woodleigh Weldcore Soft Nose and Protected Point bullets.

Really want to try the Woodleigh's in my Whelen. Their performance seems to be amazingly consistent and devastating.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks MIke. I wasn't seeing anything that stuck out while testing with those powders. H4831sc had the worst group; H4350 formed a triangle and looked as though it wanted to shoot; RL-22 put the first two into a .1595" hole and get this, 57.0 and 60.5 yet went into the same hole, but miles apart velocity wise. But none of them were anything to write home about.

I'll back them off a bit. In my old notes I noticed the Norma Oryx shot best with them 0.00" off so I thought I'd see this too?

Oh, BTW when I was testing the 162 ELD-X's I got the best groups while seating them into the lands near max pressure using H4350.

5Shot........ Nice pic! Woodleigh bullets are well known to stay together and produce large frontal expansion.

DrMike":1cijuwqd said:
Kevin,

I'm loading them at 0.010 inches off the lands in several rifles.

However, I've questioned that in recent days since they are a bonded core bullet. Because this is the case, I have to think that a greater jump could be advised. The caveat to this idea is that the Hornady Interbond uses gilding metal for the jacket jacket as does Woodleigh. This allows it to be loaded quite close to the lands, according to the techs I've spoken to. My experience bears out their advice on this matter. Thus, to date, I've continued my practise of loading close to the lands with Woodleigh Weldcore Soft Nose and Protected Point bullets.

That’s pretty interesting about your results Mike. The IBs in my Mashburn were very erratic. Jumped them .1 and it was like I replaced a bent barrel.

I have treated the few Woodleigh I’ve monkeyed with like an AB and started them at .050” and gotten fairly lucky.

Looks like 22 has some speed on it Kevin. Make a good load I’d bet.

It was screaming Scotty! Had a little heavy bolt lift though which I didn't like. The Nosler load data showed 60.5 as max with their 160's, and with the 2'' shorter barrel I have it was certainly there..... just not the group!

Scotty,

You may be correct. Perhaps you are finding a node at some distance from the lands. When I next work with the IBs, I'll take some time to test this again. As I said, since the Woodleigh PP is a bonded bullet, it would not surprise me that it performed better with a bit of a jump. That has not been necessary for me to this point. But, then, I've not shot all that many. There is always something new to learn. Just when you think you've got everything figured out, you discover that you don't.

That’s a fact Mike. Couldn’t agree more. Seems like every time I work on the bench I learn something else new “I thought I already knew” :lol:

Nothing really came together today. I retested H4350 which has the lowest ES 11, and SD 6, next was IMR-4831 in the ED, and SD department, same for RL-22 too @ 59.1 grains which surprised me just under 2,900 @ 20' from the muzzle. The worst group and one powder that has never worked for me IMR-4350, except in a 8 Rem. Mag. using 200 gr. bullets!

1-5 pm working at this too, I reshot the 162 ELD-X's w/H4350 just off the lands and it was so-so, but so was what I had going on with the 160 PP Woodleigh's today. After shooting 25 of the ELD's and 35 of the Woodleigh's this past week and nothing to show for it kinda blows...... And I don't mean just to my shoulder! lol

Fire up some 160 Accubonds Kevin, I know it stinks buying more bullets but they are usually pretty darned accurate in just about every 7mm I have ever tried them in.

Those 160 AB's worked real well in my 7mm-08 Wby Vanguard..... It's just my personality to never walk away from a fight! :roll: lol Or in this case a bullet or two that won't work! :shock: I'm wondering if I'm fighting an uphill battle...... It used to be my best shooting rifle two decades ago. Only now it's been in the back of my gun vault for a reason, and I'm starting to wonder why? lol :cry:

Ok, so it won't shoot as well as my last Jarrett that Bruce Baer first put together that won't shoot..... those things happen I guess? :roll: Or my two GAP guns, three if you count the TRG 300 NM. Seems like the more accurate they get, the more I like using them.... and like that should surprise anyone.

Oh well....... One day I'll maybe rebarrel it and throat it long for what I like to use.

Back