Working up a load for the 30-06

PJGunner

Handloader
Dec 11, 2010
I've been working up a load for a 30-06 I've had since about 1974. A gentleman by the name Cal Albright built it for me. Some of you here may remember his ads in Rifle and Handloader Magazines for the Albright fast fit trap door butt plates, same fellow. Very nice butt plates BTW. Anyway the rifle was an FN commercial mauser with a bad barrel and he said he could put a barrel on for me for $100. :shock: Seems he'd ordered a barrel for a rifle he was building and the one they sent had a 1 in 12" twist and he wanted the standard 1 in 10". A 1 in 12" is great for cast bullet so I said OK. He called and not only did he rebarrel the rifle but put a pretty fancy piece of wood on the gun., no charge for the stock. Well, I shot it some over the years but while it would make very tight 3 shot groups, .25" to .50", none would hit in the same place twice. I'd sight in 3" high at 100, let the barrel cool and the next group might be 4" high and 10" to the left, right up down who knew where they would land? When I got transferred to Tucson in 1979 I play with that rifle some. I re bedded dit 5 time times to no avail. screws always checked, swapped scopes several times, just no luck getting it to hit in the same place twice. In 1988, I drove up to Deer Creek AZ, a suburb of Phoenix and went to the McMillan plant to see if I could get a stock for the rifle. They said normally you order and wait your turn for a stock but they had one for a Mauser that was a cancellation. We tried it with my barreled action and it was a go. I glass bedded it and all seemed well. Then financial problems popped up and I couldn't shoot or load ammo for a while and the rifle was put in the back of the safe. After that mess was taken care of I played with other guns and completely forgot about that 06. About a month ago I dug it out of the back of the safe with the intention of using it for the back up rifle for my upcoming elk hunt. I was already doing work up for my .280 Rem. as well but in the last few days have only taken the 06 out. It doesn't seem to be too happy with the Accubonds so far but seems to like the Partions. Both are 180 gr. bullets. I got out last Wednesday and ran 3 loads that showed promise and all 3 loads gave almost great groups. Each 5 shot group had 3 in a very tight cloverleaf and two out by as much as 2". :shock: The flyers were random, rather than being on say shot #3 or maybe #5. Shots were spaced 5 minutes apart. When I got home, I decided to give the rifle a good cleaning and 2 things became apparent. The barrel on that rifle had to have been lapped by cal as all I got out of that barrel was black carbon. Even after that was gone, no trce whatsoever of copper in that bore and no blue on the patches. The second thing I notice was a peening mark at the top of the slot that the bolt drops into. Apparently the bolt was being kept from closing all the way by about 1/32". Some quick work with the Dremel tool cleared that problem. Now, with a weather forecast for 100 percent probability for rain for the next 48 hours, guess I'll be waiting to see if that fixed the problem. :( Sometimes it just never ends. :roll:
Paul B.

I think you mighta nailed it Paul. Hoping it comes together for you buddy. I am sure if you can sorta out the fliers, you'll have a great shooter on your hands.

I am looking forward to seeing what you get sorted out with it. Seems like these are the rifles that make us better problem solvers!

I'm always interested in what ails a rifle based on a 98 Mauser action, and what cures them. I hope we hear the rifle's shooting consistently, and soon!

PJGunner - from your description, it's one heck of an interesting rifle.

Am looking forward to seeing if you've finally found the flaw in it, keeping it from shooting well...

Keep us posted!

Guy

Well I finally got to the range yesterday to test loads for the .280 Rem. and 30-06. I mnetioned earlier in this thread that the bolt was hitting the stock which I cleared ot wit a Dremel tool. Not much improvement. the AccuBond load tightened up a bit but the Partition load was still 2.x2.5". :(
I also ran five rounds of some Winchester 180 gr. Silvertips I had laying around and what a joke they were. Velocity ranged from 2550 FPS to 2730 FPS, all from the same box. :shock: The group? How about a seven inch pattern. :shock: I'm tempted to pull the bullets and salvage the brass.
I'll tinker with seating depth with th AB's and see if I can get better results. If not, the AB load s is is at least minute of elk.
Funny thing? On the way to the range as I pass though a housing development, every time for the last three weeks this coyote has run in front of me in almost the exact same place. :?: Must be his regular route or something. Then, yesterday when I got to the range when I turned off the highway onto the range road, there were 8 coyotes all hanging out on the road. :shock: As I drove up they just looked at me and moved over to let me pass. Looked like an Alpha male and his mate and this year's offspring. I got to take a day off on load work up and break out the Kimber .223 and do some calling. 8)
Paul B.

