Boyd's Stocks?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with them? I like the looks of the pepper thumb-hole stock. I think it would go well with my future Savage action and 6mmbr barrel. Any thoughts? I will not be using the rifle as a hunting gun just targets/steel.

I have used 4 Boyd stocks on some builds and have been very happy with them.
I glass bedded them all.
I have one on my 10/22 heavy barrel and one on my 25-284.
the other two rifles were sold.

I do not know if their Customer Service has improved or not but when I was looking for a stock for my .30-06, I called them 3 times during business hours and left a message about ordering a stock. They never returned my calls and I bought from someone else.

I have a laminate pepper-black thumbhole, bedded and with the vents on the fore end to help cool the barrel. I like it so much I decided to get another Boyds thumhole on another rifle.

If you love the grain of walnut or maple, you probably won't like the looks of the laminate stock. On the other hand, looks never killed an animal on a cold, cold day on the High Plains.

The stock I have on my Savage Model 93 is a Boyds. It was a short term "trial run" for Savage. It was meant for the new "accutrigger model" which mine was not. I had a bit of an issue with them becuse that was not part of the advertisement. That also meant that the barrel channel was not wide enough far enough so I had to open it up part way- no big deal,but I was not happy with having to fill in a couple spots around the reciever. The Barrel Channel was also milled off center, so I had to send it back so they could find one with enough material to open up the channel as I described. As far as the fit and finish issues, they said they were sorry but since the stock was part of a special run for savage they could do anything about that. Once I sent it back, I called them and the stff on the phone took my stock in the back room with me on the phone and searched until he found one with enough forend material so that I could open up the channel as needed. I still had to fill in the safety cut out around the reciever. All that said, it is unique, I LOVE the profile (they called it "Dakota Will") and the way it fits me. If they would make one again that would fit my Mauser I would own one, period. For me Boyds is also close to where I grew up so I gave them a little extra "grace" so to speak. Finish seems durable, but I was surprised how easily the wood was removed from the barrel channel. However, I would say its pretty tough and no more prone to dents or dings than anything else I own, maybe less.

So the short version is: It was a PITA to make it work, be certain what they have is what you need EXACTLY, good price, good people. Great feelin Stock.

Deerhunting2012020.jpg

Sure beats the plastic "no comb joke" Savage sent it out the door in.....its for sale-cheap. CL
22MAGSavage2.jpg

CL, I have a Savage 93, .22 WMF in a hardwood stock. It is not as bad as the plastic and shoots rather accurately.

Boyd's at one time was the primary laminated stock supplier. I am not sure what happened, but for a few years they had some QC issues (or at least, a number started bing reported widely where previously there were few or none) but things seem to be back to normal with them these days, whatever normal is. If they do not have what you're after, you can also check out the thumbhole laminates available from stockysstocks.com, as well.

I've got two of them.
One on my 7STW in pepper laminate. It's their Classic line.
004.jpg

The other one is on my 264.
It's a Prairie Hunter.
IMGP1949.jpg

Of the two I prefer the Prairie Hunter for it's taller comb.
Both of these were unfinished when I got them. Sand them, get them good and slick and finish w Birchwwood Casey Tru-Oil.
I think they were somewhere in the $50.00 range?????
Neither rifle has been bedded at all, and they both shoot sub MOA.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Boyd's Pepper Laminate. Needed to widen the barrel channel a bit to FF the barrel, and deepen the barrel channel at the receiver to get the receiver to fully seat. Then I glass bedded the recoil lug and first couple inches of the barrel channel. They can add a Pachmayr recoil pad. Wish they offered it when I ordered mine....

file.php

HTDUCK":1p2sca9i said:
I've got two of them.
One on my 7STW in pepper laminate. It's their Classic line.
004.jpg

The other one is on my 264.
It's a Prairie Hunter.
IMGP1949.jpg

Of the two I prefer the Prairie Hunter for it's taller comb.
Both of these were unfinished when I got them. Sand them, get them good and slick and finish w Birchwwood Casey Tru-Oil.
I think they were somewhere in the $50.00 range?????
Neither rifle has been bedded at all, and they both shoot sub MOA.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the heads up Howard. Those are both great looking rifles!

cloverleaf":1sj3dylc said:
Howard-
Which profie do you prefer- and why? CL

I like the Prairie Hunter better.
I get better cheekweld with it because the comb is a bit higher.
YMMV

I like Boyd's a whole, whole, lot! They're nicely inletted, offer a fantastic value, and now they even offer laser-engraved "checkering".

Can't speak to the thumb holes but I have an old JRS Classic from the days when they upgraded wood and just purchased a rifle with their latest iteration of the classic in nutmeg laminate.

The prices seem reasonable. I bought a Encore pistol set in the pepper laminate in what was termed VIP at the time. Not sure they still send out unfinished anymore. But I like that option of finishing myself, with Tung Oil, (only 2 coat of oil in this pic, end up with 10). And too there was enough mass for me to custom fit the grip, with about 30 mins. of Dremel time.
I would recommend them.

Back