suppressed .22 pistol

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My son had a chance to shoot a suppressed .22 pistol at the range today. That's what he gets for hanging around his dad's "interesting" friends. :grin:

We shot a Smith & Wesson 622, which is a really light, mostly aluminum, semi-auto. This one is fitted with a Gemtech suppressor and we were firing standard velocity .22 long rifle ammo. Yes, it's plenty quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection.

IMG_7157.jpg

Interestingly the 622's barrel is located low in the pistol, leaving the sights well above the suppressor, without going to expensive aftermarket sights.

Three of us took turns shooting the little pistol, all at 50 yards, dinging the steel silhouette shot after shot. It was a real fun way to go through a bunch of .22 ammo!

Guy

Talk about fun at the range! I can always get a twisted smile or giggle out of anyone that shoots my suppressed 22 LR. It has been the best money I have spent on firearms. You can get a good quality 22LR can for as little as $300 and your onetime Fed tax of $200.

001.jpg

I can believe that would be great fun. Guy, you'll have to warn your son about hanging around with your friends. :grin:

Guy,

Tell him to stay away from them or it will cost money :twisted: I'm currently planning my centerfire suppressor purchase. They can turn into a terrible addiction like buying more rifles, tattoos, or Scandinavian girlfriends! :mrgreen: The Scandinavian girlfriends was BW (Before Wife) just to clarify! Anyway.......For anyone that has never had the opportunity to try one out, they should! They for one cut down most if not all muzzle blast, reduce recoil, and help with accuracy by damping barrel whip and reduce harmonics of the barrel. My suppressor has been a great tool for new shooters. It takes all of the fear of noise out of live fire.

Suppressors are a definite sickness. Like Brian said, they will empty out your wallet. I started out with a 338 for the Windrunner. Then a 223 sounded like a good idea. Then I shot Brian's 22. Had to have one of those. Then I needed one to suppress the 45. Thank goodness for the trust or the local law enforcement and I would be on a first name basis.

Suppressors definitely make shooting more fun for me. The huge reduction in recoil and muzzle flash (think 338 Lapua) makes me a better shooter and probably a more popular neighbor. Now, just need a couple more........

The last one I fired was a High Standard Citation with a Norrel Suppressor. Actually the barrel and suppressor were all in one.

Sucker was so smooth...when firing it indoors....all you could hear was the brass tinkling as they hit the floor.

large can...... white line painted down the center inline with where the sights should be.... at 25 yards it was dead on.

Just bought my wife a Ruger 22/45 with threaded muzzle...... hhmm....... let me think.....

The coolest one so far for me was my buddies Ruger 77/44 mag with integral suppressor. He uses 44 special loads to keep them subsonic. That gave me the idea to put a can on my 1895 45-70 or get an 458 SOCOM AR upper. I have shot subsonic 500gr softs in the 45-70 and was impressed.

Back