90gr BlitzKings

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Just loaded up some of these 90gr Sierras today ,for my 25 Whelen, oddly enough they shoot exactly into the same place at 300yds
As a 75gr Vmax! Using 60gr of RL25 they avg 3350 out of a 24" barrel , I am thinking this may be absolute devastation for the coyotes around here! What a sexy looking bullet! The old Rem 700 likes that combo as we wound up shooting a 1 5/8" (cntr/cntr)group at 300yds today, and put 5 more into a 8"circle on a steel plate at 550!! So we are real happy
With that shooting today! (y)
IMG_20160215_170018993.jpg
E

That is some real nice shooting Earle, way to go!
Hoping a song dog will show up soon to meet up with a BlitzKing.

JD338

Thanks JD, that steel plate at 550 is fun, painted it Floresent Orange, so hits show up nicely as black marks, running 12X and chart said two mils down would do it and it DID. No problem to see the hits,
But just enough wind , i couldnt hear it ........
E
Here is the first one!image1-2.JPG

Nice shooting Earle. Hope to see some pics showing how these do on coyotes. BN

BretN,
Here is a another victim! Those are ,40/50 lb English Setters looking him over. #3
image3-1.JPG

The setters look as if they were pleased with the shot. (y) Excellent work!

Good looking coyote! Congrats!

Also - you're having more doggone fun loading for your .25 cal rifle... :grin:

Guy,
I go in phases on things and have really slowed way down on shooting the last few years................. but since I bought the 25 Whelen it has certainly brought back a lot of the old interest. I just loaded some of those 120gr Speer BT today , so will likely be getting the new Leupold ready to go onto the 25 shortly and see how they actually shoot and get the custom shop ready to cut me a turret for that load................ the nose of that bullet is sorta strange as because it is soooooooooo long, sorta like a Berger, When it is sitting against the lands, the OAL only comes out about 3.195 ! Which of course to get that short of a OAL, it pushes that bullet back a long ways, so today even just the 58.5grs of RL25, the powder is getting compressed pretty good, to get that long bullet down in there, I seated em to 3.185 ,so I would be ten grand off the lands,
Scotty quoted a OAL on his gun and it was like .060 longer than my chamber is ????? Don't know if its just a short chamber in this SPS or whats up , my old book says 3.250 but there is no way that is happening with this bullet.................

Man, it seems like those 90's really shoot E.. Those are on the list of "to try" bullets.

Was that coyote taken with a 90 BK or another?

Earle,

Congratulations on the second coyote. What bullet did you use and how was the exit wound?

JD338

That is actually number# 3 dead Jim , (5 Total counting run offs) However I have hit two others , one with a 100 Pro Hunter that I knocked down, that got back up and ran off, (hit in the back of rear leg, I predict he will make it) also I wounded one with the 75gr Vmax ,that was spraying blood back out the entrance hole, all the way to the woods,300yds,away.[I predict he wont make it] But of course at nite, with ear muffs on , I actually thought I missed it! Next morning I see I had dinged him, However it was 20 below that nite, and interestingly that blood was actually freezing! At that temperture before it ever hit the snow! The next morning it still looked like" tiny red ball bearings" laying and rolling around all over,The snow surface! However so far The 90gr BlitzKing did its job, this was another lousy hit in the kidneys, and it did pass right thru to answer your question,but it flattened her instantly, she never wiggled! Nasty report comes back off the animal, when it connected! So far so good, bullet seating on the Blitz was 3.278! Have to seat em with a 270 die or you can get tip deformation.

Good stuff. Did the bullet blow thru them E?

Why are you having to seat them with a 270 die?

Scotty the tip of these BlitzKings are know to deform if you have any problem starting them, I read where guys just suggested
Using a 270 die so the inner cup is larger striking down further on the bullet eliminating any problems. Those dont touch my lands wsy out to 3.285!
Anyway I did have a pass thru on this first coyote, however all it hit was thr kidneys!
Again not rnough wind correction! But for some reason it knocked her flat she never wiggled?? Guessing the shock wave must have gone into her spinal area for an instant kill, so thats 3/5 now, one run off from 100gr Pro Hunter, hit just infront of the tail, 25kt wind.............one run off with 75gr Vmax, I think hit thru bottom of stomach? Lots of blood spraying out of the entrance hole, went 300yds and lay down for few hours,
Got up and hobbled off another 400 yds to the woods, very little blood then?
Cant blame any bullets for poor hits, but between strong crosswinds, snows storms, and constant light problems,what would be dead easy at 300, in broad daylight, no wind, no snowstorm, is actually pretty challanging in the middle of the nite, with everything against ya..............
Under the adverse conditions, I often feel like I only have a ghostly image, kinda now you see it ,now you dont ,sorta thing. :eek:
Anyway here is #4
20160215_070201.jpg

Oh yeah, those are tough conditions for sure.

Sounds like those 90's are pretty tough on the coyotes though. It'll be interesting to see what you get as you keep stacking them up. I'm sure the local deer herd doesn't mind either.

Well of course time will tell, and I really dont think I can judge these bullets until I have shot at least a dozen dogs with them, another thing that is bad on shooting them at night is I dont really see their reaction to the hit, all I see is a flash of light and am basically nite vision blinded for a few seconds, alot of times I am not even sure I have hit them...... many times I have no idea which way they ran off in? Over the years I have found mature coyotes in Maine are very different creatures than coyotes in Oklahoma for example, where we used to see them out all day long, here in Maine seeing a mature coyote that spends 99% of his life in the thick woods, its almost a novelity to see one in broad daylight, to this day there are tons of local deer hunters that
Have yet to kill their FIRST coyote............ and I would bet ya that less than 1% of the hunters here have ever called one in and killed it?

Nice shooting Earle. Could you move that carcass in to 200-250 yards, so you light em up better? Or won't they come that close to the house? BN

Bret,
I have tryed that numerous times[great idea though] and they just stop coming...... it is toooo close to the house, most folks cant believe they will come as close as they do, from the time they come passed the little isle 200 yards from far shore, that has a few bushes on it; their head looks like its on a swivels, they get extremely nervious. I really think IF, I could put it over at the small isle thats 413 yds, because it has a couple of bushes on it, I would get alot more action, but to get a light set up to shoot that far is just WAY outta my price range .......
The woods on the other side of the lake at 550yds is the place for it , Then I could get em out in broad daylight! But with the wind here , until I get better at hitting my gong over there in 10/15 kt full winds, I think all I could hope for is missing, wounding, and educating em not to come out........... no wind no problem to hit it, but I dont have the wind mastered YET!

Earle it sounds like by using the 270 seater die it allows you to seat off the shoulder of the Ogave of the bullet. I had trouble with the seating stem for my Dillon .45acp dies seating a semi wad cutter straight in the case mouth so I reamed them out to seat off the shoulder and haven't had a problem seating them since. I wish it were that simple with rifle bullet seating stems but with all the different bullet tappers you would have to have one for every bullet manufactured for each caliber.

That's kinda what I figured Earle. For purposes of bullet testing, it would be nice to get that old moose a little closer, but you're doing just fine as is now. I love these bullet testing pages. Keep after them. BN

Back