Disappointing 2018 Season

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
Got skunked again this year. No black bear and no deer. Never got a bear to take to my bait or on camera so that season was a bust. I did hunt all 9 days of our rifle deer season and did pass on a couple of does on different days. Did go out last Saturday of our December herd control hunt and saw nothing. On the bright side my brother and his buddy did get a buck and a doe. Better luck next year for myself , son, and daughter. Congrats to everyone who had a successful season.

Don’t feel bad, I didn’t get out hunting at all this year. Personal and professional issues kept me out of the woods completely.

The first year in 30 years that I didn’t go hunting! It was terrible. Only made worse by the fact I drive thru gorgeous country full of animals and get to watch truck after truck with wheelers and racks drive by.

Better luck next year but at least enjoy the fact that you got to go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe you are not alone in this category.
Weather was terrible the first week and then I got sick the last week and decided that tag soup was better then pneumonia.

Our Whitetail herd has taken a pretty good hit these last few years. Disease, predators and some hard winters. What was once a 300+ deer seen driving during winter on the open hill sides is now 0 to10 deer. I saw the same doe and her twin fawns at the gate each day out and no more. Years past it was 20 -30 deer days. Rumors of shorter seasons and less antlerless tags – I hope so. We need a good rebound.

I took my Dad on a Kenai goat hunt, we got stuck on the side of the mountain for 5 days in 50-60 mph winds. We had a shot at one on the last evening. The wind was a lot worse than we thought, his bullet hit 2’ left. We then went after caribou, fog moved in and couldn’t see 200 yards for a week. We played lots of cards, relaxed. Had a good time. It was not productive meat wise but we had a good trip. Next year I have time to go moose and bear hunting with him, see if we can’t catch another typhoon moving in hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tag soup myself. Luckily, some of the group I go with were successful so there is some venison in the freezer. Mainly I got out for a day so I have something to look forward too. Thinking about a different hunt, different place, maybe for next year. Something to look forward too....half the fun. Guess I was lucky too. Growing up, all tags were draw only. We only had a reasonable odds for a tag every third year anyway. CL

We had snow during our late season, and saw maybe a dozen sets of tracks. Wolves have moved in and I don't think I'll be buying another tag for some time. Luckily my daughter filled hers on a spike in the early season.

That's why we call it hunting and not "shooting." Hope springs eternal for the dedicated hunter. You're certainly not alone in the category of those who didn't have a sterling season.

Yeah, don't feel bad, at least you did get to hunt. I didn't get out this year at all either. As my late father used to say "wait until next year." Good luck to you and you family next season.

Our crew either gets several animals or nothing. No in between. This year we were Blessed. I suppose we’ll go the next 3 with tag soup. [emoji2955]

It happens, but hopefully next year will be your year, all you guys who had tag soup this year I hope will have great years next year.

BTW, it can and does get worse--you want to but are unable to. This is my first year of not physically being able to hunt and I have accepted it graciously-----#@#$%&%$$##@$%^%$#**+!!!!!

I am also a victim of tag soup. Hunted in Maine for 9 days, saw a lot of does but nothing wearing horns. Weather got downright cold (12 degrees) and for this Florida boy THAT was cold! Still had a great time and hunted with my buddy whom I haven't seen in three years. He was fortunate enough to put a tag on an 8 pointer. (food plots pay off). Looking forward to next season.

Sorry you didn't connect this year. It sure can be disappointing when you just don't get the opportunities. Wishing you better luck next year.
Dan

I haven't hunted since 2014, because right befor season in 2015 I shattered my right leg. Missing a year of work and not having a paycheck for a full year put me behind. Plus I'm focused on my daughter's hunting right now. She only has two more hunting seasons until she's off to college. I'll hunt when she can't,.

I spent 2 1/2 weeks in a stand in Halifax Co. NC that for the past 40 years I could just about shut my eyes and pull the trigger 6 times and fill my tags. I saw ONE DOE. My hunting buddy saw 2 doe and 1 small buck. BLACK or BLUE TONGUE which ever one you call it in your area about wiped out the deer for about a 30 mile radius. There are big soybean fields in this area that your headlights will shine out across when you pull up to a stop sign at a road tee that in years past looked like a field full of Christmas lights strung all over the field from the deer eyes shining. This year NOTHING. I packed up and came home a week early.

Back