Worlds fastest outhouse visit

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Had to run over the cabin and unlock the gate to meet with the well driller. Visited the outhouse when this dude came crawling down the door about a foot in front of my face. I know he/she is just a harmless wolf spider, but it’s a whopper of an arachnid! On the way out I joked “you picked a crappy place to live”

Attachments

• 83AB0BE1-553C-4A58-8278-723D14EC1F1A.jpeg
    83AB0BE1-553C-4A58-8278-723D14EC1F1A.jpeg
    723.7 KB · Views: 20
When I was working in Florida, we were told to always look under the benches before we sat down due to Brown Recluse taking up residence on the undersides. Well, one day, a young man decided not to heed that warning. The last I saw of him, he was face down on a stretcher while a corpsman was busy with a syringe and a large-gauge needle to remove bits from his posterior. Yes, this is the public friendly version of the story.

When I was working in Florida, we were told to always look under the benches before we sat down due to Brown Recluse taking up residence on the undersides. Well, one day, a young man decided not to heed that warning. The last I saw of him, he was face down on a stretcher while a corpsman was busy with a syringe and a large-gauge needle to remove bits from his posterior. Yes, this is the public friendly version of the story.
Oh, yes, I recall the aftermath of someone reaching into a dark recess only to meet a brown recluse. We grew up with them in KS and constantly encountered them in TX. None up here, that I know of. :cautious:

When I was working in Florida, we were told to always look under the benches before we sat down due to Brown Recluse taking up residence on the undersides. Well, one day, a young man decided not to heed that warning. The last I saw of him, he was face down on a stretcher while a corpsman was busy with a syringe and a large-gauge needle to remove bits from his posterior. Yes, this is the public friendly version of it
I’ve been bit by them and it wasn’t that bad, painful and swelling. But one got my daughter on the shin and she ended up getting a debridement surgery and took months to heel. Looked like you took a scoop from her shin with a melon baller. Mom had some guys remodeling a room and 1 was stuffing insulation above the studs and 1 hit him on the top of his finger. He eventually lost the last inch, or so, of his finger.

I’ve been bit by them and it wasn’t that bad, painful and swelling. But one got my daughter on the shin and she ended up getting a debridement surgery and took months to heel. Looked like you took a scoop from her shin with a melon baller. Mom had some guys remodeling a room and 1 was stuffing insulation above the studs and 1 hit him on the top of his finger. He eventually lost the last inch, or so, of his finger.
Yes, it can be serious. But from my safe distance, have to confess to laughing more than a little.

My shooting club in PA put a potra-potty near the end of the shooting line. It wasn't long before they posted a sign on the front of the door. "Caution - look for snakes inside". It wasn't a joke. For some reason our property had far more than its share of rattle snakes and one had already taken up residence in the porta-potty. :oops::eek::oops:

My shooting club in PA put a potra-potty near the end of the shooting line. It wasn't long before they posted a sign on the front of the door. "Caution - look for snakes inside". It wasn't a joke. For some reason our property had far more than its share of rattle snakes and one had already taken up residence in the porta-potty. :oops::eek::oops:

Thanks, but I'll wait 'til I get home! :eek:

My Mom was bit by a smaller wolfy once. They are not deadly but their bite can eat away your skin. It is kind of the effect of getting a burn. Ran into a Brown Recluse only once, hiding in a closet in some kid play tents. Nobody got bit, thank goodness. Encountered many more Black Widows than Recluse, and their venom is similar, but Black Widows don't tend to be the runners that the Recluse are, so they tend to be easier to kill from a safe distance.

My Mom was bit by a smaller wolfy once. They are not deadly but their bite can eat away your skin. It is kind of the effect of getting a burn. Ran into a Brown Recluse only once, hiding in a closet in some kid play tents. Nobody got bit, thank goodness. Encountered many more Black Widows than Recluse, and their venom is similar, but Black Widows don't tend to be the runners that the Recluse are, so they tend to be easier to kill from a safe distance.
We had lots of the Black Widows in KS. They were sufficiently common that people didn't actually take much notice of them. I never knew anyone who was bitten. The Brown Recluse, however, seemed to have bitten several people that I knew. Nasty piece of work. The knowledge that they were present did cause me to be somewhat careful about putting my hands into dark recesses.

Jeepers- we mostly had Garter snakes. Prolific, creepy, and basically harmless. I grew up east of the river so rattlers were almost non-existant.. Dont go screwing around under hay bales in the fall, and dont stick your hands or feet anywhere you cant see first. Old buildings and foundations (outhouses) could be a problem... but no flesh eating spiders..... I guess for once I'm glad to live in the great white NORTH.

I got bit on the arm once by a brown recluse (not catching crickets) swelled up the size of a golf ball. Antibiotics took care of it. Dan.

The range I used to shoot at had a snake problem Lots of rattle snakes including the notorious Mojave Green version. There were signs on both bathrooms that said ,"WATCH FOR SNAKES." Much of the time I carried an S&W M60 with 125 gr. federals but on range days I'd switch and replace two rounds with my homemade snake loads. Lots of fun sitting on the commode and seeing a big fat rattler coming out from behind the commode. A very loud noise usually accompanied the sighting.
Paul B.

Back