Berger 115 gr. 25 cal. VLD Hunting Bullets

MrMinks2

Beginner
Oct 29, 2014
I ordered a box of these for my Browning A-Bolt Stainless Steel Stalker II in .25-06 (22" bbl.). I was wondering if anyone had any tips on loading them or can pass along any performance information, both on the range and in the field. I have a pretty good selection of powders available: IMR 4350, MagPro, Retumbo, RL 19 & RL 22. I'll start at the lands and move back in 0.040" increments as recommended by the Berger tech support people (keeping a close eye on pressure of course). The only primers that I have available to me are WLR, Fed 210 & 215.
Any input would be appreciated.

I had good luck with around 54 grains of H4831 and the 115 Berger. I have not shot a deer with one, but I'm thinking they should work fine.

The loads I tried liked seating pretty far back from the lands, something like 0.12 inches. I never tried them right up against the lands though.

In my experience, the Bergers perform well when near the lands. To be certain, they will exhibit a node when seated farther off the lands, but near the lands yields an almost certainty in the realm of accuracy.

I'm pretty much a Nosler user for the past 40 years or so, but I did use the 115 gr Berger VLD for a few years, from my .25-06 Rem 700. Frankly, it worked GREAT. I loaded it over Retumbo for 3190 fps from the 24" barrel. Got excellent accuracy! Only shot three mule deer with it at 175, 230 and 400 yards. Each of them dropped at the shot. Very deadly deer bullet. Just put it into the chest cavity.

230 yard shot, 26" wide Washington 4x4 mule deer:

175 yard shot, small 3x3 Washington mule deer buck. Bullet went through both shoulder blades, and can be seen just under the skin - it was well mushroomed and didn't quite penetrate the off-side skin:

And I don't have a photo of the doe I took at 400 yards with that bullet, in Wyoming. The rifle was zeroed at 300 yards, and it was an easy matter to drop the bullet right into her heart at 400 yards.

Pay attention to seating the bullet nice and straight. Precision bullets like this deserve a well prepared brass case. Consider starting with Nosler cases, as they are already very nicely prepped and are of excellent quality. Play around with the seating depth if it doesn't work out real well at first, but I have to admit that mine shot well from several different lengths.

I tried the Bergers, and am impressed with them as an excellent deer bullet. Very quick kills. Accurate. Flat shooting due to the high BC (particularly when ya sling 'em at almost 3200 fps...).

Went back to my 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips because they offered similar accuracy, a similar flat trajectory, and a little better bullet integrity on game. And I'm just a Nosler guy. :) There are a lot of great .25 cal deer bullets avail. If one doesn't work, try something else.

Regards, Guy

Oh, and Federal 210's are all I use with my .25-06 loads. They work great. I don't seem to have it in my notes, but I have gotten real tight ES/SD figures with those .25-06 loads, using Retumbo, Federal 210's, Nosler brass and neck sizing dies from Wilson.

Guy

That's some great shooting Guy and some fine looking deer. I've never tried the Berger bullets in my 25.06 but I have read some pretty impressive reviews on them. It appears that the people who are using them are having positive results.

I currently have a terrible itch that I have to scratch when it comes to the Nosler 115gr BT's, I've never tried them before either. I have all the components even found some Retumbo that I didn't have. All I need is time im booked up right now with other projects ...... honey do list :). Im really looking forward to working with this combo.

Retumbo is my go-to powder for the 115's in the .25-06 anymore, though RL-22 gave very similar results.

The 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip is a terrific hunting bullet! Accuracy. Decent BC. Excellent results on game. It's all I've used for the past few years.

340 yard mule deer last year:

160 yard pronghorn last year:

For fun, I nicknamed them "Blue Cyclones" :)

I did find, that with my rifle, I had best results when I backed off the powder charge a little bit, compared to what I was using with the 115 Partitions and the 115 Bergers. So, my 115 Ballistic Tips are "only" producing 3120 fps instead of 3190 fps... Seems to be enough. :mrgreen:

Guy

:mrgreen: That ballad has stayed with me for a good long time.

Back to the subject at hand - the .25-06 is a deer killin' cartridge with such mild recoil. Love it!

Lots of good bullets avail for it!

Guy

I shoot them in one rifle . I'm using the 7mm 140 hunting VLD's . mine seem to shoot best right at the lands , and this seems to be common from what I read . the downside to this is I will get a bullet to stick in the lands once in a awhile . when this happens , if I'm not careful, it will leave the bullet in the barrel and dump the powder down through the trigger assembly . I've learned when I'm hunting not chamber one until I see deer . I use this rifle for long rang hunting so I have time to cycle the bolt . I have not shot a deer with it yet , only groundhogs and crows , so I can't give any first hand data on deer size game . I read about them not expanding on game . the guys seem to think the bullets need to be checked to be sure the hollow point cavity is not plugged with anything during the manufacturing process . I check mine with a straight pin . you can use anything to make sure it's not plugged . some guys talk about opening the hole up with a very small drill bit ,and or trimming the meplat , Berger does not recommend this . hopefully you can reach the lands and they will fit your magazine , these VLD's are long and pointy . the only other thing I can think of is be sure your seating die does not push on the bullet tip and close the hollow point . the bullet needs to be seated by pushing on the ogive . if your seating die is pushing on the tip , you can drill the seating die stem deeper , or buy a VLD seating stem for your die .

Back