22 Rim Fire Long Range?

If you have a Rural King close by, they sell an adjustable padded stool that the range I belong to uses at the benches. We cut 5-6 ins off the legs, and it works perfect for all sizes of shooters. When not in use slide in under the bench out of the weather and way. Just throwing it out there. Dan.
I do have a rural king , not far away . when I get to rural king I'll be sure to check out that stool . thanks for the tip .

I bought a couple boards to make a riser , for the stool .

edit for grammer

Last edited:
I had a spare nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS sitting on the shelf so I put it in my tikka t1x. Took it to the range today. It was gusty wind playing hell with my groups but finally got a calm moment and shot this great 200 yard group with CCI standard 40gr ammo that was sorted for rum thickness.

I had a few other rifles I v brought but used the rimfire while I waited on the big rifles to cool. Hitting steel at 200-300 and rocks at 350 against the berm. So much fun lobbing those little 40gr subsonic loads in at longer ranges.

Attachments

• 3654F7CC-744E-4AF0-9D83-41F9582322B2.jpeg
    3654F7CC-744E-4AF0-9D83-41F9582322B2.jpeg
    675.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 64D90B68-11A6-42FA-B24B-7431FE24A61F.jpeg
    64D90B68-11A6-42FA-B24B-7431FE24A61F.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 11
  • AE5D086F-3E84-45AE-849E-9B61C8B78788.jpeg
    AE5D086F-3E84-45AE-849E-9B61C8B78788.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 11
JD - those are some really nice 22's. Growing up we used to "go to town" and shoot at the local dump. Lots of "targets of opportunity" most of them more than 100 yards, at least from a wheelchair or pick up tailgate. Nothing quite like a shooting gallery that changed every week. Got me hooked. Current 22Mag.

I had a spare nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS sitting on the shelf so I put it in my tikka t1x. Took it to the range today. It was gusty wind playing hell with my groups but finally got a calm moment and shot this great 200 yard group with CCI standard 40gr ammo that was sorted for rum thickness.

I had a few other rifles I v brought but used the rimfire while I waited on the big rifles to cool. Hitting steel at 200-300 and rocks at 350 against the berm. So much fun lobbing those little 40gr subsonic loads in at longer ranges.
Excellent!!!

I've been shooting a bunch of 22 LR lately. There a bunch of ammo out there that is very accurate and pretty easy on the pocketbook. Right now SK Standard plus is the most accurate Subsonic I've tried, ever better than Eley Match..As far as the high velocity ammo is concerned, plane old mini-mags, and Aquila interceptors shoot extremely well. Mine is just an inexpensive Savage MK II-F with a Cheap Athon Talos scope, but it's capable of 3/4" at 100. Never stretched it past that, and better optics would probably shrink that group.

I've been shooting a bunch of 22 LR lately. There a bunch of ammo out there that is very accurate and pretty easy on the pocketbook. Right now SK Standard plus is the most accurate Subsonic I've tried, ever better than Eley Match..As far as the high velocity ammo is concerned, plane old mini-mags, and Aquila interceptors shoot extremely well. Mine is just an inexpensive Savage MK II-F with a Cheap Athon Talos scope, but it's capable of 3/4" at 100. Never stretched it past that, and better optics would probably shrink that group.
Furthest I have grouped mine is 500 yards on steel, and even then, only one time.
Stretch it out...It's fun!

JD338, I have that same rifle. It's been my pocket gopher sniping rifle for years. I also have a barreled action from a cheaper model that some guy got mad at and smashed the stock breaking it beyond repair. I talked him out of trying bend the barrel and brought the rifle home. I salvaged a portion of the original stock, the part that beds the action, epoxied that into an old junk Mauser stock, sporter type, not military. That gun is so ugly it make sin beautiful but dammit, it'll keep up with the heavy barreled version all day long. It too is used for sniping pocket gophers. All I have to do is remember where I stored the magazines. They're hard to come by.
Paul B.

JD338, I have that same rifle. It's been my pocket gopher sniping rifle for years. I also have a barreled action from a cheaper model that some guy got mad at and smashed the stock breaking it beyond repair. I talked him out of trying bend the barrel and brought the rifle home. I salvaged a portion of the original stock, the part that beds the action, epoxied that into an old junk Mauser stock, sporter type, not military. That gun is so ugly it make sin beautiful but dammit, it'll keep up with the heavy barreled version all day long. It too is used for sniping pocket gophers. All I have to do is remember where I stored the magazines. They're hard to come by.
Paul B.
Good story Paul. Like you, mine shoots lights out.
It really likes Remington Yellow jackets. It's accounted for countless racoons, possums, chipmunks, woodchucks and such. I've also shot 2 mice off a bird feeder. I wish I could get a couple of metal magazines for it.

JD338

X7tgvL3.jpg

lots of fun!

RR,
I guess so! That's a pretty nice collection of 22 Rd rifles.

JD338

A buddy at work has a heavy barrel Kimber that will embarrass a lot of centerfires at 100yds.
I have no rim fires , I guess I’m missing out🙁 on this long range stuff.

Back