Had to put down my dog today

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
He was losing weight badly, from 63 pounds in December (a little light for him) down to 49 pounds today. No strength. Cancer was killing him. Did the right thing and took him to the vet today. He's gone now. Damn. Best danged dog I ever had. Well mannered. Strong. Great hunter! I'm missing ol' Clark already. Knew this day was coming, but it still hurts. He's a German Wirehaired Pointer, and a good one.

Clark lived part of his life as a show dog, did real well. Two years ago he went back to the GWP nationals as a "senior" dog and won.

Early in life he'd been trained to hunt, but never did any hunting after that initial training until he came to live with us. The first time he got on game birds when I had a shotgun in hand, he looked back at me, kinda startled as if asking "Oh, is that what we're doing? Cool! I know how to do this!" Oh my goodness could that dog hunt! He loved it. So did I. He reawakened my semi-dormant interest in upland bird hunting and we spent many days chasing pheasant & chukar here in Washington.

I'd like to think that we gave him a good home. He was super protective of Mama Miner and the house, as well as my adult sons. They were his to guard. I've had a number of dogs over the years, but Clark was special. So much a part of the family. Doggone it. Too bad they don't last longer.

ihh1K2pl.jpg

evau8lml.jpg

IMnV5ZDl.jpg

MTTkLH6l.jpg

XVP21HLl.jpg

Bia8lGFl.jpg

ciPAPRUl.jpg

n1ZMDPwl.jpg

My youngest son was particularly fond of Clark and was with us at the end.

Guy

Sorry to hear that Guy. They truly become part of the family and it's painful when they are gone. As you alluded to he is not hurting any longer and is chasing birds to his hearts content now!

David

That is a shocker, Guy. I never met Clark, but I feel we all knew him through your posts. Truly sorrow to hear this. However, I'm certain you did the right thing. And, yes, you gave him a good home, without question.

So sorry to hear this Guy. Clark was a great dog even though I never knew him personally. What a terrible loss. My deepest condolences friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about Clark Guy. I know the feeling. A few years ago, I have to put down Wolfie, our white German Shepherd. I cried as if I lost my son. Woflie was part of the family for 16 years.

Sorry for your loss Guy, Clark was a special family member for you and the family and will always be remembered. Loosing a great dog like Clark is among the hardest events to to go through. My wife and I have no children and our dogs were members of the family like Clark. You have done the right thing for Clark. Sincere condolences. Rol

Guy few dogs have been as lucky as Clark. To be paired up with a best friend for the adventures of a life time!

Was great you guys did so much together. I liked Clark without ever meeting him.

Happy Trails Clark!

Guy,
So sorry to hear about Clark. His pain and suffering is over but he will live forever in your heart and memories.

JD338

Awww, I'm so sorry, Guy. It is no fun losing a good dog. I'm not ashamed to say that I have cried like a baby a time or two. My condolences.

Absolutely brutal man, sorry to hear that. One of the hardest things a person can go through. The blessings of a good dog are immeasurable.

Sorry for your loss,

Coop

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

Really sorry to read that!

I hat to walk that path e few years ago.
It was time for her to move on. It was on a Sunday and the vet had only time in the evening. So we trippled the meds for the day and family and friends came to say goodbye, they all loved her.

She passed away in my arms in the garden and I cried like a bady.

My younger son grew up with her and he used to climb into her bed when he was sad.
Man, still miss her and I know how you are feeling.
Looking back you will always be grateful to have had a dog like him.
Long-distance hug,
Frank

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Guy, sorry to hear of your loss. Clark gave you and your family some great memories.
Duane

Sorry for your loss.
Guy I'm right there with you and I know it was probably one of the hardest things you have ever had to do but you did the right thing and he is no longer suffering.
Besides sorrow and grief I'm sure you also feel relief knowing he no longer suffers and it was the right decision.
He was a great dog and one of a kind, will always be in your heart and enjoy the memories of your time together.

Thanks all. I've lost dogs before, but this one was special.

Guy

From a family tradition on my mothers side:
Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. I’m, we are sorry Guy.

Guy, I know the feeling of losing a good friend and a family member. We lost my hunting partner a year ago in January and this past fall even with my pup I kept reminiscing about my Colt she lived to hunt and please.
Certain dogs just seem to connect a little more, my new Pup Kona has alot of Colt's Sass but I am not sure about her drive as she is not a Lab :wink: .

Blessings,
Dan

Guy, I'm so sorry to hear about Clark, my condolences. As others have said I feel like I knew him through your posts.

I'm losing my old Border Collie the same way right now, it is so hard. She has been my best friend, part of the family and always by my side for the last 13 years. As you said they just don't live long enough.

Like everyone else here I enjoyed seeing Clarke and the adventures you and he would get into. It's amazing how those wonderful animals have such a place in our hearts. Probably because they love us so much and life is simple and good with them.

Very sorry to hear that.

I have a 13 year old heeler who is spending most of her time sleeping and dreaming about when she had 4 good legs and could work cattle. She still likes to ride in the truck once I lift her up there, but when she stays on the truck when the horses ride off she hates it. I wish they had more years too. I always heard you get one good horse and one good dog in your life, I'm 39 and sure hope I haven't had either yet. I'm afraid I have and their both getting old on me though, the dog and horse I have now set a high bar.

Guy,

Sorry for not responding sooner.

I'm so sorry to hear about Clark. Just from reading your posts from the past, we knew he was a special dog to you and your family.
When we've rescued a pet, we intend them to be our pets. Instead, the dogs in my family, become family. They are such an integral part of our family.
They make us laugh, they are there to console, or to make a hard day better by being gentle, and patient with us.
They all have different personalities, but each and every one of them have become a family member.
It's a hard decision, and harder to be there when it's time to say goodbye. Last July, we had to put our lap dog, Bailey, down.
He was hanging on to life, at the tender age of 17. He wasn't going to pass, because he knew it would be hard on us. We had to make the decision to put him down, to ease his suffering. Never easy.
As with Clark, our Bailey will be with us forever in our hearts, and memories.
You did the right thing, rest assured.
Clark wasn't going to go, unless you made the decision. Its harder to see them waste away, and be in misery.
You're a good man, and you take care of your family, including the fur kids you have or had in your life.

With regards,

Bryce

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Back