Consider trying a shorter 165 gr bullet.

Just in case your 1:12 isn't fully stabilizing the 180's. It should... But, the 1:12 twist is PERFECT for 165's. Worth a try at any rate.

Have any H4350 on hand? That stuff and a good 165 shoot great together, from every .30-06 I've ever loaded. Figure on 2800+ fps, and good accuracy. For the trial, I'd stick with a flat-base, lead nose 165 gr bullet, trying to work with something short, rather than something long, like your 180 gr Accubonds.

It would be interesting to see if simply going to a shorter, lighter bullet will help with accuracy issues. Seems like you've already done a lot of work on the rifle, and perhaps it's simply time to try a lighter/shorter bullet?

Let us know... Guy

My .30-06 shoots 165 gr Partitions the best of all. It does not particularly like Accubonds. Both H and IMR 4350 work great for my .30-06, backing up what Guy said.

bobnob":1akd3urc said:
Jeez what an exercise in frustration. I would be very likely to sell it off.

Aw, this ain't bad. My Ruger M77 RSI took over two years to find a load that would group 1.50" consistantly. Stubbornest rifle I ever saw. Finally got it to dp 1.25" fairly consistantly and it's one of my favorite rifles. It's a .308 Win. BTW.
Sell that 30-06? Nope! How many people can say the have a $100 custom rifle? A friend built it for me. I also have a J.C. Higgins M50 that I'll never sell. It's on it's third and I hope final stock, a cheap Butler Creek. There's a bit of a story behind that one as well. It too is in 30-06.
Getting back on track, I just might have to try 165 gr. bullets although for elk I'd be a lot more comfortable with 180 gr. I still have a few 165 gr. Speer Hot Cores but I've been reluctant to use them as that's the only bullet that works in my RSI. I have some 165 gr. Sierra Game King hollow points I'm a bit leery of that bullet as many years ago, I shot a coyote while on a deer hunt that was at least 200 yards out and had a two piece "yote". I've heard people say it's a tough bullet and other people say it blows up like a bomb. Who's to believe?
As the AB's are showing some promise, I think I'll load up a box with the bullet seated as close to the lands as possible, or whatever the magazine will allow, shoot three, then seat the bullets a half turn on the seating die of my Lyman Tong Tool and do three more and so on until I get a decent group. That just might turn the trick. Wish I could chase down a die set for the .280 but I'm not even sure Lyman ever made a set for that cartridge. I do have a portable stand that I can mount my press on that fits on the shooting bench.
As far as the bullets stabilizing, I don't think that's the problem. When a smart arse gun writer a while back came up with that old myth (again) that a 1 in 12" twist will not stabilize a 220 gr. 30 caliber bullet, I decided to see for myself. I worked up a stiff but safe load with the 220 gr. Sierra and shot three 3 shot groups. None went over 1.5" and two were 1.25". This from the same rifle I'm working with right now. No sign of tipping and the groups were nice and round.
A thought just came to me. I'm doing this work up using brand new unfired Winchester brass. Never paid much attention before but could that brass be part of the problem as it fireforms to that rifle? Gads! I have to stop thining. it's driving me sane. :lol:
Paul B.

I've had outstanding success with my .30-06 and imr 4350 with Speer grand slam in 165 grain bullets. Killed about a dozen cow elk with that load and a couple spikes sprinkled in. I've never recovered a bullet, broadside they shoot right on through. Ive never tracked one very far or lost one. It's a tougher bullet than the game king for sure and good elk medicine. If you still have doubts try the swift scirocco in your -06 with the 165 grain bullet. My rifle liked h414 the best.
My rifle would not shoot the AccuBond for anything but my brothers rem 700 .30-06 loves them and they have never failed him on mule deer or elk. Just my 2 cents thiugh

With your history over multiple rifles chambered in the .30-06 you are likely better versed in it than I am, so I can't claim to have any advice. I do think you're on the right track, though, with seating depth and potentially the 165 bullet weight. And I do hope it comes around for you. I love that cartridge.

bobnob":2dt09fj5 said:
Jeez what an exercise in frustration. I would be very likely to sell it off.
Blasphemy (in a kidding sense)!!!

