Land Owners...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Okay - good thread going on "trespassers" and I fully understand the position of land owners.

That's YOUR PROPERTY and you have a lot of control over it. Particularly about who is allowed to be on your property.

Something I run into as a public land hunter... Are signs. No Trespassing signs placed as to indicate that the PUBLIC ROAD, even a dirt road, is private property...

No... No, it's not. The road is generally a public road, leading to public property.

But the land owners on either side of the road persist in putting up these intimidating signs. One even tried to tell me that the road I was on, and had been driving up for years, was his.

No.

So - land owners DON'T OVERSTEP your private property rights. I'm not amenable to that. I will question you, and I will win.

Guy

Good point, Guy. All roads in British Columbia, though they may have been built by a forestry company, an oil exploration company, etc., belong to the province. Nevertheless, I do see signs from time-to-time informing me that the road is private. Worse yet, are the gas exploration companies that padlock the gates, debarring access.

Something we run into up here is that people attempt to claim an area as "their" moose camp or "their" sheep area when it's all public lands...

I've only had it happen a couple of times and it started with "you need to get out of MY moose camp, we've had this camp for 15 years".

Both times, I called BS and told them it was all public and just as much mine as theirs and were welcome to set up next to me or move along. After grumbling they left. One threatened to call the Troopers- I offered to let them use the sat phone to make the call.

You'd think with as much wide open nothing as we have there'd be room for all. I've found the only way to escape the masses is to just outwalk them.

Guy, Dr Mike, Hodgeman, it is not quite that simple in the territories as various inuit councils have access control over the land and the roads, whether they are temporary or permanent, as well as the land itself. One can not use a road simply because it is there without permission.

Guy, we even have restrictions on the use of waterways, not just roads

We're working through this in Michigan. Old logging road on state land, now gated and padlocked. Newest platt book says it's public. Hopefully the state will resolve it before fall.

Probably more concerning is in Florida, if you are guilty of trespassing while in possession of a firearm, it's a felony.

My father in law hunts a lot less down there knowing a misunderstanding of boundaries can cost him is right to carry and hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's when it's really nice to be able to hunt on private property.

Wyoming is very concerned about trespass, requiring a hunter to know where he is, and who owns/controls the land he's on. I'm very cautious about that while hunting in Wyoming, because frankly, it would be very easy to blunder onto somebody's ranch land. At least where I have hunted off and on since 2012. It's also real close to the Montana border, and my Wyoming license is no good there. So I've been told! :)

Guy

Guy Miner":139to3o3 said:
My Wyoming license is no good there. So I've been told! :)

Guy
Ah, Guy, I'm sure Montana COs are magnanimous. I'm told they are very understanding. :mrgreen:

Guy they call the eastern fringe of Montana lapland because that's where it laps over into North Dakota. I imagine it's the same on the south border with Wyoming!

David, fish and wildlife in North Dakota and Wyoming usually give trespassers a pass as long as they are not hunting with a 6mm.

Cheyenne, that is just not right, unless your an Inuit of course, then it probably works in your favor

Guy, I am trying to understand what you are saying sir. Are you just out for a drive or looking for a place to hunt ? If it is legal to be on the road, but it is private property on both sides, this will limit your hunting a bit. We did have access roads through property owned by timber companies that went to private property that we owned and also at one time we had access to our property through federal land but had to pay them a small amount each year for the access. But the bottom line ,you are correct, they do not own the roads, but some think they do.

The problem was, that a dirt road led to public land. The road was public. The land it led to was public.

The lands on either side of the road, were private, and the landowners had signed it to make it appear that the road was private, and that traveling it would be trespass. It's a pretty common theme here in Washington, landowners trying to control access to public land, in cases when they have no legal right to do so.

I kind of felt sorry for a nice couple who built their retirement dream home on a chunk of private land accessed only by a Forest Service road. Their home is right along the route some of us take to hunt mule deer in a particularly rough & rugged bit of terrain in the Cascades. The new residents seemed startled to see armed men hiking the road adjacent to their home... We were just going hunting, the same route we've used for years! :)

They've learned that we're pretty good guys, not out to loot, pillage and burn. Just hiking up the road to get to the hunting area. There's a locked Forest Service gate lower on the road, and only the residents and Forest Service personnel are allowed to drive the road. The rest of us walk. Man, it is one heck of a walk! Steep...

Guy

Europe":hb70v86n said:
David, fish and wildlife in North Dakota and Wyoming usually give trespassers a pass as long as they are not hunting with a 6mm.

That is certainly as I remember the law. Mind you, at this age, things can be a bit fuzzy. :mrgreen:

Europe said:

:lol: April,

Glad you fielded this one for me!

Some trespassers are a bold lot. Had a couple of bow hunters sneaking up on some elk on the ranch I guide on. Boss takes out his 257B kills a couple of boulders, sends the elk over the hill. Those boys were pissed off. Called the sheriffs office for us.
Deputy cited them through investigation.
They told the judge no one had the right to own that much land. They lost.
The boss use to give warnings, even sent certified letters to one set of neighbors warning of the consequences. Arresting/charging people and towing vehicles "abandoned" on his property has helped.
A county road does go through a part of the property. I spend quite a bit of time up there set up where everyone can see me. Helps to control the shooting from the road.

Seems you and your boss have got that trespassing problem pretty well figured out! Good! (y)

No right to own that much land? WTH?

I have the right to, just not the money for it! :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":141g0ysd said:
Seems you and your boss have got that trespassing problem pretty well figured out! Good! (y)

No right to own that much land? WTH?

I have the right to, just not the money for it! :grin:

Guy

Guy, with your permission I am going to use your post to fire back at mum's distractors. This was one of the things they kept/keep harping on. "You dont have the right to own that much land" She has every right, as it was given to her by my great grandfather. It was deeded to her and it is in her name. Same with the ranch my mum and dad own in Argentina, only in this case they bought it. If you buy a house does it not belong to you. It is the same with my parents, their house just came with a lot of acres. If someone in your family give's you something when they die, is it now yours ?? My great grandfather left the land to Mum. It belongs to her

I am soooooooooooooooooooo tired of hearing about what my parents should be doing with their money. We dont tell you what to do with your money and no one, not even me, have the right to tell them what to do with theirs.

I apologize Guy, but a couple things happen that really pissed me off!!!

Charles, as soon as I hear from Dad I will catch up to you and we will figure it out. I do have a 450/400, which in my humble opinion is even better

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila - wonderful passion! Good.

Ya, it's THEIRS!

And that's just fine.

Guy

Hey Jamila,

Something to think about,

It's not the money in one's checking account or the amount of stuff you own, it is what is in your heart and the deeds you do that matter. Plenty of good folks at all levels of life and plenty of trash too. You can truly see what is in one's heart by what spews out of their mouth.

"no right to own"........really, and who is in charge of what another person is entitled to own??? Carl Marx could not have said it any clearer.

Don't let it bother you about what a gutless wonder thinks about your parents. For one thing people like that aren't good at thinking anyway, have never amounted to much and their only satisfaction is trying to run someone else down. Basically, they are the scum at the bottom of the gene pool looking up at the sky with a clenched fist. Give them what they deserve, total indifference.

Yep, luck, one good decision, can make all the difference. I don't understand why people are jealous of others success.
And use that to ridicule.
I wouldn't mind getting lucky just once..... wait, guess I've done ok.

Back