Would you shoot an unfired commemorative?

Shoot it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Would you shoot this?? It's a 38-55 Winchester "Alberta Diamond Jubilee" commemorative, unfired with original box. It does have some tarnishing on the reciver, but that could be polished up a bit.

DSCF1136.jpg

DSCF1137.jpg

DSCF1141.jpg

I sold off my Sako 75 7mm rem, I still don't know why, but I just didn't take to that rifle. It was a great gun, just totally boring and yet shot very well. I sold it to buy a stock and barrel to build a 243 AI, but found this 38-55 for cheap.

I have a buddy that has been looking for one for awhile, so I may just sell it too him and still get the 243 ai built. Not sure, it would be a shame to shoot it after it being unfired for 30 years. On the other hand, it is a shame for such a fine rifle to not do what it was meant for, shoot.

JT

There was 2700 ADJ commemorative's made total, all in 38-55. Production year was 1980. There is one on gunbroker right now, but this one has a much nicer stock

JT

Nice find!
I don't think I would shoot it!

JD338

If you bought it as an investment then make it a safe queen. If you bought it and will never get rid of it and maybe pass it on to your kids then shoot it.
I shoot the daylight out of my NCR and I also shoot my comerative remington 280 and 30-06. In fact I had the commerative 06 AI'd. I also carry a Kimber Elite Carry. It's number 1106 of 1200.
Guns can be a work of art but, they are more than just a painting. Take good care of it, keep it clean, properly lubricated and it should still hold it's value for a long time.
Un-fired condition is great but...
Most of the value is determined by the condition of the gun not if it's been fired or not.
Yours is un-fired but tarnished.
Shoot it.

I recently passed on a 375 Winchester commemorative because I would have been tempted to store it and not shoot it. The 38-55 is a neat cartridge, and it would be difficult not to want to load some up and pop a few caps. I really have no use for a rifle that I won't shoot. Each of my rifles was purchased to give me pleasure, and I get more pleasure shooting them then by looking at them. I suppose there are rifles that have a significant historical value that I would not want to shoot; but then, I'd likely donate them to a museum for others to admire.

The reciever could use a polish, I'm not sure how a pewter finish polishes, the stock is gorgeous. I was thinking this would be a heck of a short range anything gun. I'll wait and see if one of my buddies here is wanting it for an investment. If I keep it, it most likely will see the field.

JT

Good for you, JT. The 38-55 is a fine deer gun at short range. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose and elk at close range. It would compel one to be a hunter, and not a shooter. But, then again, with my ageing eyes, 100 yards is a long shot over iron sights. :)

It is a pretty rifle. Winchester did foul up on occasion and put some really beautiful wood on their rifles. :lol: Actually, most of the commemoratives that I have seen had very attractive wood.

NOT if it was for resale. Just fire a 30-30 or a 375 win same recoil....more or less.

jtoews80":33gjqrow said:
The reciever could use a polish, I'm not sure how a pewter finish polishes, the stock is gorgeous. I was thinking this would be a heck of a short range anything gun. I'll wait and see if one of my buddies here is wanting it for an investment. If I keep it, it most likely will see the field.

JT

Don't polish it. Patina is worth money. Just ask someone that polished an old coin to make it look better. If you polish it it won't have an original finish and professionals can tell the difference. If your going to keep it and shoot it then it's yours and do what you want.

The tarnish polished off with a rag easily, it was pretty bad. It looks great now.
I really like how it looks, but am not sure I want to keep something I really should not shoot. IT was produced in my birth year and I live in the province it commemerates.......

JT.

Back