How good are Savage's accustocks?

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
Up to now, my rifles got an epoxy-bedding and I think that impeoved accuracy.
Next one might be a Savage with accustock.
How good are they compared to classic bedding?
Thanks
Frank

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I ended up removing the wedge and bedding the lug. If you use a torque wrench you should get consistent bedding, but I always had 2 groups. Ended up selling the rifle for other reasons.

Asked a very reputable gun engraver/gunsmith about Savage Axis rifles and he said the stock was weak due to the way Savage puts the trigger assembly in. He has replaced three for different customers due to failure. I do not know if the Axis is the same stock that you are inquiring about, but hope this helps. Good luck, Rol

Well, the accustock is supposed to be different, but I never had one in hand

Update:
I will give the Savage Storm a try. Thought about the tactical, but went for the lighter weight. Since it will be purely for hunting, I think it is the better choice.
6,5 Creedmoor, components and powder are ordered and should arrive long before the gun makes it over the big pond.
I will start with the lehigh defense controlled chaos and there are a few options if it does not work.
Designated powder reloader swiss 60. According to QL, it seems a good fit.
Will post pictures in a few months...

My "donor" rifle for a long planned Savage Cal. switch is a 243 w/ an Accu-stock. It shoots 3/4 in groups w/ cheap Winchester 95gr "silver box" stuff. I cant really sya I've tried to do much else w/ it. Literally half a box to sight it in and then back in the safe. No complaints- just no money for a new barrel in 250-3000 Sav. CL

I have an Accustocked 6.5-284 N weather warrior. Stock is much more rigid than other Savage stocks I have owned. Rifle shoots very well.

Savage seems to have created a flood of different price point rifles (as has Ruger, etc).

Guess you pick where you want to be. That being said, seems most Savage rifles shoot well.

I was looking at the Savage catalog yesterday. Savage now has an Accufit stock that has the same aluminum frame in the stock but also includes adjustable length and comb.

Also shows 280AI as a caliber choice. Although no 280AI available yet.

orchemo":3gb3vbh5 said:
I was looking at the Savage catalog yesterday. Savage now has an Accufit stock that has the same aluminum frame in the stock but also includes adjustable length and comb.

Also shows 280AI as a caliber choice. Although no 280AI available yet.
That's the stock mine will have.
Only 6,5 Creedmoor

Picked up the rifle last Friday.
My Tikka is a varmint, so the barrel on this one looks like a straw. I will see how it shoots...
Trigger is fine for me.

There was a rail in the package, which I did not expect. But I already ordered one made from steel which should arrive tomorrow.

Only think I did not like so far: lenghth of pull was too short. So I installed one of the spacers. Now the screws were too short...
I simply replaced them with some I found in the cellar, so no drama. But I am just 5 11, so i guess others will have that problem, too.

Since the powder for me lehighs is not here, yet, I loaded some Nosler CC with N160, for some tests. Not the perfect powder, but the best I have right now.

Now I need to find time for the range to see if it can shoot!

I think you'll like it. My son in law has one on his Savage High Country in 6.5 PRC, and from what little I've worked with it, it seems to be a well thought out and executed system. The aluminum inserts really lock things in place, even the recoil lug. Its an incredibly accurate rifle.

I have a Savage Accustock on my heavy barrel 260 Rem and it seems to work just fine and the gun shoots well. The only "issue" (and it really isn't one) is when you take it apart it takes a bit of wiggling to make sure it goes back together right. They make a great gun and I like mine a lot. Good luck with your new 6.5 Creedmoor!

Back