New addition...we will see how it goes

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
New AR10 to the family...

Resized_20230401_231225~2_165839470167151.jpeg

I've been curious about the SFAR and going to give it a go.
I've been shooting a Colt AR10 for years and wanted an addition. I almost got a Smith M&P but was intrigued by this new Ruger offering.
20" bbl..
It sure is light.
600 yards here we come.

We shall see

I have the same model. I've only fired about 60 rounds through it but no issues so far. Prior to the range trip I lubed the BCG but that was all. I haven't adjusted the gas block because it was running fine so don't fix what ain't broke.

With Winchester and Federal white box 7.62x51 FMJs I got about 1.25 inch groups and Hornady Black 168s shot about .75 at a 100 yds.

Ron

I’ve been eying one of these. A 308 in a AR size upper and lower. I like it very much. Congrats on a really nice rifle.
Peer pressure sucks! God my wife’s gonna kill me. 🤣

Just ordered a 20" SFAR. I loaded the (re-engineered) FGMM load. 175gr SMK 41.7gr imr4064 and 210m primers for break-in and sighting in scope.

My experience with lr308/ar10 rifles, it takes a couple of hundred rounds, plenty of lube, and several barrel cleanings to break in the rifle.

We'll see how it goes.

41 gr. Ramshot X-Terminator
168 gr Hornady ELD-M
2.800 COAL
Battle sights
4 shots...
One was to see if I fixed an adjustment error on my part...
20230410_013256.jpg

For you AR guys, a good lube is some Mobil One red grease, put a dollop of it in a mixing jar, and add Mobil 1 0/20 till it gets to a runny consistency. It should flow like warmed maple syrup. Use a finger or whatever application method you choose to your BCG and other parts that move. I have been using it for years and it sticks to the metal really well, reduces that ridiculous carbon build up we get from gas impingement AR's and really lets stuff move and the best part is it won't run off when it gets warm. I have used it down into the 10* degrees and of course the heat of summer and like the stuff quite alot for AR's. Remember they are more similar to a piston engine than dissimilar with the heat and carbon, and this easy mix helps suspend carbon and clean the metal as it would in your cars engine vs sticking hard on the metal.

A tube of the grease and a quart of 0/20 might outlast us all.

Back