Anyone have latest Hornady .45-70 load data?

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
My Hornady reloading manual is kind of old and predates the FTX bullets. Does anyone here have the latest manual, and could share the .45-70 load data for the 325 FTX bullets? Maybe just post a photo of the relevant page(s)? I'm most interested in loads using IMR 4198, but would be interested in others, as well. I assume that Hornady specifies the use of their "short" cases with this bullet, correct?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

I have the new manual and don't want to infringe on copyright by scanning and posting but I can give you the 4198 loads in it :grin:
These are listed under Marlin 1895 lever loads (not for trapdoors or old rifles)
The 325 FTX in a trimmed case (2.04") starts at 40.5 gr for 1800, 42.6 for 1900, 44.8 for 2000, 46.9 for 2100 and redlines at 47.9 for 2150

Dwh7271":1rwe8h14 said:
I have the new manual and don't want to infringe on copyright by scanning and posting but I can give you the 4198 loads in it :grin:
These are listed under Marlin 1895 lever loads (not for trapdoors or old rifles)
The 325 FTX in a trimmed case (2.04") starts at 40.5 gr for 1800, 42.6 for 1900, 44.8 for 2000, 46.9 for 2100 and redlines at 47.9 for 2150
One final question, if I can trouble you: Does it show any of those to be compressed loads?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Brian FWIW I was loading 50g of H4198 in untrimmed cases with the 325FTX and was getting around 2020fps with an 18" bbl.

I got around the short trimming by loading the FTX below the cannelure and using the Lee FCD to crimp tight.

- Bob

BillPa":1scfw6qi said:
The Hodgdon reloading center lists loads for the 45-70 - 325FTX
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Bill
Yes, but I think they're using the full-size .45-70 case, rather than the "short" case that Hornady uses. At least, they don't specify a non-standard case for their load. I haven't tried to see if my Henry could handle the extra length of the Hornady bullet in a full-size case yet, so I was working off the assumption that I'd have to use the shorter cases.

I'll check the manual when I get home and let you know if it shows as compressed.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't stick the FTX bullets in a full length case and expect a good result. They would have to be jammed I would think at that point and with the 45-70 I can't see that as a good option(unless you do as our friend from Oz did and load it short). If you're already running the pressure in the 40s with those loads a spike could have bad consequences.

You're right Dwh if you run them crimped at the cannelure in a full length case, they'll jam in a lever action.

Loaded short and FCD crimped there were sub moa at 125y over the bench. Loaded as such they also functioned perfectly and killed pigs stone dead.

I don't have a FCD and don't plan to buy one, so I'll just stick with the shorter cases if I want to use the FTX bullets.

BobNob, I have heard of instances where the FCD did not do an adequate job when the crimp was not applied on the cannelure in a .45-70, which resulted in bullet setback with disastrous results. Not sure I'd want to go that route, when there are other options available. For the full-length cases, I'm working up loads with both the Nosler 300gr. Ballistic Tip bullet and the Speer 300gr. JHP "Plinker" bullet. Both of them are supposed to be quite accurate and deadly on deer and the like. Will report back when I've had some time to work them up and do some testing.

Just looked in the new Hornady manual and it does not specify whether the loads are compressed or not. Sorry.
In the FWIW column under unasked for advice, I would urge a light crimp on the loads you're putting together if it's a lever or tube feed.

Dwh7271":26qnt6gp said:
Just looked in the new Hornady manual and it does not specify whether the loads are compressed or not. Sorry.
In the FWIW column under unasked for advice, I would urge a light crimp on the loads you're putting together if it's a lever or tube feed.
Thanks for checking.

And, yes...I'm putting a crimp on them. Enough to prevent setback in the tube.

I didn't suffer any setback, and I was applying a firm FCD crimp.

The FTX was just an experiment. I stick with flat points and HPs now. Not too sure there's any real world advantage to the FTX in such a chunky bullet.

I just used them cause I had them.

bobnob":1e3uhsgm said:

The FTX was just an experiment. I stick with flat points and HPs now. Not too sure there's any real world advantage to the FTX in such a chunky bullet.

Amen Bob. The othe HP and flat points work real well in a 45-70. The Nosler and Speer 300's are excellent.

SJB358":2zt8lqpi said:
bobnob":2zt8lqpi said:

Amen Bob. The othe HP and flat points work real well in a 45-70. The Nosler and Speer 300's are excellent.
Those are exactly the two that I'm trying first. I've got a ladder test of the Noslers loaded up, waiting for a chance to do some testing. The Speers are next. I've also got a box of the FTX's and a Hornady seat/crimp die to use with them. I will test them after the other two.

Back