CHECKERING.....great deal

GRT338

Beginner
Feb 3, 2007
TO: 260, NODAK7mm & JD338: ref your posts of Octr.09
I have used the following several times for checkering on custom stocks.

ahlmans.com

They are in MN I think and do a great checkering job on your stock. They offer several pattrerns, see "checkering" on their web page, and are very reasonable price wise. And if you inquire youj can add to or change some of the patterns slightly. I changed one of the smaller patterns to have a wrap-around grip on my mod. 70 stock. Great job too!
I hope this will help if someone is still looking for checkering on a slick stock.
Highest regards to all for this New Year!

GRT338

I had a woman who does checkering for Cooper Arms located in Stevensville Montana do checkering on my son's Ruger MKII with an aftermarket stock, and on my buddies Winchester Model 70, a factory laminate stock without any checkering. (She won't do any more laminates as the dust and the resins- even wearing a mask- are getting to her. Most of the laminates as far as I know are done by a machine now) If you have a walnut stock or other hardwood though, she can do it. She does a first class job of checkering and has lots of different patterns to choose from. If you would like, I can take close-up photo's of my son's checkering on his rifle and post them. It is first class!

Karen Rasmussen Corvallis Montana (406) 370-1226

GRT338

Thanks for the heads up! :grin:

JD338

She won't do any more laminates as the dust and the resins- even wearing a mask- are getting to her.

Plus, laminates are just hard and they splinter easily. However, when they are done well, they are certainly attractive. Nevertheless, there is something about a handsome checkering job on a piece of attractive walnut that gets the heart beating.

001.jpg
001.jpg
57.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/davidwalrod/001.jpg[/IMG]

GRT338 : Thanks for the info. I have replaced my laminate stock with a H S Precision one. Did not like the slick feel of the laminate. Also getting it bedded and a jewell trigger put on it. It should be ready any day now. It was good of you to share the info though.

Best wishes.

Back