Latest Project - 356W Update

kselkhunter

Beginner
May 3, 2017
Hi All,

Thought I'd share the latest project. I opted to upgrade my Marlin rifle furniture and finish. Was a 336W in 30-30 initially. Had it rebored by JES to 356W last year.

This year I decided to buy some Duracoat in the aerosol can from Lauer in finish the rifle external metal parts myself, instead of paying a gunsmith to Duracoat like I did my last bolt action rifle.

Additionally I decided to change the standard stock out to the Ranger Point Precision polymer buttstock and forend. I also bought their flyweight load gate and flyweight magazine tube. In total those four items reduced 1.2lbs off my rifle. Attached is the final photo once the project is done now.

The stock and forend fit perfectly and easily without any sanding or grinding or any work. Very impressed. I learned a few lessons as this was my first Duracoat project but was able to clean up my errors. All total my 356W rifle is now only 6lbs in weight, and the recoil pad on the RPP buttstock is far better than the hard butt plate on my original Marlin.

This rifle shot 220gr Speer Hot Cor bullets very well previously. I have some Hawk 250gr bullets on order, and need to try the 250gr Kodiak bullets as well. Big thank you to Dr. Mike for responding to my PMs on the 250 grain loads.

This was my first real quasi-gunsmithing work and am very happy with it. I ended up using the rest of the Duracoat can on my over/under 12 gauge that needed a barrel refinish as well as my buddies 16 gauge single shot that also needed work. I had bought a second can of Duracoat "just in case" so just used it on my friends Rem 700 and Rem788 so once that cures will glass bed the actions in his stock, upgrade his triggers, and finish those rifles next.

I got my spring bear tag for Oregon this year, didn't get WA, so will at least give the Marlin a try for bear first. Then elk in the fall in OR (archery in WA).

Cheers,

Keith

Attachments

• 20200313_194421_resized.jpg
    20200313_194421_resized.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 314
I can tell you from experience that the 356 (whether loaded with 220 grain Speers or 250 grain Kodiaks) will handle both black bear and grizzly quite well. Mine has accounted for mule deer and elk, as well. I do love the cartridge. I've owned four Model 94s chambered in this round, and I still have three of them.

I am looking forward to spring bear also. Been playing around with my Marlin 338 Marlin Express. Loading 250 gr RN and filed flat 200 gr Accubonds.

Both shoot well, but going to use the 250rn this spring.

Attachments

• FAF83155-9A8E-49A5-BE22-1A62C30A5587.jpeg
    FAF83155-9A8E-49A5-BE22-1A62C30A5587.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 211
orchemo":35xy6273 said:
I am looking forward to spring bear also. Been playing around with my Marlin 338 Marlin Express. Loading 250 gr RN and filed flat 200 gr Accubonds.

Both shoot well, but going to use the 250rn this spring.

Yes, definitely looking forward to spring bear. And as of today, Oregon spring bear is still on even with the shelter orders. So I'm skipping work this Wednesday (I work from home anyway, my own business) to be out there opening day.

I'll have my 35 Whelen with me opening day with 250gr Partitions. But will have the 356W on a mid-April trip if I haven't filled the tag by then. I thought about filing some 200gr Accubonds flat as well for my 356W as I've seen them at the Nosler store in Bend as "blemished" on a good price. Haven't tried it yet.

Back