More 348 work.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Loaded up 5 more to shoot on a short jaunt I had time for today. Same load as the other day, the only thing different today is that instead of using those old CCI primers from the 90's, I loaded up with much newer primers.

Shot well at 50. Just over 3/4" but to the right. Primers making that difference? I doubt it, but who knows. With my eyesight and iron sights it's probably the Indian and not the arrow.

I had 2 more to shoot, so I set up another target at 100 yards. I contemplated fudging my hold to the left, but thought no.......if it does the same thing it will double that amount at 100. Sure enough. The 50 yd group was 1.5" to the right of center, 100 yards was 3" right of center.

2 shot group at 100 was just under an inch. Don't know why it or me is shooting right, but I guess if it keeps this up I'll drift the rear sight over.

I note that the photos show in a separate window when I click on the postimage icon. The results are encouraging. Just a bit to the left, and you'll have a load that is precisely on target.

You need Reloader 19 with 200gr Hornady and Barnes 250gr FN originals
The Winchester 71 very popular in Alaska for those lucky to own one . 60.0 w/250gr RL 19 and WW brass with WLR primer

Last edited:
Reloader 19 @ 65
200gr FN
348 Win

Don't doubt your word that RL 19 would at least be good for me to try, but it is sometimes hard to come by, especially in todays market. I've switched to 64.5 grains of IMR 4350. Runs about the same speed as the Varget load averaging 2536 the one time I checked it. Is showing better consistency at 100 yds giving 1.5" on my good days which is about as good as I can ask myself to do anymore with buckhorn sights and is better than I need for my max distances with iron sights. I have a couple peep sighted rifles that make things a little easier.

From Handloader mag
The rifle and cartridge were introduced in January 1936, with the .348 Winchester cartridge loaded with 150- and 200-grain bullets. Various reports of factory-original muzzle velocities for the 150- grain bullet range from 2,890 to 2,920 fps. Muzzle velocities for the 200-grain bullet have been reported from 2,520 to 2,535 fps.

I got these coming this week. So excited!
Good from Mice to Moose.

2800 fps should be easy!

Yep those should be dandy if they shoot, and I'd imagine they will. I seen those a while back when I was starting to get low on my 348 bullets but have since acquired 1,000 of the Hornady 200 gr FP's so I doubt I will be trying the Hammers out anytime soon. I was happy to get those Hornady's but you can bet if I was needing 348 bullets those Hammer's would be the next thing I'd try. Should work great.

Several years ago I picked up a couple hundred of the Speer 220 grain bullets for my .348. I posted it somewhere and I think the consensus was they had not been made since the 60’s or 70’s. I think I even called Speer trying to see if they had any load data in the archives. One of these days I’ll get around to loading some up.

Several years ago I picked up a couple hundred of the Speer 220 grain bullets for my .348. I posted it somewhere and I think the consensus was they had not been made since the 60’s or 70’s. I think I even called Speer trying to see if they had any load data in the archives. One of these days I’ll get around to loading some up.

I have that same box of bullets I picked up a couple of yrs ago. I should send it to you or else you sell me a couple of yours. Ha. Just one box until I figure out a load I wouldn't have a lot left.

Those bullets in my box measure 1.025-1.028 the few I measured. Seated just to the base of the neck would make the overall length 2.829-2.832, so too long at that length. Looks like a loaded length of 2.800 would put it right on the cannelure and would not be far at all below the neck.

If I was loading mine up I'd start at around 55 grains of IMR 4350 and work up. Should be able to safely get 2430 or so. I bet they will work just fine for deer and black bear.

I have that same box of bullets I picked up a couple of yrs ago. I should send it to you or else you sell me a couple of yours. Ha. Just one box until I figure out a load I wouldn't have a lot left.

Those bullets in my box measure 1.025-1.028 the few I measured. Seated just to the base of the neck would make the overall length 2.829-2.832, so too long at that length. Looks like a loaded length of 2.800 would put it right on the cannelure and would not be far at all below the neck.

If I was loading mine up I'd start at around 55 grains of IMR 4350 and work up. Should be able to safely get 2430 or so. I bet they will work just fine for deer and black bear.
I had to end my Montana trip a bit early when my back decided to go out so I’ve been shuffling around the house all week and haven’t made it out to the garage. I’ll have to get out there and measure them. I’m sure they’re the same length. Grandad had a .348 up in Alaska. He sold it to a guy when he moved back down to Montana. Last time I ran into him he still used it to hunt Elk with a few years ago. The old man always liked the 250 grain bullets, but good luck finding those anymore. Here’s a Northeast Washington Whitetail I took with mine using a Hornady 200 grain FTX at 157 yards using a peep sight In 2013.0093B057-7FA1-450E-9794-007A5F5ED339.jpeg

Sorry about the back, Lefty. That can put us out of commission in a big hurry. Yeah, those 250 grain pills in the old reliable could be just the thing.

I have a ample supply of the old Barnes Orginal 250gr FN and Hornady 200gr FN for my 348 win.
I also have some 245gr Hardcast gas checked that I have never shot. RL 19 has given me great results in my 1953 Win 71.

Last edited:
Since I have never owned a .348, I probably shouldn't comment on it: However I do have a bunch of guide friends, that have luged then for decades. Got to listen to lots of .348 story's from them. I have watched my clients shoot Moose and Bear with them for years. I could see no difference in how it performs compared to a .358W or in standard loadings even the 35 Whelen. It is more than adequate for anything you are going to hunt in N.A. If you luv lever guns and hunt Elk or Moose at normal ranges , there is not a cartridge out there that is better. It will fold up a 65" Bull Moose as fast as a 416 Rigby both shot thru the ribs......... These would likely be awesome for anything under 300lbs??Screenshot_20230202-081257.png

Last edited:
Back