The barrel that.......

TexasLife

Handloader
May 24, 2020
For those who have either had custom jobs or built you own and have had poor results with it? Ok, you now installed a barrel on your trusty rifle, worked up loads, tested.........and results were less on the lacking. You might have had/made a choice from a suggestion of a friend, internet research or maybe a 2nd barrel from the same company? Some are new popping up every year and some a few decades old? What gets you coming back or just leaving those mfgs? These choices can be on AR's and/or BA's on your experience. Aero Precision was new to me when I was looking for a 6.5creed barrel (not a build from them, only a barrel purchase). They had 3 in stock and was going to ship it in the next 3 days. I got busy and haven't checked on the order in 3 weeks. Gave them a call and a reply was "the accuracy wasn't meeting their guidelines". About the 6 week mark the barrel arrived. Installed the barrel and WOW what a shooter with factory ammo nun the least. I've built over 50 AR's in 10's and 15's that have had several different cartridges for them. I have PR, CBI, Faxon, BCA, AP, Rosco and a few others that haven't failed accuracy test. Now I'm on to BA's. While the 2 in building stage are 110lam actions for 300wm (C6 30" 9T magnum profile) (McGowen barrel for C6) and 264wm (McGowen 32" 7.5T savage magnum profile) I'll see how they stand up. Some might have a reputable name, but get lost in quality or accuracy? What are your experiences?

I have the following
Hart #5 280AI, shoots every .3 or better
Krieger #5 338RUM, 2" groups at 800 yards
Shilen 6.5 JDJ, .5 MOA

Nosler rifles-
M48 Pac Nor 280AI, .4's
M48 Carbon wrap Proof Research 30 Nosler, sub .5 MOA
M21 Shilen Match Grade 308 Win, .350"
M21 Shilen Match Grade 375 H&H, .65". Need to do more load development.

All of them are a snap to clean too

JD338

I've had a couple barrels from Preferred Barrel Blanks and they well. They were a bit more picky.

The one on my 280 Ackley is a Proof Research and I've shot one hole groups with it. Will buy another one when it wears out.

I have rifles that sport Pac-Nor, Hart, and Douglas barrels. All deliver excellent results. I also have one Bevin King barrel that is a prize as it was one of the last barrels he produced before his death. It delivers great accuracy in y 358 Norma rifle.

Most of my custom barrels are from the late Bevan King and shoot great.
Other than that I have one Krieger (338 Federal), 2 Benchmark's (250 Savage and 6.5 Creedmoor), 2 Wilson cf barrels ( 338 Federal and 6.5 PRC - untried as yet), 1 MacLellan (7MM STW), and 1 McGowan (358 Win - untried as yet). All tested to date have proved to be MOA or better, and most to 1/2 MOA. Very happy with these performances!
Will see about the 2 untried barrels upon completion of projects and chance to test.
Most are on bolt actions, although the Krieger and one Benchmark are on Model 88 lever actions.

I don't do any remage or anything myself.
Barrels I use, and am very happy with!
Bartlein (More than 5)
Brux (More than 5)
Krieger (More than 5)
Hart (4)
Lilja (4)
McGowan (3)
Carbon Six (1)
Proof Research (3)
Broughton (3)
Rock (2) AR-Pistol Uppers
One or two Douglas and one or two Shilen
Benchmark (1)

Last edited:
If I want serious accuracy, that is capable of upper level 600/1K BR or F-Class it is these three in any order:
Bartlein
Brux
Krieger

Broughton (Button) would make #4, but Tim has gone kind of quiet for the past several years, and his barrels were substantially higher. I have 2 F-Open barrels by him, and my 6mm-284 XP which I killed a pd just under 1600 yards in less than 10 shots.

For button barrels, Hart and Lilja are my top two choices

I don't do any remage or anything myself.
Barrels I use, and am very happy with!
Bartlein (More than 5)
Brux (More than 5)
Krieger (More than 5)
Hart (4)
Lilja (4)
McGowan (3)
Carbon Six (1)
Proof Research (3)
Broughton (3)
Rock (2) AR-Pistol Uppers
One or two Douglas and one or two Shilen
Benchmark (1)
Wow , you keep some gunsmith awfully busy😁

I have several custom rifles where I used Douglas barrels. I have absolutely no complaints. They as shooter better that I'm capable of holding.
Paul B.

My .220 Swift and .30-06 are my two most favorite and most used rifles. Both have Douglas Premium barrels installed by my favorite gunsmith, Randy Wills of Bend, Oregon.

We also have a Savage 1899 .25-35 and a Winchester Model 70 push-feed .264 Win Mag that both have Douglas barrels as well.

Nothing but good to say about them!

Back