Zeiss Spotter arrives

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
As I mentioned on another thread, ordered a Zeiss Victory 20-75x85 T* FL spotter yesterday from CLNY. Since my proximity to CLNY is arguably "too close" and Doug is super fast with shipping, it just arrived about an hour ago.

My initial impressions are "Holy ****!!!!!" How's that for scientific? ;)

Ok, some photos as the good Doctor requested...

These are links because I'm pressed for time and don't have time to resize them so they display right in the forum. Click them and let your browser auto-size them to fit and it should be fine.

First....

http://home.comcast.net/~tddeangelo/spotter_branches.jpg

Those bare walnut branches are about 350 yards (near as I can measure on GoogleEarth. The corn behind it, depending exactly where in the field the edge of corn IS, would be between 600 and 800 yards. There was a fair bit of mirage, and I'm using an iPhone held up to the eyepiece.

Second....

http://home.comcast.net/~tddeangelo/spotter_house.jpg

That house is easier to pick up on GoogleEarth. Distance from where I shot the pic is about 1290-1300 yards.

Remember, those are shot on an iPhone (an older one, at that) being hand-held to the scope. I did not "alter" them in anyway except to crop off the extraneous black areas.

I think this spotter is gonna be just fine.....

:)

What! You'd give up a good post for a hunt? You already have the scope! :mrgreen: I believe you got the bargain of the decade. Congratulations. You'll only enjoy that spotting scope more with each use.

Awesome Tom, just awesome.. Wait till you see one of these through your scope, you will smile pretty wide!

9521744801105.jpg

9511191801105.jpg

8931191801105.jpg

6027644801105.jpg

2244291801105.jpg

3244291801105.jpg

Also, I tried the Swaro and Tripod in the Eberlestock today. It is going to work PERFECT!! I am so pumped right now..

The phone camera does not measure up! I am pleased that you are happy with your new scope. They have an awesome reputations and this one should last you for your lifetime, unless you get tired of it. I have a pair of Tessar T*, Zeiss Classic Armored binoculars that I have had for about 10 years and they are still impressing me with their clarity and contrast.

The new ones, out now, probably have better coatings than mine but I am still happy with what I have and hopefully you will as well, Tom.

Thanks, Charlie.

I took the spotter to the range yesterday. We were only shooting 100 yards, but it was nice to actually not curse at my spotter during the range session! And there was no "I think you doubled that last one". We knew for sure.

Then, and this was breath-taking, I took the spotter out last night to look at the moon. Wow. That was just awe-inspiring to look at the full moon in that spotter. To see detail and have the moon FILL the field of view....amazing. I brought the kids out and they loved it, too.

Wait until you are counting points on a bull moose at a mile, or measuring curl on a big horn across a valley and up the mountain side. Then, you'll absolutely fall in love with that spotting scope.

DrMike":3mqfbelj said:
Wait until you are counting points on a bull moose at a mile, or measuring curl on a big horn across a valley and up the mountain side. Then, you'll absolutely fall in love with that spotting scope.

Without a doubt!

DrMike":2klois2b said:

So who's taking me moose and sheep hunting???

;)

Hmmm....he'd likely kill me. If the forced marches up the mountain didn't, the Spider Monkey attacks surely would!

Ok Scott. You got me stocked right now~

Going elk hunting in 2 weeks!

Just wait until you see them carrying out all the activities that elk are required to carry out, and it looks as if you are in their living room. Then you'll be stoked! Great optics.

DrMike":28oqfywt said:
Just wait until you see them carrying out all the activities that elk are required to carry out, and it looks as if you are in their living room. Then you'll be stoked! Great optics.

Never in my life had i had that privilege! :cry:

Thatt's what I like is takeing my Zeiss binocs and watching the fun when Bull Elk Rut starts when the hair, eyeballs, urine and dirt fly! You can hear the grunting, horn clashing and grunting a mile away in the clean air.

OK, I need to send in my rebate forms for both the $500 rebate and the free tripod Zeiss is giving away (not sure of the quality, but hey, for free? I'll try it!), BUT...

The range where I typically shoot has long, continuous benches that make it impossible to use a full-size tripod.

I have a dinky little table-top tripod I got with a junk spotting scope some time ago, and it was just frustrating putting the Zeiss on there at the range. Seemed like putting a Schmidt & Bender scope on a Crickett 22, really.

Any suggestions for something I can use on the bench with the spotter?

Thanks, guys!

Slik makes a couple of small tripods that are not too expensive and appear to be well made. I use a Manfretto for my old Nikon-"Earth and Sky" 15-45x scope. I also use a Bogen Model 3030 Professional for my scope and my chronograph, as well as my Nikon digital cameras. They are a couple hundred $$.

Go to B&H Camera Video. I buy all of my stuff there in New York, from B&H or Adorama. You are close and can get stuff faster.

If you want a good light one to use hunting as well check out the carbon fiber Promaster 525T. It goes high enough for standing with an angled scope for me and collapses to 14". It's got 4 telescoping sections to make it go shorter rather than 3. With the Promaster 6160 head I have on it it weighs 3lbs 3oz, and can go down to 2lbs 15oz if you remove the center post that gains you the last 10" or so of height. The tripod alone weighs 2lbs plus the weight of whatever head you use.

I love mine, haven't seen anything else as versatile and stable for the weight. It is easier to pack since it collapses so short also. Most comparable ones with 3 telescoping leg sections are 18" or so at their shortest and weigh within an ounce or two of the same. S&S Archery's site has a real good review of them.

tddeangelo":18khhsr4 said:
OK, I need to send in my rebate forms for both the $500 rebate and the free tripod Zeiss is giving away (not sure of the quality, but hey, for free? I'll try it!), BUT...

The range where I typically shoot has long, continuous benches that make it impossible to use a full-size tripod.

I have a dinky little table-top tripod I got with a junk spotting scope some time ago, and it was just frustrating putting the Zeiss on there at the range. Seemed like putting a Schmidt & Bender scope on a Crickett 22, really.

Any suggestions for something I can use on the bench with the spotter?

Thanks, guys!

I use Bogen Manfroto 2930 Magic Arm. I hardly use my tripod anymore.

DSC01469.jpg

Back