Young moose

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
Ran across this scene between our place and town. This young moose was curious as heck about the house. It took me 5+ minutes to dig out the camera, and the moose spent the entire time checking out windows, looking at the door, etc... Wasn't the least bit interested in me sitting in the rig 50 yds away...
SANY0446.jpg

Very neat picture. They certainly can be curious. He looks to be in pretty good shape. There is perhaps a small patch of hair rubbed off. He'll be in good shape by late summer.

It's funny how habituated they get with houses/people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are fun animals to watch at length. At times, it seems like they are very inquisitive. Three different times now, we've had a moose come and want to join and hang with our horses. The horses we had years ago would have nothing to do with the moose, while our current batch isn't as nervous, and the moose joined up and hung around for a couple days, running and grazing like part of the herd.

A veterinarian in my church had a mule that stole and adopted moose calves each of several years. I take it they are easily persuaded to leave mom.

A heck of a lawn jockey!

This is how they look after chasing you upstairs, they can be grumpy at times!

Jack-o-lantern thief

Great pictures. I sure don't like seeing their hackles raised and their ears flattened. I've seen it a couple of times during the winter when they are in town. Especially the cows can take exception to the presence of an individual at times. For sure, they can be grumpy on occasion.

Thebear_78":3rcxq6c9 said:
Saw this on alaska life today, seemed fitting

[
f8fc61f52c48c6b7e60ec007051089eb.jpg

That's a great pic. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I had a full grown Shiras bull come up to me while I was seated over a deer migration trail, in 3 feet of snow out the 20th of October, several years ago. He slowly fed his way on willow branches up to me and smelled my boot! He picked up his head and thought about this strange creature sitting in a bush which he was standing over, he blew out his nose, turned around and shuffled back the way he had come. I could not do anything except sit there and hope that by not moving, he would move on and not step on me!

This was at about 9000 feet, up high in the Little Bighorn drainage just south of the Montana border in Wyoming in the Bighorn Mountains. I had a NR deer tag but no moose tag. He was a nice trophy Shiras moose but no tag and he was a little too close!

Back