Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 150gr Accubond LR vs Maine Moose?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:27 am 

Just a quick update on the Accubond LR and how they actually
Perform on game. Here as a picture of our first Moose hunter this season
Kris Kelly from Harrisburg Pa. We encountered the toughest conditions I have
Ever experienced here are the temps we had to hunt in: Mon/87, Tues 88, Wed 91
Thursday 76 degrees....
Anyway the bulls around here would not open their mouths! So late yesterday afternoon when this
Little fella, (38")strolled out at "365 yards", and turned broadside with only 2 hrs left in his hunt. He launched a 150gr Nosler LR at him, from my Tikka 270 Win, and it connected in a classic , behind the shoulder shot that staggered him for a couple of seconds, and he never took a step before he toppled over. He made a great shot and was elated he got one considering the horrible conditions! I did not recover the bullet but rest assured the Accubond gets it done! Moose weighed 782 dressed out on the digital scales. Both his shooting and the bullet performed perfectly!
Attachment:
IMG_1113.PNG
IMG_1113.PNG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 2400 times ]

The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by 35 Whelen on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: 150gr Accubond LR vs Maine Moose?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:38 am 

That’s excellent. Was it out of the 270 Win, Wby or WSM?

Did it blow through E or just get hung up in something?

Congrats to the hunter, looking forward to seeing the picture. Sounds like a great shot was put on him.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:31 am 

Man, those are tough hunting conditions. Congratulations to the hunter and to the guide!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:35 am 

Pics or it didn't happen :P

That's awesome to hear that it performed so well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:39 pm 

Getting it done
Attachment:
IMG_1115.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG [ 295.46 KiB | Viewed 2395 times ]
guides taking a break after a brutal pack
Attachment:
IMG_1116.PNG
IMG_1116.PNG [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 2394 times ]

The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:40 pm 

35 Whelen wrote:
Just a quick update on the Accubond LR and how they actually
Perform on game. Here as a picture of our first Moose hunter this season
Kris Kelly from Harrisburg Pa. We encountered the toughest conditions I have
Ever experienced here are the temps we had to hunt in: Mon/87, Tues 88, Wed 91
Thursday 76 degrees....
Anyway the bulls around here would not open their mouths! So late yesterday afternoon when this
Little fella, (38")strolled out at "365 yards", and turned broadside with only 2 hrs left in his hunt. He launched a 150gr Nosler LR at him, from my Tikka 270 Win, and it connected in a classic , behind the shoulder shot that staggered him for a couple of seconds, and he never took a step before he toppled over. He made a great shot and was elated he got one considering the horrible conditions! I did not recover the bullet but rest assured the Accubond gets it done! Moose weighed 782 dressed out on the digital scales. Both his shooting and the bullet performed perfectly!
Attachment:
IMG_1113.PNG
(y)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:21 pm 

Very nice, he's going to taste great. Who thought a 270 Win could be so effective on something as big as a moose ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:40 pm 

Gerry, I guess O'Conner knew what he was talking about all the time ! :lol: The 150gr ABLR bullet really worked great!
And I am thinking as the years roll by we will hear a lot more, about how effective the Accubond work on Moose and Elk
Scotty, it did not exit but is over on the offside somewhere and he obviously took every ounce of energy a .270
packs. And it was way to much for him, as the moment he fired this bull reacted by weaving for a couple of secs and then his backend slumped out from underneath him, and went down to the ground, followed by his front end, tipping over a half second later! One shot from the little .270 well placed with the correct bullet at 365 yards folded him up like a cheap suit. If you have 2nd thoughts about the old .270 not shooting heavy enough bullets for a Moose or Elk. You may want
to rethink that over ??? :wink: This Nosler Accubond bullet is just the ticket, for them. We are very impressed with the performance at long range .
and will certainly be recommend it to folks in the future.
We actually had three much older , bulls picked out for him but under the circumstances we had to take what we could. He was fully aware how poor the conditions were, having hunted here 7 times with us, he told me the first nite in camp, he was shooting the " first bull moose" he saw. And he did! Here is a picture of the bull we were actually hopeful he would have had a crack at, this photo taken a few days before the season opened. This is a 900/1000 lb Bull with around a 55" spread that
Has nice width of palm on each side with " Alaskan Style" frontals that are Webed left side frontal having 5 points and right has 6. He will have 25/30 total and is a dandy bull about anywhere.
Attachment:
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG [ 68.21 KiB | Viewed 2371 times ]
He is still right there!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:55 am 

That heat was awful! Great report! Kudos the Kris on a well placed shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:07 am 

That bull you show would have been a fine animal anywhere, E. Yeah, the .270 will do in a pinch. I don't carry a .270, but I have carried a .280 for years, and it accounted for a good number of animals. My 270 WSM slings 130 grain E-Tips at not much more than what one would get from a .270 Win, and it has accounted for a good number of moose and elk. I have no doubt that any good premium bullet launched from the .270 Win will work very well, indeed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:26 am 

Great moose and typical Nosler bullet performance whether it is the Accubond, Partition, or E-tip. Guess I better include the Ballistic tip as well!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:00 pm 

Would you share your load data on the 150 ABLR? I also have Nosler M48 270 win wanting to try the 150's. Loaded up a few this morning using H4831sc. Going to range in the morning to give them a try.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:48 pm 

