Savage Axis scope issue

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I shot my new Savage Axis this weekend and ran out of windage with my scope. I have Weaver bases and rings and a Scheels scope. Any thoughts as to get the last 3" of movement to get it hitting the bull?

Hi WT,
You talking 3” at 100? 4 clicks per inch?
The wind age comment makes me think you are talking left/right vs elevation (up/down). If it was elevation you could get a thicker base and place or fore or aft depending on which way you need three inches.
If you are off left/right, then the scope probably needs to be remounted with a lot of care in the process of tightening the bases so it doesn’t push left to right by ones side being tighter than the other.
The gap on left side and right side should be equal.

There are more qualified guys on the forum than I.

Perhaps there’s some other approaches?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I am talking left and right. The bullets are impacting 3-4" to the right of the bull but I'm out of clicks. I had the big box store mount the scope. I might take it apart and remount it.

Not to scare you but Ive seen holes drilled off center cause this problem. You could try turning the bases 180 degrees and swap the front and rear ones, if that will work. Holes were off center in the rifle or the bases some where. Believe it or not I've seen this work for an issue just as you describe. The other thing I can think of is a windage adjustable base from leupold. I assume they make one for the axis. Unsolicited advice, whatever changes you make I would "re-center" the scopes cross hairs before you mount it again. Running a scope out to the end of its adjustment range makes me nervous. They don't always hold zero then...my experience. Incidentally, if this is a scope from a package deal, beware. Some of them will worK forever, and some of them don't live through sight in....Ive seen that too. Sorry, you didnt ask for a sermon.... my.02. Good luck! CL

Had that same problem with my Rem 600. A simple shim on the opposite side of the off ring brought me right on target.

Cloverleaf is on the mark. Try reconfiguring the existing mounts first, maybe you'll get lucky. Put the rifle in a padded vice, remove the bolt and bore sight (or use one of the lazer jobbies if you have it) before you waste more ammo trying to figure that out at the range. If randomizing doesn't work in your favor, either the Leupold WA mounts or shimming the existing ones are your best option. I've never liked the cheap mounts that come with most scopes anyways, you might be better off just to go with the Leupold or other high end maker WA mounts and be done with it. Never use a scope at the limits of it's adjustment, they break.

Back