Duty 9mm

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
What does everyone recommend for a good 9mm duty weapon (besides a Glock). I want something full sized, as I already have a XDM Compact, with a high mag capacity.
Any good recommendations?

I have carried a Sig on duty since 1990, first a 226 9mm, then a 220 in 45 ACP until 1995 when my department adopted the 229 in 40. All have been completely reliable and accurate.

That said, the M&P's are what I carry most often off duty and would have absolutely no qualms about one as a duty gun, regardless of caliber.

Just out of curiosity, is the 9mm caliber your personal pick or a mandated one?

Ron

It's mandated...I have my XDM stoked with hot rounds though. First one in the pipe is a 147grn Gold dot, and the rest are 124grn Gold dots. If I could carry a 45, I would have an FNX 45, but alas, its only 9mm...

I am leaning towards a Sig 226 Tac-Ops for its high-cap capability, or a H&K P30

Not sure how much handgun experience you have, but my first suggestion is to see which one(s) fit your hand the best. The best placed shots are the most effective regardless of caliber. I know Sigs cost more but personally I think you're on the right track.

A second category you might look into, if you haven't already, is the availability of duty holsters for your chosen gun.

Good Luck!!

Ron

G'Day Fella's,

Ajvigs, I'm not a fan of any service pistol, that doesn't have a Manually Operated Thumb Safety!

The thought behind this is, if you have your pistol taken from you (etc), any Perp can shoot you with a Glock etc because these pistols have No Manual Override of the fire control system!
If you have a 1911, a Sig Sauer, CZ-75 etc etc with a manually operated thumb safety, unless the Perp has an intimate knowledge of the pistol, it will give you some additional amount of time, to do something about rectifying that situation !!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Whats wrong with the old Browing Hi Power. Thats what I would carry if I had to carry a 9mm.

Bruce Mc":tw9v74l5 said:
Whats wrong with the old Browing Hi Power. Thats what I would carry if I had to carry a 9mm.

Not a deal breaker for me but it is a single action. Some do not like that.

G'Day Fella's,

Bruce Mc, no arguments from me, the Hi-Power would be a bloody good choice!

FYI, earlier this week, I got in a new Sig Sauer P226 X5 ALL ROUNDER (9x19), for a customer.
They really are an exceedingly well made and fitted pistol!
Unfortunately, I forgot how heavy they are (even empty)!!!
Sure, they are a full size pistol but I wouldn't want one on my hip all day!

Doh!
Homer

Weight does not really bother me anymore. I carried a beretta M-9 for almost my whole 20+ years as a cop and since 9/11/2001 also an m-4 along with the beretta.

G'Day Fella's,

Fotis, thanks for the Reality Check on this!

When I get a chance, I'll weigh a variety of centerfire pistols, just for a comparison.
It would be interesting, as I may be jumping to conclusions on the weight of this Sig!!!

Doh!
Homer

Sorry gents, but let me interject something here...

I carried a 1911 for years to the point that when I finally took it off, I felt as if I was leaning to my weak side. Sorta been compensationing for the weight.

But here is my rub. I often hear folks say, 'but it is so heavy', when picking a handgun. So, they pick something nice, light and easy to carry, but when they go to shoot it, they find it kicks like a Missouri mule. At which point they either stop carrying it or they never learn how to properly handle it.

Sure, My X-Frame Smith is too heavy to strap onto my hip without major framing and bracing, but then again, it's too big to conceal anyway unless I want to wear a cowboy buster the rest of my life.

But I have carried a 42 ounce N-Frame (4 incher), IWB without discomfort. The holster makes the carry easy if properly designed and well built.

When carrying either open or concealed, the weight can play a factor, but it should NEVER outweight the dependability or reliability of firearm.

It is sorta like Fit, Form, & Function. Does it properly Fit your hand? Does it Form a good balance in your hand? Does it Function as required??

If those aspects fill the bill, then fill the holster with it. Weight be damned.

OK.... gonna set my soapbox on fire... careful of the smoke.

Sig 226..I carried the 9mm version for 17 years after our Department switched from .38. I then carried a sig 229 in .40 S&W until Retirement. I have both in the Safe. I still carry the .229 as a concealed carry along with my glock 23. Lee

G'Day Fella's,

I weighed two pistols this morning, the details are as follows;
Sig Sauer P226 S X5 All Round 9mm= 1172 Grams (pistol only, no magazine)
Kimber 1911 Stainless Target II .38 Super= 1122 Grams (pistol only, no magazine)

So the Sig weighs an extra 50 Grams which is about ?? ounces more!
Not a heap of difference, when you handle them side by side and in a larger caliber, that extra weight will probably help in sight picture recovery!
Sorry I thought it best to weigh the pistols empty, as I only have 10 round mags available for the Sig.

Doh!
Homer

I carried a few Sigs and they are pigs compared to any of my Glocks. A full size unloaded Glock G21 45ACP weighs 26oz/750grams. My G29 10mm carries great and only weighs 24oz/680g. I notice more felt recoil and muzzle flip with the Sig than most other pistols. Think it has to do with the higher bore to frame height?

Back