Bushing Die

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
In regard to loading for my 300 Win. Mag. I think I would like to try using a bushing die to minimize working the brass of the neck. I don't plan to neck turn the brass, but I figure that with using the neck bushing I could control how much undersize the neck is formed before being expanded back to 0.306" - 0.307" ID. I have Lapus brass and really want to make it last.

It appears that both Hornady and Redding make full length, neck bushing dies. Is there any reason to choose one over the other? Are there other options to consider?

I appreciate your thoughts. Dan

Redding FL bushing die is my choice. With the FL you have the option to pull the top off and have a body die. I set my FL bushing dies for a slight bump on the shoulder , never have to worry about over sizing. Since you plan on expanding afterwards neck-turning really isn’t needed. However a slight clean up won’t hurt. For bushing size I measure a loaded round and minus 0.002” and still buy one above and below that size.

I agree with RL338, its what I also do. I like to remove the buttons on the resizing dies, they tend to pull on the necks and slightly pull them out of alignment. I like to run .001" - .002" under bullet diameter carbide mandrels to open the necks prior to seating. It works for me. Neck turning is not an option for me if I use quality brass. A clean up of .001" or less won't hurt.

Last edited:
The replies already given summarise my practise. I've never used the Hornady dies, though I would imagine that they work well. When I first began using bushing dies, Redding was all that was available. Ultimately, I ceased using bushing dies because my Forster dies were accomplishing what I needed/wanted without the additional concernl

The replies already given summarise my practise. I've never used the Hornady dies, though I would imagine that they work well. When I first began using bushing dies, Redding was all that was available. Ultimately, I ceased using bushing dies because my Forster dies were accomplishing what I needed/wanted without the additional concernl
DrMike, could you explain " Forster dies were accomplishing what I needed/wanted without the additional concern" in a bit more detail? Do the Forster dies NOT size the neck as small as say RCBS dies and therefore work the brass less? Or, are you referring to ability to raise the expanding ball high in the die? Dan

DrMike, could you explain " Forster dies were accomplishing what I needed/wanted without the additional concern" in a bit more detail? Do the Forster dies NOT size the neck as small as say RCBS dies and therefore work the brass less? Or, are you referring to ability to raise the expanding ball high in the die? Dan
The nice thing with Forster is for a small fee they can hone the neck on the die to your liking. I have one that’s honed for my 30-378 and there is no need for an expander.

The nice thing with Forster is for a small fee they can hone the neck on the die to your liking. I have one that’s honed for my 30-378 and there is no need for an expander.
Yup, used some Forster 223 dies recently, which Gavin had honed by Forster. Wow, produced great ammo!

Guy

Used Redding bushing dies for my 6mmBR when shooting benchrest. Worked great and have the ability to change bushing size for different brass thickness. No experience with Forster dies. Standard Hornady dies are as good as RCBS. Dan.

Dan, as others have mentioned, Forster dies can be honed by the manufacturer. I hope I did not sound cavalier in my response. I only mean to say that I found that for the accuracy I wanted and required for field work, the Forster dies were more than sufficient without worrying about the use of bushing dies. I switched over to Forster dies for almost all my own cartridges, and have seldom used my Redding dies since. That was many years ago. I do have numerous bushings running around here somewhere, but I haven't resorted to them for a long time.

Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate the input and will move forward with the concept of minimizing the working of the brass. Dan

Dan, as others have mentioned, Forster dies can be honed by the manufacturer. I hope I did not sound cavalier in my response. I only mean to say that I found that for the accuracy I wanted and required for field work, the Forster dies were more than sufficient without worrying about the use of bushing dies. I switched over to Forster dies for almost all my own cartridges, and have seldom used my Redding dies since. That was many years ago. I do have numerous bushings running around here somewhere, but I haven't resorted to them for a long tim
Forster dies sound like a simpler way to go. I should try them out. Thanks for the info. Dan.

Back