Would you hunt with a 168gr. HPBT .308?

OB1MARINE

Beginner
Nov 6, 2005
I have a Remington 700(M40A1) with a Leuplod Mark 4 (M3 dials). I know that the .168 HPBT is a great Sniper round but is it good for hunting deer?

You can sure open a can of worms with that question.

Regarding the Sierra 168 Matchking - some have used them with resounding success. I've noted a strong tendency for them to penetrate game with little or no expansion - just penciling right through. Time to time they will also blow up unexpectedly, inflicting a nasty, shallow wound. Like I stated though - others have had great success with them, and continue to use them. Seems like most of the dramatic successes I've seen posted on the net involved rifles with considerably more energy than the .308 Winchester - stuff like the 7mm & .300 magnums and the big .338 Lapua magnum. I don't have any trouble understanding that a 300 grain HPBT from a .338 Lapua is going to produce great devestation on whatever it hits... The other place I've seen match bullets work well is lightweight match hollowpoints from a .22-250 on varmints.

Regarding the Nosler 168 - I love 'em for target shooting, but after seeing the Sierra match bullet pencil on through game, or blow up unexpectedly, I decided long ago to leave the match bullets for target shooting and use hunting bullets for hunting. Have never tried Nosler's 168 for hunting after seeing poor results from the Sierra. It's possible the Nosler would behave differently, I just wasn't willing to risk it.

As an alternative, I've often loaded up Nosler's 165 grain Ballistic Tip, which is a great performer on deer, and shoots darned near as accurately as the match bullet, from my .308 Win.

Regards, Guy

A couple of years ago on another board, one of the worst, nastiest and funniest threads I have ever read involved the Matchking. Specifically whether or not the Matchking should be used for hunting. Every possible arguement pro, con, valid or stupid concerning the Matchking is contained in this thread.

For the record, I have two boxes of .277 135gr Matchkings, I use for embarrassing friends and long range varmint shooting. For real hunting I use Accubonds and Barnes TSX. Both are just as accurate as the Matchking and better suited for hunting.

Enjoy the slugfest

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 510355/p/1

ZM

Zeke - agree. That one was bad, there have been a couple more arguments about the very same thing on other forums. I considered not even responding, because I don't want to be part of another "match-bullet for hunting" argument.

Decided it was worthwhile putting my thoughts/experiences up there and hope that this continues with civility.

Regards, Guy

The SMK is not a game bullet, regardless of what some have said and done. Go with the 165 gr BT or AB for game hunting in your 308 Win, you won't be disappointed with the results.

JD338

i always read the box the bullet comes in. if it says match on the box, it was not engineered for hunting.

OB1Marine,

Please, please don't use the HPBT on big game, (ok for rabbits, woodchucks etc). But, by all means they work just fine on people. However, even SWAT team snipers know that if you have to shoot through glass, or other barrier first, a bonded round is a must. :grin:

Guys I have enjoyed the input. I am completely sold on the Accubonds. 180's and 200's Great round for Deer and ELK. I just have never heard any one talking about hunting with match kings. Is there a AccuBond lighter than the 180 in 308? thanks

Nosler offers a 150 gr and 165 gr AB in .308. The 165 gr AB is just about perfect for the 308 Win.

JD338

and a 30-06.....Your on the wrong forum to see guys using SMK"s for big game. There are people who use them on deer regularly and they have had great results. Now 9 out of 10 times, they are using a magnum cartridge, shooting a heavier weight bullet. Not a standard cartridge shooting a medium weight bullet. I have shot 1 game animal with a SMK, 200g out of my 300 RUM. It only took 1 shot, but I did not like the performance of the bullet on an animal as large as a bear. The shot was 250 yards, entered behind the shoulder and did not even exit. No heavy bone was encountered, found the bullet and the biggest piece weighed 25g. I found it lodged on teh offside shoulder. The damage was just like any other bullet, liquified the lungs anyways. Killed the #10 bear in Oregon with it. I wont say I wont use matchkings or designated bullets for targets on deer, because they do kill them with a well placed shot, but I dont think matchkings are good to use on bears or elk, except for maybe the big 240g smk or 300g smk, those have just about been proven on game with nothing but killing results. The ones I have read bad experiences was just what I already said, smaller calibers shooting medium size bullets, when you should be shooting the magnum calibers with the heaviest bullet it will shoot accurately.

OB1MARINE":ppgwbrbn said:
I have a Remington 700(M40A1) with a Leuplod Mark 4 (M3 dials). I know that the .168 HPBT is a great Sniper round but is it good for hunting deer?

HELL NO!
:evil:
I still do not understand why people hunt with a bullet that is clearly substandard for hunting big game when there is a plethora of PHENOMENAL game bullets around.

Zeke Menuar":3338rmoe said:
A couple of years ago on another board, one of the worst, nastiest and funniest threads I have ever read involved the Matchking. Specifically whether or not the Matchking should be used for hunting. Every possible arguement pro, con, valid or stupid concerning the Matchking is contained in this thread.

For the record, I have two boxes of .277 135gr Matchkings, I use for embarrassing friends and long range varmint shooting. For real hunting I use Accubonds and Barnes TSX. Both are just as accurate as the Matchking and better suited for hunting.

Enjoy the slugfest

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 510355/p/1

ZM

Guess who started that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back