Flinch Progress

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
A while back I posted about picking up a flinch suddenly. Took some actions. Mainly dry firing and 22 practice. I would start each session shooting 22 for several rounds, then dry fire the larger cartridge several times before live firing it. Also added a check riser for a rock solid check weld. I discovered that if I adjust the cheek riser so that it's sloping down toward the muzzle, that it recoiled away from my face, and that helped a bunch. Also stopped over thinking the shot and just let it happen. This was yesterday with the 280 Ackley and 160 Speer bullet. 5 shots just under 3/4". I can tell how they're stacking same hole "mini-groups" inside the string that there is still some shooter error to resolve.
IMG_0469.jpeg

Last edited:
Good recovery Howie.
Here's something else to try, I learned this from a bench rest shooter.
Once you get set up to shoot, take a couple of breaths and close your eyes for a couple of seconds.
When you open your eyes, where are the cross hairs? That is where you are going to hit.
Make the necessary adjustments and try it again.
When you open your eyes, and your sight picture is exactly the same, send it.
Hang in there buddy, you are doing great!

JD338

When I was a kid, over 50 years ago, I was involved in a jr.s program. Shooting a Garand and then an M1A. Developed a consistent flinch so I sighted about 3” high at 100. Dad had a buddy from Korea. Gunny Carter. He had a solution to my flinch. He cut about a 4foot switch from a tree near the firing line. I took a couple of shots from prone and he laid that switch across the back of my legs. Then I received a classic old school slobber filled, Marine corp lecture on what would hurt and what really didn’t.
I can still get a little flinch going from time to time, first thing I do is make sure that old SOB is not sneaking up on me!

Back