Browning "Boss" in 338 WM

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
Anyone have one of these? I have the stainless stalker (26" Bbl).

How difficult is it to tune the Boss. I found Browning's recommendations, but that isn't much to go on. I'm currently using 250 gn PTG with 71.5gn of H4831SC and Fed215M primer.

I have also ordered the 210 PT, 225 AccuBond, 225 PT to try out.

Any help would be appreciated. I've almost considered selling this one and buying a Winchester ????? in 338 WM.

I don't have any experience with the Browning B.O.S.S. but I've used the 225 and 250 grain pts and looking at down range energy they are all but identical but the volicity/trajectory loss was about 200fps and 2 inches at 300 yds. My Savage shot the 225 gr. bullets to 1.2 in. at 100 yds and the 250gr bullets at 2.3 in. at that range . Like I said I dont have the B.O.S.S. to adjust but I also liked the recoil better at 225 grs.

The BOSS's are very easy to tune and I've never seen one that would not do MOA. It does take time through going through the settings. Make sure you let the barrel cool down and clean the barrel every 15 rounds or so. Just be methodical and you'll eventually find the "sweet spot."

Brad

Yep,I got one,and it shoots clover leafs at 100 yds.Mine is a black composite stawker,.338Win.mag and i shoot the 210 gr Nosler Part.I found I don't need the heavier bullets on BIG game.Moose,elk and bear are one shot kills.Loads chronagragh at 2975 ft per sec,71gr.IMR4350,cci Large rifle primer(not magnum).All I did was shoot my first group,which was about 2 1/2 inchs at a 100,and I then moved the boss say from 6 down to 2,shooting 3 shot groups incremently, moving the boss down till the groups were under an inch and settled on the number 2,which in this rifle,is under an inch group.BTW,this charge fills the case quite nicely.Also,I have recovered most all of the bullets on the far side of the animal,in the skin.

I have th Boss on my Winchester Model 70, 338 WM. It became time consuming because I was also working up various loads. That being said, once you find the sweet spot for a given load, the accuracy is generally always superior to other production rifles with production barrels, not to mention the reduction in recoil.

I have a M-70 BOSS in 338 Win Mag.& like the other posts I started @ thier suggested spot,& did some experimanting to find the sweet spot.Once I got it I had to fine tune it @ long range(ie.500yds) to get it right.At shorter distances the holes in the paper were too small to really tell the difference.I now have a 250gr.Game King that will shoot .27MOA.Just be patient,& exacting,& you'll get it to do the same.

Back