The Verdict on E-Tip Bullets???

I realize Im a little late on the subject, but I figured Id add my thoughts on the E-Tip.

Summer of 2018 I bought some ETips and worked up a load using H4831SC, R-P Brass, Federal 210 primers and got some .75'' groups so I didn't mess around too much more with them. Come November for the WV opening day I carried my 270 Win and in the afternoon I spotted a buck in a creek bottom. I finally connected on the 3rd shot breaking the buck's back and he went down in the creek. I had to shoot 1 more time behind the shoulder to finish him off. The first shot was from roughly 100 yards and the finishing shot was approx. 40 yards.

Upon post mortem exam, I found no evidence of an exit wound. I could only find 1 bullet and it was under the hide on the off side from the 2nd shot. I was left to assume the first bullet was in the entrails since I didn't find it.

After I cleaned the bullet up and weighed it, I found that it weighed 117.3 grains on my beam scale. I measured the expansion with my calipers I came up with a .469'' post shot.

Overall I wouldn't be afraid the use them again, it killed this deer just fine, but I do not think the ETip is as good of a bullet as the Barnes TSX, TTSX, or the Hornady GMX. I kinda feel like the alloy the ETip is made from is too hard and could be softened up a little to allow for a more devastating entrance and exit wounds.

6QpmYw.jpg

T4OmCz.jpg

Back