Flight/layover

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Looking at flights from Washington State to Namibia - one has a nearly 12 hour layover in Frankfurt, Germany. From about 8:30 in the morning to 8:00 in the evening.

I've never been to Germany, so that seems like an excellent opportunity to spend a day in Frankfurt!

But... What is done with the rifle during that time? Is it secure at the airport? May I leave it there all day, and expect it to be on my flight to Namibia?

No, I've never flown internationally with a firearm. Well, except for some USMC stuff long ago, and we all had firearms! :)

Thanks!

Guy

12hours is a long layover. Plan a little trip outside the airport for a few hours to get some blood circulation.. 12 hours in an airport is boring.
Yes!. The airline store you rifle for you during the period of your connecting flights.

Luckily my layover in Frankfurt is not as long heading to Johannesburg, but good to know info Rigbymauser.

Guy, when are you headed to Namibia?
And what are you hunting for, and with whom?

We leave Canada on May 7th

Unless I win the lottery, not until 2019.

2018's hunting and fishing are all here in North America.

Guy

Guy,

When I flew to Australia I booked a flight with a nine hour layover in Hong Kong.
That gave me the opportunity to hop on a bus and go explore a bit. Ended up at the Harley Davidson shop and got a T-shirt. You won’t regret poking around in a strange town for a bit. I want to go back to Hong Kong and stay for a few days now.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, your firearm will stay at the airport. I am assuming you are flying Lufthansa. It will stay with the airline and be loaded on your next flight. Go around and have fun. Just outside the airport is a hotel you can walk to and relax, take a shower, etc....

You're stuff will be fine Guy. Good thing you're going into their vs some other known Countries that Guns tend to never make their destination!

Frankfurt is a nice city, fairly easy to get around, great transportation system, but I haven't been their in 20 years either.

Guy, go around the 1st of October and have an Octoberfest. lunch--you will not regret it !

Hire a car with an english speaking driver, in advance and in 8 hours the driver will show you the best places for one to see in Frankfurt, in such a small amount of time, which will include at least two of the Octoberfest festival locations. One will be for lunch.

your firearms will be fine, it will check thru just like your other luggage.

This could be your absolutely best place to change planes in the fall because the city is beautiful, clean, friendly and as safe as any other "big" city.--plus Octoberfest

Will your wife be accompanying you on this trip Guy ?

Guy seems like Frankfurt would be a great place to explore during that layover. I’m a history nut, so I figure that would be a great place to explore the old world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can reply to part off this thread.

Octoberfest is a lot of fun Guy and Frankfurt is a very nice city.

Best of luck Guy on your hunt. I would like to hunt Africa someday

Although it is a senior thread and may nit be tge appropiate one for my question but I do nit want to open new.

Soo,

In November I will go to US. As many bullet here is almost impossible to get I have a vision that I may manage to buy some boxes from nosler/sierra/speer.
But I have no clue if it is allowed to place it in my drop off luggage or not.
I will ask the security guys in the airport but maybe you know it.

Thank you!

I don't want to speak for any airline, but would you kindly specify - do you mean loaded ammunition, or just bullets?

Within the United States, you can travel on an airline with either bullets or loaded ammunition in checked baggage. There are some restrictions for loaded ammunition that vary by airline. For traveling outside to the US, my understanding is that it is also permitted (lots of hunters travel) but there are customs matters which will be the most important.

I would expect that outside of potential customs issues, you may find shipping or mailing bullets (just bullets) back home might be the best course. Bullets are heavy, and over-weight charges on checked luggage tend to be very high.

I just hope Lorka can find the bullets he is seeking-still a hit or miss supply chain in the states. . .

I meant only just the bullets itself.
Well I have to re-plan probably. Here the customs tend to become very curious about packages.

Nosler and Sierra ammo here is like the white crow... but as I read in US also.

Back