LEOSA Qualification Today!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Qualified at the police range this morning, allowing me to carry concealed in all 50 states as a retired officer. It's a nice perk. Besides, I got to go out to the range that I ran for years when I was a cop. My old buddy Kirk is Rangemaster these days.

With my 45 1911 Kimber, I shot a 97.5% and also shot my 3" 357 magnum S&W Model 60. I did use 38's in the little J-frame revolver. It was a great way to spend the morning! Beautiful day at the range as well, and nice to get caught up with my old cop buddies. Hard to believe I've been retired from that job for nine years now.

acAcAz2h.jpg

Am thinking that I just might go shooting with my youngest son this afternoon. He's seeking to improve his handgun skills.

Regards, Guy

It's been three years I think, since I shot 100% on it... Obviously am not getting enough handgun practice!

Hmm.... Wonder what I can do about that.... ;)

BTW, my son and I did get over to the gun club this afternoon. It's only a 10 minute drive from the house. We took a steel silhouette target. I took a 9mm 1911 Kimber with target sights... My goodness that thing shoots well. Soft recoil in the full size all steel pistol as well. Brought the Ruger 22/45 bull barrel with target sights as well. Love that old thing. I've had it at least 20 years.

My son brought his 9mm Ruger EC9s. For a tiny gun with a long trigger pull, it's surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot.

We did some accuracy work, then some defensive handgun drills. My skills are coming back, and his are growing. Besides, it's FUN!

Regards, Guy

It's been three years I think, since I shot 100% on it... Obviously am not getting enough handgun practice!

Hmm.... Wonder what I can do about that.... ;)

BTW, my son and I did get over to the gun club this afternoon. It's only a 10 minute drive from the house. We took a steel silhouette target. I took a 9mm 1911 Kimber with target sights... My goodness that thing shoots well. Soft recoil in the full size all steel pistol as well. Brought the Ruger 22/45 bull barrel with target sights as well. Love that old thing. I've had it at least 20 years.

My son brought his 9mm Ruger EC9s. For a tiny gun with a long trigger pull, it's surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot.

We did some accuracy work, then some defensive handgun drills. My skills are coming back, and his are growing. Besides, it's FUN!

Regards, Guy
Guy, I qualified in February and got very lucky, scoring 100 percent on the target. I practice during the winter months at least once every two weeks. I did switch from a .45 Sig to a 9MM Sig (P229). The .45 was beating me up a bit and the 9 was just a pleasure to shoot. I noticed you felt the same way about the 1911 Kimber. I've got a few years on you (79 years old) and the wrists in general appreciate a softer shooting handgun.

Guy, I qualified in February and got very lucky, scoring 100 percent on the target. I practice during the winter months at least once every two weeks. I did switch from a .45 Sig to a 9MM Sig (P229). The .45 was beating me up a bit and the 9 was just a pleasure to shoot. I noticed you felt the same way about the 1911 Kimber. I've got a few years on you (79 years old) and the wrists in general appreciate a softer shooting handgun.

Ya, I qualified with the 45, but shooting the 9mm 1911 in the afternoon was a real pleasure. Dad switched from the 45 to the 9mm sometime in his 80's.

Guy

Guy or anyone else:

Who can administer this course? NRA instructor or?????

Guy or anyone else:

In NYS, only a certified LEOSA trainer or a DCJS Police instructor can administer the course. All agencies can recertify their retirees, but most don't have the resources or inclination to do so. Businesses have developed around the need to recertify all the retired Police and Peace Officers. In NYS, if you carry a handgun based on your LEOSA status, you must carry your retirement ID card and a valid LEOSA recertification card.

Interestingly enough, you cannot purchase a handgun with your LEOSA credentials. You must obtain a pistol permit and receive a purchase document, just like any other civilian. If you carry your former duty weapon, you can carry original high-capacity magazines under NYS law, even though we have a 10 rnd limit here.

Guy or anyone else:

Here in Washington it must be a law enforcement firearms instructor. All of those whom I know are active duty officers. I wonder if a retired officer could be certified to conduct the course?

Guy

Congratulations Guy.
Three years? Looks like a great excuse to get thee out to the range to awaken those sleeping skills so you can shoot 💯 again.

Vince
Yup. I'm practicing weekly again, but mostly with the 22 for budget reasons. Even handloading, the 45 gets expensive to shoot anymore.

Guy

Back