That load was just 58 gr of RL 26 and I have not chronographed it, but am guessing it's probably in the
2850 fps velocity out of a 24" tube. I have no experience with the Accubonds on Deer sized game However from
What I saw on this Moose, I would venture a guess they will pass right thru a 200lb medium, so I would
NOT think they would work as well as the Ballistic Tip for smaller stuff. But that's just a guess.
Below is one of the guides here, that got this 541 lb blackie about 2 hrs ago!
Attachment:
Resized952017093095135651.jpg
Resized952017093095135651.jpg [ 151.45 KiB | Viewed 2296 times ]

Here it in the truck
Attachment:
Resized95201709309510431795001.jpg
Resized95201709309510431795001.jpg [ 165.11 KiB | Viewed 2295 times ]

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm 

A great specimen of eastern bruins, E. Excellent animal. I didn't see a single bear this morning. Another day coming up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:30 pm 

Wow, that is one big black bear! Tell the guide congrats.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:30 am 

That bear is a toad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:41 am 

Very nice bear, when I had hounds I used Plotts they would pull hair on a bear that wouldn't climb a tree.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:18 pm 

Nice bull and wow, what a bear!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:05 am 

Great work and congratulations! Shot placement and a well constructed bullet will get it done every time. Lucky the bull didn’t know it was only a 270 Win or he’d have probably kept on going! All jokes aside, below is one of my all time favorite articles written by Ross Seyfried about our ol’ pal the 270 Winchester. I figured some of you might enjoy reading it.
V/R,
Joe
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ross-s ... gnum-myth/

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:32 am 

As we grow older, some of us actually become wise. I've loved my .280 for many years, and it is still the one rifle that will "git 'er done." I like rifles, but some are best left with the guys who need the blast and fury.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm 

Nice bull moose and black bear.
Congratulations to both you and the hunter.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:52 pm 

Doc,
Wise words and eloquently said as always my friend!
V/R,
Joe

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:03 pm 

35 Whelen wrote:
Gerry, I guess O'Conner knew what he was talking about all the time ! :lol: The 150gr ABLR bullet really worked great!
And I am thinking as the years roll by we will hear a lot more, about how effective the Accubond work on Moose and Elk
Scotty, it did not exit but is over on the offside somewhere and he obviously took every ounce of energy a .270
packs. And it was way to much for him, as the moment he fired this bull reacted by weaving for a couple of secs and then his backend slumped out from underneath him, and went down to the ground, followed by his front end, tipping over a half second later! One shot from the little .270 well placed with the correct bullet at 365 yards folded him up like a cheap suit. If you have 2nd thoughts about the old .270 not shooting heavy enough bullets for a Moose or Elk. You may want
to rethink that over ??? :wink: This Nosler Accubond bullet is just the ticket, for them. We are very impressed with the performance at long range .
and will certainly be recommend it to folks in the future.
We actually had three much older , bulls picked out for him but under the circumstances we had to take what we could. He was fully aware how poor the conditions were, having hunted here 7 times with us, he told me the first nite in camp, he was shooting the " first bull moose" he saw. And he did! Here is a picture of the bull we were actually hopeful he would have had a crack at, this photo taken a few days before the season opened. This is a 900/1000 lb Bull with around a 55" spread that
Has nice width of palm on each side with " Alaskan Style" frontals that are Webed left side frontal having 5 points and right has 6. He will have 25/30 total and is a dandy bull about anywhere.
Attachment:
IMG_0998.JPG
He is still right there!

That's a nice bull your hunter took and that black bear is a beast. Really like the looks of that big bull you have a picture of.............

I really like the 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 160 gr Partition combo I got going right now but that won't stop some 150 gr ABLR's from showing up in the next while :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:10 am 

Joe,
I had not seen that article of Ross's so was really glad you posted that link. I just read it and can only
say that he has pretty much hit the nail on the head. For what ever it's worth, when you guide for a living
you are going to get exposed to lots of shooting and kills every season. So the fact of the matter is, you are
going to be present and involved in observing many dozens of kills each season. The avg person is simply just
NOT going to have that sort of exposure to that number of kills each season ,on big game animals............... that's the reality of it. So I would inject here that someone like Ross's opinion on choosing a caliber is certainly worth weighing up probably vastly more than the average person or gun writers opinion is, just because he has seen a way more actual kills over the years............
After 45 years of guiding hunters myself,all over the world,I have pretty much come to the exact same conclusion as Ross has. Here are a couple of things that are reality: You can NOT shoot a .460 Weatherby as well as you can a .222 , However if you "think you can"or say "you can"then I am glad for you....................
And if you have a 338 RUM or 340 WM/378WM,and "you believe"you will have a huge advantage over the other fellow in camp, shooting his fathers old boring 30/06, with 180 gr Partitions on a Moose/ Elk hunt;your probably just kidding yourself. More than likely he will flatten his at 150 yds, and you will likely wind up trying one, at 450 yds, same as they do on " Best of the West". Ditto for hunting big bears, the 06 with 220gr bullets will flatten em IF you hit them correctly. IF you don't a magnum caliber won't save you, I have seen brown bears shot with 458 WM slightly too far back run off like you had shot them with a 22 rim fire!
So Ross is 110% right weather you want to believe it or not............
The sad truth is " it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian"
The 6.5 x55 , 7x57 , .270W and the grand old 30/06 have all
Proven this many thousands of times.
Scotty: here is the far shoulder after the ABLR did its damage! I just took care of the meat today!
Attachment:
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 2129 times ]

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:58 pm 

Glad you liked the the article. It’s one of my favorites! If you don’t mind, I’m going to borrow that Indian/arrow quote from you. I don’t think you could explain things to folks any easier than that!
V/R,
Joe

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page 1, 2  Next