Some 338 WM love.

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
So any of you that have been here for a while know the battle that I have been having with my stainless classic M70 338 WM for the last four or five years. I have been trying and trying to get it to shoot the 225 AB with RL-19, RL-22, IMR, and H4350, Ramshot Hunter, three different kinds of primers, two different kinds of brass, tripple checking rings and bases, and action screws.

Well, I finally won the war! 68.5gr RL-17, WLRM primers, and Nosler brass get me five shots under an inch going 2800 even. I got a chance to take it to the range this morning and ring the 300, and 400 gongs. I quickly got reminded why I love this rifle. It makes one heck of a whop on my 11"x16"x1" gongs, and this time, it did it in nice tight little groups!

I'm not sure why but I have sold many other rifles that have given me half the fits this thing did. I just could not bring myself to sell this one. Glad I didn't. I shot my first bear with it @ 370 yards (Fed. 210 PT), my first bull elk @ 250 yards (185 XLC), my biggest bull elk @ 425 (225 AB), my first four point buck @ 200 yards (225 AB), and took it to Africa and laid the smack down on a warthog, impala, and Kudu with a single shot a piece (225 AB). I have had this rifle for over 10 years (bought it my jr. year in high school), and of all the guns in my safe that I have bought it has been there the longest. I really hope I draw a elk tag this year, this thing has not had blood on it for several years. The last thing I shot with it was a four point buck in 2006! So she is due for some use. I'm one happy camper this weekend!

102_1333.jpg

102_1330.jpg

Nice rifle like the McSwirly on her too. Sometimes rifles are like fine wine they take so time to mature.

Nice pictures Jake. I have the same one with the B&C. I am glad you have it worked out. Sounds like a great load though. Nothing is going to outrun that.

Jake nice job on that. It can be frustrating, but I think you have found the perfect marriage at last. That 225 gr. AccuBond at 2800 fps should thump stuff pretty darn good. Now that you got her shooting, give us a water jug test at 25 and 100 yards so we can compare with our other stuff. Show Scotty's 35 Whelen the real stuff! :p
David

I need to get me a rifle like that... SS, M70, and a McSwirley!

6mm Remington":21v8no6p said:
Jake nice job on that. It can be frustrating, but I think you have found the perfect marriage at last. That 225 gr. AccuBond at 2800 fps should thump stuff pretty darn good. Now that you got her shooting, give us a water jug test at 25 and 100 yards so we can compare with our other stuff. Show Scotty's 35 Whelen the real stuff! :p
David

I don't have enough milk jugs. I have done it with 2.5gal chem. jugs lined up so I shot into the narrow edge. Got a full two jugs worth at about 70 yards. At the same range the 280 AI with the 160 AB did 2.5, and the 375R with the 260 AB, did 3! I'll get some milk jugs saved up so the test is on the same media, chem jug plastic is a lot thicker.

Good to hear you worked out the mystery of the bullet you want to use. Now, you can own the field with that cartridge.

DrMike":2xkcolz9 said:
Good to hear you worked out the mystery of the bullet you want to use. Now, you can own the field with that cartridge.

Thanks mike. I had the 225 TSX, and 200 ET shooting well out of it, but I like a bullet with a bit more "splat" to in upon impact than the monos offer.

jmad_81":2aytkhqp said:
6mm Remington":2aytkhqp said:
David

I don't have enough milk jugs. I have done it with 2.5gal chem. jugs lined up so I shot into the narrow edge. Got a full two jugs worth at about 70 yards. At the same range the 280 AI with the 160 AB did 2.5, and the 375R with the 260 AB, did 3! I'll get some milk jugs saved up so the test is on the same media, chem jug plastic is a lot thicker.
I need to find some larger jugs like that so I can do some tests at 400 and 500 yards. I really want to see how things are working at those distances too. I can imagine that the tougher plastic does slow things down a bit more. Even though it's thicker and tougher though Jake, every 6 inches of the milk/water jugs the bullet has to pass through plastic twice, so if it does 5 jugs at 25 yards, that's 10 times through the plastic! Might be surprised what effect that would have where as with yours, it only has to go through 3 plastic shells to be in the second one. At 25 yards, they might not penetrate as much either. I believe at 70-200 yards in that range is when the deepest penetration would take place. I don't know for sure, so I guess I better do some more testing!
David

"I shot my first bear with it @ 370 yards (Fed. 210 PT), my first bull elk @ 250 yards (185 XLC), my biggest bull elk @ 425 (225 AB), my first four point buck @ 200 yards (225 AB), and took it to Africa and laid the smack down on a warthog, impala, and Kudu with a single shot a piece (225 AB)."

That is a tale of success! Seems to me that you've got a great rifle there, and have had it along on many successful hunts. Outstanding.

Jake,

Nice rig buddy.
Time to rock n roll. :mrgreen:

JD338

Great news that you've figured it out. Nothing worse than not finding that elusive load in a rifle you really want to keep. Looks great too.

Time to find a new project! :wink:

Now to try the 300gr NAB! Glad you found the load -it is so rewarding. Congrats Jake!
Scott

Having harvested all of those animals with that rifle makes it special, at least it would for me also. There are no flies on the .338 WM with a 225 grain AB for any North American game.

Thanks guys. I'm glad i stuck with it. Makes me wonder about a few others i sent down the road.

I don't think I'll be pushing any of the 300gr AB down the tube any time soon though. I'm having a hard enough time allowing myself to shoot a gun that "only" does 2800. Guess that means I'll have to build something some day that will push a 300 that fast :lol:

Back