Hunting weekend ahead!

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
Tomorrow starts with a driven hunt for boar and roe deer. Maybe red stag, but that would be unusual for that area.
After lunch with the hunters and drivers (around 70-100I guess), time for a nap and then out to my grounds for boar and red stag. Maybe predators. Could last till dawn. Then some sleep, reloading some ammo for a friend and since my girlfriend visits a friend, out at dusk for roe and all the rest again.
No idea how I will make a through Monday, but somehow it sounds like a good plan ;-)
Hold your thumbs that I see something!
If I am half awake on Monday, I will post results if there are any...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Well, low forties and steady rain was not the optimum.
Still got a roe and pardoned a big boar at 20 y (they stink during the rut), and after lunch decided that the rest can wait until tomorrow...

Couch, here I come
d9a4901a806039073dd9e61a1d21a1df.jpg

Yeah, admittedly, the shot was rather easy. 60y, had to shoot between some branches and had to circle it over a fallen tree he stood behind (and make sure the dogs weren't behind), but still on the easy side.
30-06 with a lehigh-like bullet left a double credit-card sized exit wound right through the lungs and after 15y he lay down.

There were two boar shot about the size of the one I let pass, and you could smell them from 20y - standing upwind...

There is a story to that doe.
I watched her for about 30 minutes before she stood right. By then she was about 200y away. Rifle rested solidly, so I shot. She didn't show any sign of being hit and ran 80y my way and stopped. I shot again and she went down.
Dressing her, I found what you see in the pictures - both sides of the ribs, I shot her from both sides.
We are talking about 30-06 on a doe less than 30 lbs field-dressed!
ec53659803f62593daca9d5330fdbf0a.jpg
4fba7474fd798223c779cb72899507cb.jpg

Yeah, the first bullet did not open up much on the small deer since no bone was hit.
I was very relieved that the first one hit, too.

Thanks!
I guess you all know the feeling when you think something must have gone wrong, only to find out it didn't.
I was really happy to see that both shots were right where I wanted them.
Just started marinating the shoulder-meat for a Gulasch tomorrow.
My girlfriend is a 'freretarian' (we did not know that word before google taught me it), meaning she only eats meat I or friends hunted - so it is always good if I bring something home.
And my boys just love it anyway.

Back