Working the Boys

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Two of the fellows I've helped with loading in the past asked if I would help them loading for new rifles. Josiah and Nahum drove down the two hour trip last weekend to begin the process of working up loads for their new 30-06 rifles. We did some work, but there wasn't enough time to get everything completed since they brought quite a bit of old brass they were given. Cleaning and prepping consumed their day last Saturday, and I had a full day on Sunday. So, they came down again this Saturday. We had a potluck at church, and after church we went back to the loading room. Noah, my grandson, asked to join us. It was the first time I've worked in the loading room in about a year. (That truck crash took something out of me.)

Here we are giving some instruction last weekend.

As I said, the boys returned this weekend and Noah joined them as we worked up a variety of test loads. Here are the boys at various stages of work.

Noah, waiting his turn:

Noah, priming for the 325 WSM (which he appears to have appropriated for himself).

Josiah had just finished working up his test loads for his 30-06.

Nahum, prepping his brass.

Nahum throwing his charges.

Now, when the boys come down this coming week, we'll spend a day at the range. I gotta' say, it is always fun to work with young men who want to learn. Nahum and Josiah are deadly serious about working up their loads. They are responsible for getting meat for their family. As some of you know, I've worked with these boys before to take moose for the family. We also loaded a number of 300 Savage rounds for Nahum.

Just thought I'd share with the forum.

Very nice of you to teach the boys DR. Mike and it don't look like you are going to run out of components anytime soon.

69gto":xz509hs5 said:
Very nice of you to teach the boys DR. Mike and it don't look like you are going to run out of components anytime soon.

I loaded commercially for many, many years. So, even though I've not purchased any components in some time, there is still a lot on the shelves. The boys asked how much I was charging them, and I told them that I wanted them each to take a moose and give me a picture. They thought that sounded like a fair exchange. :mrgreen: I hope to be working through this stuff over the next couple of years.

Good for you Mike. It's pretty neat to have kids eager to learn the stuff we live to do. As well as many of the factory rifles shoot with factory ammo now days I bet reloading will diminish some in the years to come.

That is great, DrMike. Handsome bunch of young lads that are eager to learn makes teaching fun.

Dang boys just keep growing. They're all taller than me now, and far stronger. These are the kind of people that I need to go hunting with me any more. It was neat to spend Canada Day doing something like this, however.

I seem to never have more fun than when introducing a young man (no women yet!) to reloading. They think it's alchemy!

Mike, that is priceless spending quality time with the young ones and teaching them about the things we love to do. It's great having them follow our footsteps. (y)

Thats a great story! Great way to ensure our traditions and skills are passed on to the future. I was fortunate to have a couple of “old timer” mentors that never minded all my questions. Many days of discussion and hands on reloading and minor gunsmithing. I still pick these guys’ brains and take care of these fellas whenever I can. Now I’m kinda the old timer and have my daughters and several young men that I get to help. I swear some have me on speed dial, 8a.m. to 11p.m. Lol. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is fantastic Dr Mike. Very kind if you to give guidance to the younger generation. You have taught them far more than how to reload

Very nice Mike. You have a crew of meat packers right there! Doesn't hurt to grease the skids with them a little either! HA!

Good observation, Scotty! I'm getting to be somewhat decrepit, so all the help I can finagle makes it possible to keep on moving just a bit longer.

DrMike":2dzsjvdq said:
Good observation, Scotty! I'm getting to be somewhat decrepit, so all the help I can finagle makes it possible to keep on moving just a bit longer.

That's right buddy! Plus them young fellas barely feel the weight on their backs!

Great job DrMike. There seems to be know better satisfaction then teaching someone the tools of the trade and our heritage.

Back