Rear Pocket CCW confusion (mine) help?

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
ok........so Im picking up a CCW and looking at CC options.

Too fat to carry one IWB at least comfortably to what I'm precieving.

Rear "wallet" pocket (actually where I norally carry my checkbook), right side (right handed) and so far so good.........this looks doable.

What I dont get is the location of the "anti print" panel.

Panel of course goes on the outside (rear), gun inside but all grips then point to THE LEFT, not the right on right handed versions. Just dont look sensible to me........??

While not IMPOSSIBLE to turn your hand and shoulder around it sure feels like it would be more comfortable with the grip facing RIGHT. If you go through these motions the only thing you are rotating is your wrist and takes far less shoulder movement to do so to reach in your right rear pocket. (try it out)

No......never had one but checking out the movement and running it through my head .....obviously.

For those of you using such.......What am I missing here?

Just seems so obvious to me that I'm missing something.
GodBless for the help.
Steve

OK - I tried this out as you described - if I'm reading it right.

Seems easiest to me the way the holster designers have it, with the grip pointing towards the left. I keep my hand in about the same position as if I was drawing from a belt holster on my right side, just reach around a little farther back to get it from the right rear pocket. Nice and easy and fast.

Otherwise I find myself having to twist my right hand/wrist/arm awkwardly.

Perhaps I'm not following you?

Time to time I've carried a small gun in my hip pocket, but not often.

Guy

My fear here is that we're about to get photos of rear ends. The only saving grace will be some gun photos. I don't want to see the rear ends of a bunch of guys.

Mostly I just use a strong side holster BTW.

Guy

LOL! Thanks for the efforts guys.

Maybe it's a physical limitation on this ol fart or something?

Reaching in my back pocket with my fingers against my rump, my elbow remains at my side, shoulder doesn't have to rock back. The "normal" way, neither remains true, and takes more effort and time.......for me??? Reaching for MY wallet I only use my forefinger and thumb, not several fingers (that FOR ME takes more of a twisting effort).

Probably over thinking it......too previously, but came to mind running it all in my head while planning on what holster to choose. It's common for me to see guys who have bought several before settling on ONE. Hoping to not do that.

DID find some rear pocket holsters that allows you to put the imprint panel on whichever side you want so a moot point. With such I can give em both a "shot". Could easily be that getting the pistol OUT doing it my way might be an issue. I'll find out I guess.

As said, I'm probably missing something but SO FAR.......the grip to my right just seems a more effortless move......and less "advertising" that I am doing so.

Thanks, once again.
GodBless
Steve

Probably the biggest point here may be that each should choose whatever style holster and means to conceal that works the best for them.........
Hardly "news" but worth mentioning.
God Bless
Steve

As in all things, it seems, if one does much searching online, this isnt a new discussion.
It's referred here to "palm in or palm out" methods.

FWIW for those interested, here is a link to one of them.

A friend and I discussed one of the objections there, that of with the "palm out" method I am favoring the concensus is one may inadvertantly be pointing the muzzle at himself during the swing forward.

As usual, I'm in the minority on this. :mrgreen:
I see the logic if one does not practice his method of drawing until it "happens" without conscious thought on the entire move and already can see what most will think and that they will agree...on the whole.

In MY case, I think I have a bum shoulder. Drawing the traditional palm in method is just flat painful!! :|

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/lcp ... -draw.html

I cant say which I will choose, only that I'll try em both out.
I see their point. The direction my ol body will freely move will be the deciding factor.

God Bless
Steve

Sounds good.

Be careful while practicing. People have managed to shoot themselves drawing from holster or pocket!

Guy

Think about it..... If your grips are to the left, and you draw from your right hip pocket, when you bring the gun out and to the front, the muzzel is pointing away from you. If the grips were to the right, in your right hip pocket, chances are your muzzel is pointing toward you, as you bring the gun out and to the front of you.
My desantos that fits iside the belt at the small of the back, for my 1911, is fitted the same way. I didn't understand it either at first, and told the salseman that he had given me the wrong holster. Thats when I learned WHY!

Sorry for delay.
Pistol is a Springfield XD-S 45

I fully understand and appreciate the replys and time spent.

I have figured out, practicing with another (mine is on order) that "palm in" , grip to the left....flat dont work for me. Like if I stick it in my belt in back......grip has to point to my gun hand or just flat about impossible for this ol body to make it work. Still working on it but more time when the gun arrives and holster is chosen.

Am posting a little "funny" about the whole "gun thing" in off topic forum. Hopefully it's not too offensive but sitting there this morning thinking about the subject of my post........I BUST OUT LAUGHING at the Irony of it all.

GodBless
Steve

It also doesn't need to be all the way to the center of your back
Try moving it closer to the side you draw from

I have seen J-Frames carried in the front pocket with a cylinder width of ~1.3". The XD Service .45acp is right at ~1". Shouldn't be a concern in slacks. It is a bit tall though.

I could never carry rear pocket. Too uncomfortable for me. A Friend of mine is a bit large and he has no problems carrying IWB. He's a cop and prefers strong side but when he's off duty he often carries IWB.

I carry my Sig 229 and Glock 23 with a Comptac Mtac holster. They are really comfortable to carry and conceal really well, also the Kydex makes re-holstering a breeze without looking or fumbling with your non-shooting hand.Lee

I carry a Ruger LCP in my front right pocket when other carry options are not available to me.
Picture009.jpg

JD338

I used to carry right side appendix with an outside the waistband holster. With a slightly larger teashirt my Sig P938 was hidden perfectly with no printing, however sitting was not the most comfortable. I recently switched to the outside the waistband 4 o'clock carry on the right side and it is just as good if not better. I have found that you need more forward cant on the holster in order to comfortably reach the gun but a loose teashirt works perfectly. Tried the inside the waistband holster idea and was not comfortable with it, just didn't feel right.

Back