Canvas Tents

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've spent a fair bit of time under canvas, in the Marines, and with several buddies who use a wall tent as their base camp for hunting & fishing.

Am thinking that I'd like one, with a wood burning stove, for my camping. Hunting, fishing, just camping. :) Jeep mobile of course. I have that little trailer which makes it easy to lug some heavier camping gear around.

As I generally camp alone, or with one other person (and of course the dog) I'm most interested in something like the "Range Tent" by Montana Canvas. It looks easy for one fellow to set up. Think it would do well in wind, rain and snow?

https://montanacanvas.com/product/range-tent/

They've got a good video of a fellow putting the tent up by himself, which is difficult with a conventional wall tent. Those seem to go up better with at least two guys working on it.

Would I still need a nylon tarp "fly" over it?

Thoughts on my future hunting tent? Should I go that route, or do you know of something better?

For years I've just been camping in a small backpacking type tent. It works, but I'd kinda like something I can heat, have room for a cot or two and maybe even a folding chair... I "think" the Montana Canvas "Range Tent" at 12'x12' and with generous headroom would fill the bill. Be kinda nice to be able to stand up and get dressed too. LOL!

Thanks, Guy

Tjay - Thanks! Those look like good, useful tents!

I'd imagine you guys are happy with your choices?

Guy

Hummm, seems that the computer ate my first attempt to reply ....

We have spent a lot of time under wall tents at elk camp & the only headache we've had was having to remove the stove pipe due to the high winds & putting up with the bellowing of the sides in the winds...open floor. (usually happens around 0100-0300)

The one you are looking at has a sewn in floor & should do better.

After their wall tent was stolen I bought this canvas tent from Kodiak Tents and have been very happy with it - there are even mods out there where others have put in wood burning stoves by adding a stove jack:

https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-14-ft ... 20th-2021/

I'm picky with my equipment & the only hassle I've found was finding a place large enough to fully dry it out after camp due to the rains/snow.

Happy Shopping!

Guy
I have two Montana canvas tents. The 20 x 16 is a workout to set up by myself the 14 x 16 is a pice of cake, about 20 minutes by myself. I’ve seen the range tent in the snow, stick with the wall tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy
We are both happy with them. I also have two standard style wall tents that get used every year
for our deer camp.

Guy,
As a Seabee(aka a Marine with a job) Just kidding. I spent more than my far share in a GP Medium. I ended up getting one at a Surplus store and retreated it with waterproofing, it still works great at deer camp. plenty big for 6 sleeping cots a stove card table and coolers

Guy that looks to be a good size for a one or two man camping trip. Friend of mine used a fold up wood stove in his first wall tent then started using buddy heaters/propane with his next tent. You can use the screw on bottles or a 20lb with a long hose allowing the tank to sit outside. Worked really well. I spent time in both setups. Dan.

Guy, I have a 18x23 Montana that is Relite. I can handle the tent itself but it’d be a pain on my own. I’m with Don, a smaller 14x16’ish is what I’m gunning for. Our big tent works fine but we end up tarping 1/2 of it off to keep the heat local.

I really enjoy a good tent and Montana and Davis are excellent. As are many others I’m sure. Pay attention to the poles/Frames. Those are the heavy lifting part of it.

Also, invest in solid stakes and such cause as one person mentioned, wind just makes for a miserable experience.

I have a Davis 12x14 , I bought the antelope package . I got it with the traditional poles . it's not bad to put up by myself . folding it up seems to take more time than putting it up .

PA090837.JPG

PA090838.JPG

PA100843.JPG

Guy,
I'd choose MT Canvas but they are right here in town for me. I like the looks of their Spike tent. But I noticed on my way to the range this morning they have a Wedge setup outside, and for a man and his dog, and occasional company it is a nice looking tent. It even had some snow built up on it

Slimfinn":2qlb47wo said:
Guy,
I'd choose MT Canvas but they are right here in town for me. I like the looks of their Spike tent. But I noticed on my way to the range this morning they have a Wedge setup outside, and for a man and his dog, and occasional company it is a nice looking tent. It even had some snow built up on it

I’m looking forward to downsizing a little. Big tent seems nice but with an enclosed trailer I don’t need the storage area like I used to. Montana does make very good tents.

My advice for just one or two just get a Cabelas Guide series Alaska tent 8 person and a Mr Buddy heater but I only use it for 15m in the morning and maybe 30m at night
But if I was a full blow Elk hunter with a at least 4 or more people I would get a canvas tent in a heartbeat.
Mines a 6 man on left the 8 mine is on right and it’s very large inside.

Attachments

• 3B24E8DB-E912-43E2-AC72-9E7F18DCEEC2.jpeg
    3B24E8DB-E912-43E2-AC72-9E7F18DCEEC2.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 3,849
Okay - I'm considering several options. Have one good backpacking type tent, and one larger family tent - but it's not all that great anymore. Ha, never was more than a mild weather tent - but now it's well worn with a couple of decades of camping.

Thanks all!

Guy

Back