Wyoming 2016

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
This was a great trip - it was more than a hunt. I left well ahead of my hunt, camped a couple of nights in and near Yellowstone. Spent my time in the Lamar Valley, watching bison & other large game animals.

Then spent a day with old friends in Cody, Wyoming. Love that place! Drove through the Bighorn Mountains - I'd never traveled them before and have got to go back. They're incredible...

The .30-06/165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip combination proved deadly again. Took two animals, an average size pronghorn buck at 245 yards, and a pretty good 4x5 mule deer buck at about 140 yards. That's three for three this season for that rifle & load. I'm pleased.

Approaching Yellowstone:

Solo camp. It snowed a tiny bit later that night:

Sunlight Basin, Wyoming:

Seriously cool old hotel, bar & dining room. The Irma. A gift from Buffalo Bill Cody to his daughter, Irma. Still a terrific place to eat. The rooms are a little old... small... and haunted. :grin:

Checking the .30-06 & ancient Redfield:

Not a big antelope at all, but the shot opportunity was PERFECT! 245 yards, crossing in front of me, slowly. Aware but not very suspicious of me. Excellent backstop behind him.... I just couldn't pass up such an opportunity. Put the 165 gr Ballistic Tip right through his heart, also wrecking one leg. Lost a little meat, but not much. No bullet recovery of course.

Snowed a little while we were looking for mule deer. COLD that morning!

Saw a LOT of bucks, decided to take this one when the opportunity arose. He was about 140 yards distant, looking at us through the trees. All I could see was his head, neck, and upper chest. That was enough. Bullet ranged through a lot of his body, coming to rest just under the skin along his left flank. I'll weigh and measure it later. Instant drop. I'm pleased with the 4x5 buck, he was FAT! All the mulie experts who looked him over decided he was an older buck that had started to regress. They figure he had bigger antlers last year:

A few more photos from the trip:

Regards, Guy

Looks like a perfect hunt. I'd be happy with either one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunner46":3gq2c21w said:
Did you hunt two different areas? Terrain looks different.

Hunted one general area, both out on the flats and in the hills.

The terrain in my trip varied greatly as it was a 2,100+ mile round trip from Washington, across the panhandle of Idaho, through Montana, then a couple of days in Yellowstone, a day or two around Cody, through the Bighorns, and finally to the hunting area in Northeastern Wyoming.

Guy

Guy,

Outstanding. Congratulations on your hunt.
Nice looking antelope and a beautiful mule deer.
Love that picture of the antelope with the heart shape horns.

JD338

Thanks JD, it was a really neat trip. Was gone from Mama longer than normal this time. Glad to be home, but I packed a lot of sight-seeing & such into a week and a half.

Guy

Congratulations Guy on your very successful hunting and exploration trip of Wyoming!
Wyoming is my ultimate outdoors spot, and place to live. So many things to see and do! A lot of differing terrain and mountain vistas!

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Super account, as is always true. That is a fine mulie and not a bad speed goat at all. You did well. Congratulations.

Guy Miner and the 30-06.

Just like the energizer bunny--they just keep going and going and going----------and winning!

Nicely done Guy

Guy,

You're adventures always remind me of how I would like to spend my retirement, if I could ever make that happen. :>)

I also appreciate that you get that neat jeep in a few pics. Once a jeep owner always one. We had a 65 Willys that was worn out by my Grandfather, dad and my brother & I. Used it on his property forever and they drug that jeep all over West Texas on hunts. My brother and I ended up rebuilding it in high school. My parents sold it against my wishes to get it out of the way. Still not happy with that one and it has been 36 years.

Anyway, I love how you turn the whole thing into an adventure from camping along the way, using roads less traveled and spending extra time in the field.

Good animals by the way.

chs

Thanks. For me, the whole thing is an adventure, and Wyoming only comes around for me every-other-year. It's a much-anticipated trip. There is a LOT of great country between my home in central Washington, and where I hunt in eastern Wyoming. So why not see it? Spend time in it? I bought my Yellowstone fishing license and had my fly-fishing gear along, but the rivers were blown out and fishing was poor.

Time is tight sometimes. Now, I have the ability to schedule things a little better, though I am back at work tomorrow!

Regards, Guy

Guy,
You should see some of the hunting around the Iron Mountain area in Wyoming. Also around the Centennial, Wyoming area. The amount of game, and the varmints in those areas are magnificent!

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Bullet from the mule deer. Lots of penetration. Recovered pressed up against the hide.

Expanded diameter .54" and weighed 106.5 grains. Not bad for a 165 gr Ballistic Tip launched at 2900 fps.

Guy

Guy- Looks like a wonderful trip. As I have said before, that part of the world.... well, it is special. Very nice bucks. Sometimes the right shot is just as satisfying as a big set of horns. Thanks for posting the beautiful pics. Officially jealous ..... again. :) CL

Hard to beat that bullet performance, Great looking recovered bullet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back