To me, this is the best thing about "tinkering" with a defiant gun. If it shoots w/ease you have a go-to in any situation. It's the one that keeps you scratching your head for days or in PJGunner's case, 39+ years that keep you on your game.

Ain't that the truth! I've had rifles that shot well the first time out, like my 788 in .222, and they end up in the back of the gunsafe. But then again I've had plenty of rifles that just would not perform no matter what and I had no choice but to banish them forever. I think it's safe to say that the majority of them required a bit of tinkering and responded to various treatments.

Rewards that are forever elusive only frustrate, and rewards that come too easily just don't satisfy. We're funny critters when you think about it.

Well, I made out to the range this morning.More frustration with some interesting results. First I'll mention the .280 Rem.with the 160 gr. Grand Slam. I shot one five shot groupFirst shot wqas spot on. Second shot was a misfire. Second try and it went band and the bullet hit about 4" low and 3" to the right. Discount shot #2, I had a group .50" wide and 2.25" in the vertical centered 3" high. :shock:
Then I went to the 30-06. Again only five shots for each load. First shot with thw 180 gr. Patiton hit 5" high and 1.5" left. the rst of the load, four shots hit 2.25" left and the group was 2" high and 1 1/8" wide. Last grouping was with the 180 gr. AccuBond The first four shots was 2.5" high and one inch left. Shot #5 was 5" high and a half inch left. :( However, I called that one off before the bullet even hit the paper. The little Lyman shooting stand has a tendency to rock back and I had it mounted to a board to prevent this from happening. I noticed later when shooting up the rest of a box of 180 gr. Winchester Silvertips that the stand was moving. Methinks that might be what's been giving me those mostly vertical two groups.
For a laugh, the 15 shot group with the Winchester ammo? 2.5" horizontal and 4.5" vertical. :shock:
Interesting thing about that factory ammo. Every round showed signs of very high pressure. Very flat primers and very slight signs of the ejector mark. Recoil was noticably stiffer as well. :?: :?: :?:
Paul B.

You may have something there, Paul. I had vertical stringing drive me nuts for a while until I realized the front rest was rocking somewhat. As soon as I tightened things up to prevent the rocking, I was rewarded with results I could live with. The funny thing is that it showed up more with some rifles than it did with others.

Paul,

Interesting rifle.
Give the 165 gr offerings a try, they are a nice balance of speed and penetration in the 30-06.
The 165 gr PT will cover most anything in NA.

JD338

WEell, Friday the 13th has been a pretty good range day. Did two powders with the 165 gr. AccuBond and results were finally quite good.

First powder tried was H4350 SC and several groups were 1.25" with the best one 1.125". I loaded four groups and the best with H4350 was 57.0 with 57.5 (max in the Noser manual) close behind.

Second powder was W760 and frankly wasn't expecting much but decided to give it a try. The starting load was 54.5 gr. and gave a group of .25'x.45". :shock: The best group came from the max load of 56.0 gr. measuring .625 x how in the hell do you measure two holes that look like one? :shock: :lol: Looks like about 0.3215"as close as I cam measure. Subtract .308" an you have OMG!
Looks like I have several choices using either powder and especially W760.
I haven't tried the Partitions yet. Based on today's results, I'm not sure I need to. Besides, my shoulder need a bit of a break. The .280 got away from me a couple of times and that thing has a steel Niedner style butt plate. My own fault for trying to rush things a bit. A bit chiily at the range which was 38* at 0700. Could have been worse. I could have been way up north where it really gets a tad nippy.
Paul B.

Paul, glad to here the 30-06 finally came around. W760 gets over looked with all the other powders that are available. I have found it to be very good in the 257 Roberts also.

Sounds good to witness success, Paul. W760 has served me well in a variety of cartridges, and it does work well in my 30-06.

Back