Range day

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I demilled all my 28 Nosler loads due to them showing pressure. Turned the necks to remove a troublesome donut. Turns out that was the problem. No more pressure spikes. I took the opportunity to try a couple other powders and they worked pretty well.
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg

I also put some new loads through the 17x223. Might have found a new sage rat load.
IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg

Half-inch groups, with a good 175 at over 3,000 fps... Nice! (y)

PLEASE don't tell this ol' cop that doughnuts cause problems! :wink:

Guy

Excellent results. Those are groups designed to satisfy the most discriminating shooter.

Nice! That 28 Nosler is pretty impressive. How far off the lands are those ABLRs? I could never get them to group worth a hoot in anything...

I should imagine that the 175 grain ABLR launched at 3000+ fps will get the job done. And the 17X223 is screaming.

remingtonman_25_06":1zbi253v said:
Nice! That 28 Nosler is pretty impressive. How far off the lands are those ABLRs? I could never get them to group worth a hoot in anything...

The 175 ABLR touches the lands at 3.615". My best groups are at 3.49". If my math is correct that would be a .125" jump. I never start ABLRs or Accubonds closer than .050 off the lands. Most of the time I have found them to shoot best around .1" off the lands. The BTs I start .01 off.

Scott

My experience mirrors yours, Scott. I almost always have wound up with a 0.100 inch jump to the lands with either the AB or the ABLR. Cup-and-core bullets, such as the BT, are almost always loaded close to the lands, and 0.010 inches is about where they end up every time.

Sure is nice when it all comes together like that, great shooting! Those 175's at 3050-3100 fps is quite an amazing load.

muleman":1kiotjx5 said:
I demilled all my 28 Nosler loads due to them showing pressure. Turned the necks to remove a troublesome donut. Turns out that was the problem. No more pressure spikes. I took the opportunity to try a couple other powders and they worked pretty well.
View attachment 3
View attachment 2

I also put some new loads through the 17x223. Might have found a new sage rat load.

View attachment 1

Scott, that 77 grain load of H1000 has shot the same out of my cousins rifle during load work with the 175 Partition and 175 ELD. The Partition went 3110 average out of his rifle and accuracy has been fantastic. I almost felt bad about leaving a 100 FPS on the table until it was knotholing about any decent 175, just seated a little differently for each bullet. That's a nice shooting Nosler.

Scott, that 77 grain load of H1000 has shot the same out of my cousins rifle during load work with the 175 Partition and 175 ELD. The Partition went 3110 average out of his rifle and accuracy has been fantastic. I almost felt bad about leaving a 100 FPS on the table until it was knotholing about any decent 175, just seated a little differently for each bullet. That's a nice shooting Nosler.[/quote]

Scotty,
You'll like my Nosler even more cuz it's built on a Win 70 post '64 CRF magnum action! 8) I was mistaken about the Retumbo load. It's actually doing 3160fps.

Same as my cousins rifle. It’s a danged cool rifle. I think I remember seeing pics of your 28 Nosler when you built it.

Sounds like I’m not giving up too much with H1000 speed wise either.

Back