You guys were right. 30-06, H4350, and 165 Accubond

dubyam":maqnoit8 said:
Clearly Scotty has hit his head. Or been abducted by aliens and his substitute is out here making rash comments not based in the truth!

Welcome to the alternate universe, dubyam. :twisted:

I've been trying to tell you guys f-o-r-e-v-e-r that all you need is a 30-06 and a 6mm Remington, and the rest of your rifles you may just as well give away! :mrgreen: :p

6mm Remington":307eqcfm said:
I've been trying to tell you guys f-o-r-e-v-e-r that all you need is a 30-06 and a 6mm Remington, and the rest of your rifles you may just as well give away! :mrgreen: :p

One out of two ain't bad, David. If utility and effectiveness are the sole considerations, the 30-06 will work.

SJB358":114p9rnw said:
nosler06":114p9rnw said:
Guy Miner":114p9rnw said:
Good stuff John!

H4350, and a good 165 gr bullet are a favorite combo, my standard load, for the .30-06 cartridge. My old rifle doesn't generate the velocity you're getting though! Am at about 2750 fps...

Guy

This sounds like great advise. I am switching my 30-06 powder from IMR4350 to H4350. I completely hooked to the Nosler 180gr part. prot.pt's I have a modified stock on my Winchester mod 70 so the recoil tends to deform the next round's tip in the magazine. Here in BC I am after game from deer, elk, moose, black bear and we do run into grizzly bears. Need some stopping power.
:)

That is about as good a combo as there is, for just about everything. Most of us would never admit it, but a 180 PT and a 30-06 would do everything for us... Don't ever repeat it though, never know when a wife is going to read this!

Don't you worry one little bit Scotty I save a copy just for her just in case she missed your original post. No need to thank me, what are friends for? :mrgreen:

OU812":35mt9xtv said:
Don't you worry one little bit Scotty I save a copy just for her just in case she missed your original post. No need to thank me, what are friends for? :mrgreen:

I almost made the mistake of saying the 338 Win Mag she bought be for our anniversary could be the last rifle I would ever need.. Almost said it outloud I was so excited. I may have murmured it under my breath though... The excitement got the best of me!

Scotty, you must take control of yourself, man. A slip of the tongue could be disastrous!

DrMike":yqxktee3 said:
Scotty, you must take control of yourself, man. A slip of the tongue could be disastrous!

I know. I try. It is hard to be quiet...

Of course I seldom hunt elk or mastadons like you real he-men here, but I have to make myself carry something other than the good old .25-06 anymore. It just jumps out of the safe, and we go kill something.

Had the same thing going with the beat up old .30-06 years ago. Great all around rifle cartridge - and yeah - most of us could really get along just fine with a good .30-06, not needing all these necked up and necked down versions, let alone the belted or un-belted magnums...

Glad that H4350/165 gr load is working out - nothing wrong with IMR 4350 though, nothing at all. It was almost all I used back in the 1970's & 1980's for my handloading. I'd still use it... Except I fell hard for H4350 a few years back.

Regards, Guy

SJB358":9iyx6zw3 said:
nosler06":9iyx6zw3 said:
Guy Miner":9iyx6zw3 said:
Good stuff John!

H4350, and a good 165 gr bullet are a favorite combo, my standard load, for the .30-06 cartridge. My old rifle doesn't generate the velocity you're getting though! Am at about 2750 fps...

Guy

This sounds like great advise. I am switching my 30-06 powder from IMR4350 to H4350. I completely hooked to the Nosler 180gr part. prot.pt's I have a modified stock on my Winchester mod 70 so the recoil tends to deform the next round's tip in the magazine. Here in BC I am after game from deer, elk, moose, black bear and we do run into grizzly bears. Need some stopping power.
:)

That is about as good a combo as there is, for just about everything. Most of us would never admit it, but a 180 PT and a 30-06 would do everything for us... Don't ever repeat it though, never know when a wife is going to read this!

I guess that is my problem. My wife already knows that my 30-06 will do for any North American game. I had no worries in my mind when I took it with me on my grizzly bear hunt with 180gr Nosler Partitions loaded in it.

It'll do, and do so quite well. I'd like the added mass of a 200 grain Partition even more, assuming it gave me acceptable accuracy.

DrMike":36z8nc19 said:
It'll do, and do so quite well. I'd like the added mass of a 200 grain Partition even more, assuming it gave me acceptable accuracy.

Yes, the 200gr Partition would definately do a number on big moose and grizzlies, but I think it might be slightly overkill(no pun intended) on a whitetail. That being said it might be a good selling point to the wife to add another Win Mod 70 Featherweight 30-06 to the inventory. :mrgreen:

nosler06":3w5atx5r said:
That being said it might be a good selling point to the wife to add another Win Mod 70 Featherweight 30-06 to the inventory. :mrgreen:

I like where you are going with that!

nosler06":3letvhqb said:
I think it might be slightly overkill(no pun intended) on a whitetail. That being said it might be a good selling point to the wife to add another Win Mod 70 Featherweight 30-06 to the inventory. :mrgreen:

Surely you're not suggesting that the whitetail I took this fall using a 250 grain AccuBond launched from a 9.3X64 was overkill! Heavens forbid! I will say this, when I came out of battery, there was no whitetail to be seen where I had been aiming. When I walked over that 197 yards, there he lay in peaceful (and final) repose as he rested his chin in the snow. :grin:

DrMike":g275a74i said:
nosler06":g275a74i said:
I think it might be slightly overkill(no pun intended) on a whitetail. That being said it might be a good selling point to the wife to add another Win Mod 70 Featherweight 30-06 to the inventory. :mrgreen:

Surely you're not suggesting that the whitetail I took this fall using a 250 grain AccuBond launched from a 9.3X64 was overkill! Heavens forbid! I will say this, when I came out of battery, there was no whitetail to be seen where I had been aiming. When I walked over that 197 yards, there he lay in peaceful (and final) repose as he rested his chin in the snow. :grin:

No, never suggesting overkill at all. I am jealous as hell though. My season was cut short due to a knee injury. I am still waiting for surgery, hopefully Jan 13. Then the recovery road. I have hunted with a old buddy who would bring his 375 HH Mag along for a walk for whitetails. The only thing that I got a good laugh out of was that my 30-06 weighed half as much. After a long hike his shoulder was feeling it. I have seen a couplw of whitetails dropped with this rifle and a 285gr boatail. It did just seem to punch a clean hole through it.

Back