Own any rifles you haven't shot?

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
I've got a few. Not saying it's a good thing, or a bad thing. Or something to be proud of, or not. Just is. When rifles and what they represent in both history and craftsmanship is a passionate endeavor a person tends to acquire a few that don't need to be shot to be appreciated. I have two I haven't shot by choice, and might not ever, don't know. Another two I just haven't gotten to yet.

How bout you all?

I have a recent center-grip XP-100 purchase (6.5 Leopard/WSM), that I have not shot yet. Used custom XP-100.
I have not even scoped my rear grip switch barrel 25 PRC and 25-284, so don't feel bad.

My reasons vary. One of them is a rifle while not extremely valuable, is certainly worth well more than what I paid for it, and once I got it home and looked it over, I'm convinced is unfired.

I hate to be the first to mark it up using and hunting with it. From the 1970's. 18" carbine model Savage 170 pump in 30-30. Whisper quiet tang safety. Be one heck of a handy little rifle in the woods I generally hunt in, but I got 2 M94's in 30-30 should that itch need scratched. Just don't see the need currently to shoot and use it and am content for now to preserve its current status for the future. Maybe that will change someday.

Nobody ever loaded a cartridge in it using the magazine for sure. The factory paint on the end of the plunger is pristine. Same can be said of the sling swivel mounts. Never had a sling in them.

No evidence of bluing wear or fade on either the muzzle, or in the barrel. Like I said not right or wrong, just for now I don't see the reason to shoot it. If I started using it who knows, might be carrying it all the time. Ha.

We have 5 rifles at this time that have not been shot, at least by us, and of which one is still NIB.
The first two are Winchester lever actions, a beautiful Winchester 1894 AE XTR in 30-30 that is in excellent condition that I just couldn't pass up when I saw it, and the second, a beautiful 94 Big Bore in 375 Win also in excellent condition. Very pretty wood on both! Both appear to have been fired very little, and hope to pass on to my daughter in the future...and well, just fun to own and admire in the interim. Cool to have both the Winchester and the Marlin in 375 Win! (also have both in 356 Win). Still need to shoot to verify iron sights are on for factory ammo. Will need to hunt with them, but am thinking that I will let my daughter and/or her boyfriend, have the pleasure of taking game with them first.
The third is a Marlin 336 BL that is destined to rebarreled to 414 Super Mag when I can find a barrel and a reamer for this cartridge. A 265 gr Keith style bullet @ 2400 fps should give approx. 2400 ft-lbs of energy and be a great bear/moose thumper! Just have to get some other rifle projects finished first.
And the fourth is a custom built LH Rem 700 DM in 358 Win I picked up that hadn't even been fired by the guy who had it built. I have it in at the gunsmith right now for installation of NECG iron sights, and to get a new stock (the one currently on it was a RH stock reconfigured to LH and painted), preferably in a Mannlicher style, and then have the metal work finished in French Gray (22" SS McGowan barrel still in the white at this time). While the gunsmith was looking over the rifle when I took it in for the sights, he found that the detachable magazine had issues and wouldn't even feed; so it is being changed out for a regular floor plate and magazine box. A little disappointed in losing the DM, but need it to function and feed properly. Looking forward to getting this homoe, as a LH bolt action 358 Win has been in the Bucket List for 20 years.
The fifth is a NIB Lipsey's Edition Ruger No.1 RSI in 257 Roberts, with beautiful wood. It now belongs to the wife, and since she is enjoying her Lipsey's Edition Ruger No.1 in 250 Savage, we have not yet mounted a scope on the Bob and shot it. As it is, this rifle is only increasing in value at this time (only 248 of these rifles made).
I do also have a shotgun that is brand new, and I just haven't had/made time to get to the range and try it out yet; a Benelli Ethos in 28 ga. Beautiful shotgun! Took a couple of years to finally get this. It will definitely be shot and hunted!

Last edited:
Don't own any that haven't been shot. Own quite a few that are underused. Perhaps they should be sold, but I did purchase them for a reason. Just not critical for me to pull the trigger more frequently.

I'm not even gonna get in the conversation of underused. Good things guns don't have feelings or voices, I'm afraid they'd be planning an overthrow coup to establish new ownership. :LOL:

Blkram, that's quite a list. I have a BLR 358 that's NIB that far as I know will be shot and used hunting, but for now am content for it to be out of sight out of mind in its box. That little Ruger M77 tang safety UL in 250 savage I have full plans of shooting, but I don't know if I'll hunt with it. Probably a 98% rifle and I got enough other 25 caliber rifles I can use. But never know, that could change also.

