Working up a load on windy conditions.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
It is blowing like mad here in Cheyenne Wyoming.

My question is I shoot to the north and usually the wind comes from 270* or west.

What is the max wind you would shoot in when working up a load?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 633
No clue Fotis. The only time the wind blows that hard in Mississippi is when we have a tornado lol. I did shoot two days ago at 350 yards with a steady 12 mph wind coming from 9 o’clock. Only had about 2”-3” bullet drift at that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay safe! I don't think you need to worry too much about trees in WY. But gusts get up into the 60-75 mph range about 2 times a year in my neck of the woods. Tree branches tend to come down, and if it has been wet trees tend to uproot.

To answer your question; it varies. Spring average wind is 12 mph over a whole day, summer tends towards an average of 9 mph. Most of my wind comes in from about 90 degrees to my shot. Gusts tend towards 7-10 mph over the days average.

With initial development at 100 yards, I am very happy with below 10 mph but will make due with up to 15 or so mph. The main issue is the optical chronograph blows around too much above 8-10 mph, so I need some quiet days to get good velocity readings and know if I want to put the time and energy into that combination.

Late load development where I'm just fine tuning I'm more flexible and will accept gusts of 20-30 or so mph at short range like 100-150 yards. If I'm out at 300-400 yards, then I'm looking for sub 10 mph at least once to verify group size and make sure nothing unexpected is happening. Normally though I make due with anything and make a sight adjustment for that day's wind. Once I'm at 250+ yards I know I have a functional if imperfect load, so learning how the load works in the wind and verifying that everything work well from field positions is half the fun.

:evil: The most frustrating thing about Wyoming!!!! :evil: :evil:

I tend to leave for the range at the crack of dawn to do load developments, its mostly when wind is at its least.

Even though it's colder in the early mourning's I try to do my load development when before it warms up and the wind starts getting up. There are a lot of us who can't do that do to noise ordinances and most public ranges don't open till after 10am because of it and then our private club ranges also have noise ordinances to adhere too. I'm luck that the ranges I use open at 9AM which is still early enough that the wind isn't blowing at gale forces.
Fotis I think you need to find a nice quite draw on private property where the owner will let you set up a temporary range out of the wind.:)>)

I don't do load development in any wind if I can help it. Since I live in a small valley it's almost wind free, and why I bought this place. A 3-5 mph wind would be alot.

49 and 20 WNW wind would sure beat -18 and 15 NW wind this morning. :lol: Need to find a tree line to hide from the wind. All jokes aside winds gusting over 50 mph would be a good day to stay inside at the reloading bench.

RL338":1b35gykk said:
49 and 20 WNW wind would sure beat -18 and 15 NW wind this morning. :lol: Need to find a tree line to hide from the wind. All jokes aside winds gusting over 50 mph would be a good day to stay inside at the reloading bench.
I can’t imagine the temps some of you folks live in! I would die lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RL338":1vnw7qtm said:

yup
44-40 day

Back