Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long range cartridges
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:36 pm 

Over the years I have played around with longer range shooting. Starting out with larger and larger cartridges. Velocity and horsepower seemed the only way to be able to shoot farther. Cartridges like the 7mm mag, 300 win, 300 RUM, and 338 RUM.

All this horsepower came at a cost, recoil and muzzle blast. It was very difficult to manage all that recoil while still maintaining good trigger control and accuracy.

Then good optics and efficient smaller cartridges and high BC bullets came around. This has totally changed my long range shooting. Suddenly you didn’t need all that horsepower. scopes with repeatable accurate adjustments and reticles that allowed range estimation and holdover points. Suppressors and purpose designed, adjustable stocks, replacing loud muzzle breaks and poorly adjusted hunting stocks. It got a whole lot easier to shoot at longer ranges.

My current cartridge choices are 22 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, 260 rem, and 308 win. The 22 creedmoor is the newest one I’ve been shooting.

The 22 creedmoor using 95gr SMK at 3085fps. It’s shoots as flat with less wind drift than any of the big boomers I previously used. No recoil and very minimal muzzle blast.

It’s pretty impressive times we are living in.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Long range cartridges
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:22 pm 

It all depend on the application. Small diameter cartridge like you mentioned here are all great at ranges 1000 yards or less for paper punching. It's even less if the target bleeds. I compete at Extreme Long Range shooting. In this discipline, size and horsepower reign supreme.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Long range cartridges
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm 

I was specifically speaking to long range shooting, not hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4