The others just didn't get to yet. A savage 10 in 7mm-08 with a light contoured 20" barrel will likely be used quite a bit once I get going with it.

Shadetree,
The BLR in 358 is such a fun gun!
And they can be surprisingly accurate. Mine will shoot MOA despite its horrible trigger, and the one I bought from DrMike, then sold back to him for his grandson would shoot 3 shot groups of .3"
Mine has seen many miles over the years, in hand, in the back pack as back up for guiding and archery hunting, in scabbards on atv's and horseback. It has also taken its fair share of game, for myself and others, including a hunter's finishing shot on a moose when he left his spare ammo in his saddlebags on the final stock for said moose, and my daughter's first big game animal (mule deer). It even backed up DrMike on his grizzly bear.

I think I only have one rifle that I haven't shot, and maybe one I shouldn't have but did anyway, and plenty that are under utilized.
Unshot is just a plan Rem700 6.5 creed ADL that I bought new for the action. no project planned for it but it sits in the corner of the closet still.
Maybe I shouldn't have shot my Winchester Model 1892 Deluxe Octagon Takedown in 357 that I bought this spring but it did finally make it to the range this summer and then put back above the fire place.

I have a 50 cal flintlock that I haven’t shot in several years. I keep meaning to get it out and shoot it but just haven’t gotten around to it.

That 30-30 pump looks like a sweet little rifle. Handy mild recoil and quick follow up shots.

I purchased a used Mauser several years ago because it had a carbine length barrel and was marked as being 8x57 - someone had clearly cut it down to length and affixed a new front sight. I should have looked at the stamp to confirm, but nope, I was having a stupid moment. I got it home, looked it over, and saw it was chambered in.... .308? Whaaat? It is a Spanish Civil Guard Mauser, re-cut from (I assume) 7x57 to .308. It's old. I think I tracked it down once to early 30's manufacture. And, to be perfectly honest, I've been terrified to try and shoot commercial .308 through it. Perhaps once I get through a few reloading projects, I will do up some 30-30 level loads for it and give it a go. Until then? Nope.

None unfired just waiting their turn in rotation. I just pick which ones I'm going to hunt with for the year then switch out the next year. Did semi-retire my 30-06 for a while but it resurfaced last year to take my biggest buck. That rifle and I go back aways. Occasionally they make it to the range between seasons. I try to keep all of the 22lr going by the grandkids or me, lol. Dan.

Here's another one. Not unfired, but the 9 empty's you see in the plastic box is all I put through it. Bought it late summer/early fall last yr, Slapped a 12x Leupold on it just to test it. It done this on that first test session at 200 yds. Took the scope off, bolt out and de-cocked it, cleaned the barrel and it's been back in its box ever since.

Jeeze that's pathetic. I could be strung out on a stretch rack as punishment and I'm not sure I'd hold it against anybody. Been a strange yr, but I'll get back in the swing of things shortly.

Here's another one. Not unfired, but the 9 empty's you see in the plastic box is all I put through it. Bought it late summer/early fall last yr, Slapped a 12x Leupold on it just to test it. It done this on that first test session at 200 yds. Took the scope off, bolt out and de-cocked it, cleaned the barrel and it's been back in its box ever since.

Jeeze that's pathetic. I could be strung out on a stretch rack as punishment and I'm not sure I'd hold it against anybody. Been a strange yr, but I'll get back in the swing of things shortly.

It would take uncanny strength to avoid using that rifle. You, sir, must be super human!

It would take uncanny strength to avoid using that rifle. You, sir, must be super human!

I don't know, the more accurate term might be what was stated above, pathetic. :oops: One good thing, when things settle down, I always got a Christmas present to look forward to getting back out of the box with that one. Be hard to top that first session, but it should remain real fun to work with.

I was giddy enough apparently at the results that when I wrote the specs on the rifle and load, I put 165 Speer HC. They were Speer 165 BTSP's.

I don't know, the more accurate term might be what was stated above, pathetic. :oops: One good thing, when things settle down, I always got a Christmas present to look forward to getting back out of the box with that one. Be hard to top that first session, but it should remain real fun to work with.

I was giddy enough apparently at the results that when I wrote the specs on the rifle and load, I put 165 Speer HC. They were Speer 165 BTSP's.
Merry Christmas!:ROFLMAO:

I havea couple. One is a Winchester model 42 .410 shotgun that dad bought when he got too "old" to carry the big shotguns, so he found the 42 at a gun show, serial number puts it 1936...Then Theres a Remington 552 "speedmaster" I grabbed up a couple years ago. They're nothing special, but sthey're pecial to me.

Back