Police Qual Course

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Bright and early this chilly 30-degree morning, went over to the gun club with two of my favorite handguns. Did a little 25 yard practice, mostly with the .22, then shot the 30-round police qual course with my .45 Kimber. Scored a 297/300, and felt pretty good about that.

dXlqu7Xl.jpg

Used my 185 gr handloads for the qual course, they sure do shoot nicely.

Regards, Guy

Damn wind.!
Are you certified by the state to conduct the retired officer quals for any former Washington cops? I'd much rather come see you then drive over the pass to King County/ Seattle area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":3lkxeak2 said:
Damn wind.!
Are you certified by the state to conduct the retired officer quals for any former Washington cops? I'd much rather come see you then drive over the pass to King County/ Seattle area.

I'm not. Sorry. If I had kept a reserve commission, yes, but I didn't.

I used to qualify several different retired officers every year. Easy course. Have you checked with your local sheriff or police chief to see if they offer it? Several departments do.

Guy

I have but none were last spring. I'll check this spring before I head over. Thanks I appreciate you getting back to me.

Hey Guy, what is Washington's qualification course, our course here in Texas requires minimum 50 rounds. I can generally count on dropping a point or two weak handed.

Bruce Mc":1lg77oda said:
Hey Guy, what is Washington's qualification course, our course here in Texas requires minimum 50 rounds. I can generally count on dropping a point or two weak handed.

Oh, I don't know what the course is at the Academy now, or with the State Patrol.

Each agency has been free to come up with their own course, so they vary pretty widely. The one my department has used for years is something like this:

25 yards: ten shots (five from each side of the barricade, with a tactical reload between)

15 yards: 5 shots kneeling, barricade, with a type one malfunction clearance

7 yards: 5 shots broken down as follows:

three shot strong-side failure drill
speed reload
two shots center mass, weak side

3 yards: 4 shots, pivot drills (two pivoting right, two pivoting left)

3 yards: 6 shots (two one-handed failure drills, strong side and weak side, each with two to the body and one to the head)

There's the 30 shot course. I designed it to give the guys some strong & weak hand shooting, some reloads, a malfunction clearing drill (with a dummy round in their mag), position shooting, use of barricade/cover...

Probably too many shots from 25 yards, but I do like to stress accuracy & marksmanship, not just speed drills at easy distances.

Guy

And the "retired officers course" is a piece of cake compared to that one!

15 yards and in, with generous time limits and nothing demanding. Nice for us old guys who want to be able to continue to carry in all 50 states.

3 yards - 4 rounds, two body, two head

5 yards - 3 rounds strong hand only

5 yards - 3 rounds support hand only

7 yards - 5 rounds

10 yards - 5 rounds

15 yards - 5 rounds

All with pretty generous time limits. I'm glad they kept the strings of fire to 5-shots, so guys can keep using their little J-Frame S&W .38's if they want.

Guy

We currently run a total of 50 rounds, starting at 25 yards. We used to shoot 5 rounds at 50 yards, your choice of offhand, kneeling or prone, but too many people were complaining and said they'd never have to shoot 50 yards with a handgun. We had a weak administrator that gave in and to the displeasure of several of us instructors we did away with it.

Yes, the 50 - yard line has gone away, and that's a shame. It's not all that tough to make body hits with a decent sidearm, at 50 yards.

Ask the then-young Air Force MP, who shot a bad guy at 70 yards. Fairchild AFB, mid 1990's. Bad guy had an AK-47 or something similar as I recall. MP had his issue 9mm Beretta. One shot. Head shot. Problem solved. I understand he went on to have a good career. I'd hope so, after saving MANY lives with that one, 70 yard shot from his pistol.

Guy

Back