Teddy Roosevelt gun

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
Every deer I have taken has been with a gun and some kind of optic.

Whether rifle, handgun, or MZ, they all have optics on them.

Thought it might be cool to go deer hunting with a rifle and just use metallic sights. I have access to plenty of spots to hunt where shots are 100yd max.

So of course I did the most logical thing possible and just won a Winchester 1895 in .405win on gunbroker.

There was a new in box never fired, but previously owned rifle that was for sale. Threw in a decent bid. Damn near forgot about it. Turns out I won!

So after it ships and I do the transfer I will be the proud owner of a Medicine Gun. I just ordered a Williams FP-71 receiver sight, and texted my hunting buddies letting them know that I will have the COOLEST rifle at camp this year.

Outstanding!

I've taken a few deer without optics, just sights. Used a 223/5.56 AR-15, a 50 cal traditional T-C muzzle loader, and a 44 mag S&W revolver. It's a very satisfying way to hunt. I also passed up shots on game because it was just too tough a shot without a scope.

My 30-30 got a scope right after I passed on a shot at a big bobcat at about 200 yards 'cause all I had was the factory iron sights... Of course I haven't had a chance at a bobcat since I put the scope on that rifle either! Sigh..

Best of luck to you! That 405 ought to rock 'em. Factory ammo is scarce, as are loading components.

Guy

Every deer I have taken has been with a gun and some kind of optic.

Whether rifle, handgun, or MZ, they all have optics on them.

Thought it might be cool to go deer hunting with a rifle and just use metallic sights. I have access to plenty of spots to hunt where shots are 100yd max.

So of course I did the most logical thing possible and just won a Winchester 1895 in .405win on gunbroker.

There was a new in box never fired, but previously owned rifle that was for sale. Threw in a decent bid. Damn near forgot about it. Turns out I won!

So after it ships and I do the transfer I will be the proud owner of a Medicine Gun. I just ordered a Williams FP-71 receiver sight, and texted my hunting buddies letting them know that I will have the COOLEST rifle at camp this year.
Not only the coolest but probably the hardest kicking:LOL: Hope you get one with it. Dan.

I have a Browning 1895 rifle, an almost exact clone of the original Winchester rifles. Mine is in 30-06 and is all original except the previous owner put a recoil pad on the rifle. I've only shot it a few times with factory level reloads and even with the pad recoil is notable. I've about decided that if I shoot it a lot, I'll use a cast bullet load duplicating the 30-40 Krag at the top end. Like the 30-30, I'll treat it as a fun gun. I do like the way it handles.
Paul B.

Congrats on snagging an old thumper. Brass and ammo might be a challenge to find. I remember Fotis looking for some earlier this year.

I have always wanted a Winchester 1895. Think I would opt for something like a .30 US Army however since .405 ammo/components are unobtainium these days. Still a super cool rifle!

Check with Fotis, I believe he found 405 brass and bullets.

JD338

Back