Working with a new SFAR 20" for 600 yds

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
I've got some 168 shooting good in a Colt Ar10 for 600 but this new SFAR I'm going to run in matches just because.
Which would you try first?
165's
168's
175's

Or other?

I've got some 168 shooting good in a Colt Ar10 for 600 but this new SFAR I'm going to run in matches just because.
165's
168's
175's

Or other?
How's your sfar shooting?

My 20" SFAR will be here next week. I loaded the FGMM receipe 175gr SMK 41.7gr imr4064 and gm210m primers for break-in.
My experience with ar10/ lr308 gas guns it will probably take a couple of hundred rounds to break in the barrel and mechanics.

I have been reading a lot about this rifle. It seems like their gas block doesn't have a lot of room to freely float in the handguard so I'm getting a Odin adjustable gas block just in case.

How's your sfar shooting?

My 20" SFAR will be here next week. I loaded the FGMM receipe 175gr SMK 41.7gr imr4064 and gm210m primers for break-in.
My experience with ar10/ lr308 gas guns it will probably take a couple of hundred rounds to break in the barrel and mechanics.

I have been reading a lot about this rifle. It seems like their gas block doesn't have a lot of room to freely float in the handguard so I'm getting a Odin adjustable gas block just in case.
Well...
So far so good
I needed some brass so I shot a bunch of factory stuff I had. White box Winchester I believe.

Anyways it was just merely to get brass but when I get a new rifle I usually do a string @ 50 real quick as that tells me a lot, good or bad before I get into serious ranges.

20 plus rounds became one ragged hole real quick with just battle sights. Hole could've been covered with a quarter. Very satisfied so far.
I've just got some Speer 168 gr HPBT match bullets to start testing.
I'm not sure on the powder. I have a good selection to choose from

Your thinking about the AR10's needing a good break in period....
Absolutely positively damn staight. AR10's are extremely tight!
EXTREMELY!

Stiff is probably a better word

Last edited:
I also had to look up SFAR, and after an edifying time on the website of the San Francisco Association of Realtors, I zeroed in on the Ruger page. I have to admit, I sort of like what I see. One of my biggest issues with AR-style rifles has been a trend toward the heavy. For example, the Black Rain "Fallout" with an 18 inch barrel, comes in at 9lb 15oz. That's slick weight. So, the notion of a .30 cal AR-style coming in at less than 7 I find quite interesting.

To the OP. I clearly don't have any experience with this platform, but re: bullet weights, my concern would be the magazine dimensions limiting your COAL with heavier bullets. Not sure if that would matter between 168 and 175, but I also don't know what projos you are using.

I also had to look up SFAR, and after an edifying time on the website of the San Francisco Association of Realtors, I zeroed in on the Ruger page. I have to admit, I sort of like what I see. One of my biggest issues with AR-style rifles has been a trend toward the heavy. For example, the Black Rain "Fallout" with an 18 inch barrel, comes in at 9lb 15oz. That's slick weight. So, the notion of a .30 cal AR-style coming in at less than 7 I find quite interesting.

To the OP. I clearly don't have any experience with this platform, but re: bullet weights, my concern would be the magazine dimensions limiting your COAL with heavier bullets. Not sure if that would matter between 168 and 175, but I also don't know what projos you are using.
A 600 yard match and COAL is irrelevant as you can only chamber one at a time. We leave the magazine in but it's never used to house a round. Simply used to keep the chamber open after firing ready to manually load the next round.
Thus no limitations on COAL.

One of my biggest issues with AR-style rifles has been a trend toward the heavy. For example, the Black Rain "Fallout" with an 18 inch barrel, comes in at 9lb 15oz. That's slick weight. So, the notion of a .30 cal AR-style coming in at less than 7 I find quite interesting.
Yeah, I have built a couple all on DPMS gen 1 upper and lowers. My current 6mm CM is 12lb. 3oz. unloaded! That's with a carbon fiber handguard!
It is however a tack driver.
20200906_155455.jpg

A 600 yard match and COAL is irrelevant as you can only chamber one at a time. We leave the magazine in but it's never used to house a round. Simply used to keep the chamber open after firing ready to manually load the next round.
Thus no limitations on COAL.
Always learning. Thanks!

First load test
41. 0 gr Ramshot X Terminator
168 gr Hornady ELD-M
2.800 COAL
A simple published load...

4 shots...first shot was to see if I was close after an adjustment error. Stayed with same target and shot three.

I don't remember the order of impact.

Battle sights were used.

Looks promising20230410_013256.jpg

Any of you all ever use the slick little 155 TMK? That sucker and R15 shoot amazing in my little PSA 18” 7.62.

No but I'm always looking to better....an already better🙄🙄🙄🤣🤣🤣
I guess when I looked at the numbers, the 155 TMK has more BC than the 168 SMK, plus I can usually eek some more good FPS out of the 155's. Same for the Scenars if you like them. Both 155's are great shooters for me.

20230413_174843.jpg

She's set up and ready for the range tomorrow.
The melonite oxide was still apparent in the chamber and bore, so I used Flitz and JB paste to polish the chamber and JB scrubbed the barrel. After cleaning is looks outstanding in the borescope.

I sighted her in at 200 yards.

20230414_143338.jpgI think this is terrific for absolutely no load development at all. I guessed at a mid pressure load for Reloder 15. The imr4064 really shot well though. Not one malfunction. Gas setting is on number two.

These dots are 3/4".

Edit, these are pulled 175 smk from de-mill ammo from American Reloading. The ogive were all over the place, lol.

Last edited:
165's
168's
175's

Or other?
I was playing with cheap Hornady 155gr and Ar-Comp today, might have struck gold.20230422_130928.jpg
Shot at 200 yards from a bull bag, orange dot is 3/4".
2773 fps
34 ES
9 sd

This is by far the most accurate lr308 I've ever owned. My first one took 4 barrels to get this good.

I was playing with cheap Hornady 155gr and Ar-Comp today, might have struck gold.View attachment 19686
Shot at 200 yards from a bull bag, orange dot is 3/4".
2773 fps
34 ES
9 sd

This is by far the most accurate lr308 I've ever owned. My first one took 4 barrels to get this good.
Excellent!!!!
That's great. The little I've grouped with mine and battle sights was very impressive!

I had a couple other projects going on with a chronograph and now I'm ready to start testing 168 gr speer match bullets with W748
But......

the damn rain has arrived and it doesn't look good for days 🤬🤬

Back