Couple of E-Tip questions

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
a couple of E-Tip questions for our members:

1) how would you rate the expansion of a 7mm 150 gr E-Tip versus a similar TTSX for whitetail deer when started out at 3200 fps? How about smaller calibers such as .257?

2) if you were elk hunting, would you prefer a 7mm 160 gr AccuBond, 150 gr E-tip or 150 gr TTSX?

Thanks

Jimbeaux

Quick answer to your questions.

The expansion of the E-Tip and the TTSX are essentially equivalent. The design for these bullets works very well at the velocities for which they are intended. The smaller calibres work about as well, in my experience.

If I were elk hunting with any of my 7mm rifles, I would not hesitate to use any one of the three bullets you list. They have all worked well for me in several 7mm iterations.

The 160 AccuBond is very proven for us as an elk bullet. Saying that, just like Mike mentioned, they are all good.

All appear to be excellent bullets. Saying that I have not used the TTSX but I do know that the E-tip and AccuBond will both work superbly. I would use the one that my rifle likes/shoots the best!

The 7mm 150 gr E-Tip is an accurate bullet too.

JD338

150 out of 280 after going into the spine from behind at close range.
3c09ad020a67701845d343ea5292ad6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t have anything to say about on game performance, as I still use my tested loads for PT’s. They(E-Tips)group under 1” in the three rifles I’ve worked up loads for though. They don’t foul the barrels either.

Sometimes they like A jump to the rifling, and sometimes they don’t. Your rifle will determine that preference. Pressures will build quickly with them but they seem to get higher velocities than a c&c bullet with the same powder charge. You’ll hit your max load before c&c bullets. My loads look to follow the lines of Barnes load data, mostly.

E-Tip pressures seem to rise quickly when you're closing in on your rifles max load. You'll have great looking loads(pressure wise) then it will pass by flattened primers, and go strait to ejector marks. I go by how my rifle "feels" when I pull the trigger, along with fired case condition. Shoot enough safe loads to know when something feels off about your rifle. When you know your guns you can just tell. Not to mention that's when you get lights out accurate with a particular rifle.

Sounds like you can't go wrong. I've yet to shoot anything with the e-tip, but have been impressed with the performance of accubonds and TTSX's.

Dougfir":3ak9jvf3 said:
Sounds like you can't go wrong. I've yet to shoot anything with the e-tip, but have been impressed with the performance of accubonds and TTSX's.

A quality tool to add to your box. I like them, just haven't used them on game yet. I have E-Tips loaded, they are very accurate, just always gravitate to my ugly old Partitions.

Alderman":3ajcrnbp said:
150 out of 280 after going into the spine from behind at close range.
3c09ad020a67701845d343ea5292ad6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much penetration all up ?

Kevin

IME, the 160 AccuBond bullet has been about the easiest bullet to find an accurate load for in several different rifles. Their terminal performance has been excellent.
The E-tip bullets were finicky in my rifles and early pressure signs were evident so I looked to other monos when I was interested in unleaded bullets.

Given an accurate load, any of the three bullets mentioned would likely work fine.

Back