Shiloh Sharps 50 2 1/2”

Know absolutely nothing about the cartridge but man that is a good looking rifle with about as much eye appeal in the stock as you're gonna get. Very nice!

At work for a few weeks but I’ve got about all I need to get going once I’m done with work for a spell. 30” drop tube, compression die, wiping stick, etc….

Finally saw the SuperTrickler landed at my doorstep this week so that’ll be cool to use for this project as well.

It's going to be a hoot to shoot.
We all anxiously await your range report Scotty.

JD338

Been working with the Sharps a bit the past couple of weeks. It was a process learning how to load BP loads for the rifle, but I did get some 705's loaded up with 110 grains of Swiss 1.5F powder with a .030 wad. It is really alot of fun loading for this big son of a gun.

Anyhow, here were my 1st three shots at 100 yards with the big gun..

I was mighty happy to just be on the paper! I am still working out a proper bull to aim at though. I tried a white sheet of paper, but I think a 10-12" black bull might be what's needed.

Next I drifted the front sight to the left and held center mass, also, I moved up to 25 yards as I was instructed by the Sharps fellas to get it hitting spot on for windage.

I was tickled pink....

I then moved back to 100 yards again, holding center mass...

Well, I almost passed out upon seeing that. I know it was alot of luck and stars aligning, but wow.

Now, I have to file the front sight until my rifle puts its rounds 5-6" high above POI at 100 yards to get my sights to line up. I have started but haven't quite gotten there yet.

I am sure someone may ask, but the reason you want your POI's 5-6" above your sight at 100 and every range is because you want to rest your target on top of the sight instead of blotting out the target, guess it helps with precision at distance which makes a ton of sense. I have been a 6 O'Clock hold with irons for years anyhow, just not quite that much..

This is the flip up. I haven't gotten to any shooting with it in that position yet, as I am still working with it folded down, but once I get my 100 yard zero perfect, I will flip it and start doing 150-200-250-300-35-400-etc..

More to come.

Dang... So with those three shots centered, you put 2115 grains of bullets into a very small group at 100 yards...

Impressive! Should make a darned fine varmint rifle... ;)

How's it feel to shoot Scotty?

Dang... So with those three shots centered, you put 2115 grains of bullets into a very small group at 100 yards...

Impressive! Should make a darned fine varmint rifle... ;)

How's it feel to shoot Scotty?

Guy, the easiest way I would say it recoils is like a 2 3/4" high brass pheasant load 12 gauge from a decently weighted shotgun. Not punishing in the least. I was told to also not use a rear bag, grip the gun on the pistol grip and forend and rest my had on the bag. Doing that, I have had 0 issues shooting 10-15 rounds at a sit. It is really the big push everyone talks about.. First time I have really experienced it.

You get some torque from it moving a 700 grain bullet down a 1-18 twist bore, but nothing crazy. I can't even begin to say how much fun this thing is.

Well, I think I finally got the sights regulated where they are supposed to be in order to get the ladder to regulate. Basic gist is about 5" high at 100 yards, so you 6 O'Clock hold it on targets. Well, today was overcast with some snow flurries.

I used Montana Bullet Works 700 grain Gov't bullet, 110 grains of Swiss 1.5F in Starline brass with CCI200's.

1st three went left quite a bit. I got out the hammer and punch and drifted the front sight to the left.

Shot the next 3...

Well, I felt good about the windage, so I fired another 3 just to make sure..

Well, now I was wondering what was going on, cause I should have been higher on elevation.. I cranked off another 3 rounds and had them all at the bottom of the plate.

So I got out the file started filing..

When I think I had enough, I fired three. Didn't clean between, just long enough to eject the empty and hammer another in the chamber.

I shot this, packed my bags and called it good enough for today.

Some perspective. 35 Whelen and 308 on the flank...

Last edited:
Looking good Scotty. You are getting her dialed in nicely. Hope you can take that cannon into the deer woods this fall.

JD338

Very nice! That is a great achievement. Good luck on finding something to shoot with it.

That is good shooting with open sight not to mention loading such a beast. Hope you get some meat with it this fall. Dan.

Hey Scotty just a little something else to consider with adjusting your POI.
Though I'm use to shooting black powder muzzle loaders I found by adjusting the powder charge for intended range of shooting worked great to change the elevation.
I had my target load and then I had my hunting load.
While hunting deer with my muzzle loader on private property a friend decided he would cull some ducks for the owner of the property. Doing so he ended my mourning hunt by spooking everything around me. Not knowing who was doing the shooting I ventured back to my parked vehicle to see what was going on since it sounded like a war zone.
I found my friend trying to retrieve numerous wounded ducks that had made it back to an open patch of water on the froze over pond. The ice was too thin to walk on and he asked me if I had anything smaller then my .45 cal. muzzle loader to kill the ducks with. ( these were tame ducks and not wild)
I used this rifle for primitive target competition and knew it well so I offered to shoot the ducks heads off.
Back then I had good eyesight and didn't need glasses to see well and he knew how well I could shoot handguns since we belonged to the same pistol club.
I proceeded to take aim at the first duck and parted the feathers on top of it's head since I forgot I had a hunting powder charge in the rifle. Dropped the charge from 110grs down to 50grs and went back to work. The front sight had been adjusted for a 6:00 hold and the heavy powder charge raised the point of impact causing me to miss the duck but the next shot ended it's day by removing it's head and six more.
You can also adjust your powder charge to fine tune your POI just like I did.
Sharps breach loading rifles used for long range target shooting were fitted with a false muzzle that was rifled at the same time the barrel rifling was cut so the muzzle didn't wear from being loaded at the muzzle.
A empty primed cartridge was inserted into the chamber, the powder charge poured into the muzzle and settled,
The false muzzle was installed and a paper patched bullet was seated thru the false muzzle and seated on the powder charge.
Fun but the Buffalo hunters did the same thing with their Sharp's breach loaders also Until Sharps converted them to shooting cartridge loaded ammo.

Thanks for the comments fellas. I will say, anyone thinking about getting one of the Sharps or similar and doing the Blackpowder cartridge loading, it really is pretty easy, and clean up is really quite easy. I use a spit patch at the range with a hickory wiping stick to swab the bore while on the range, then some Windex with Vinegar to clean it up real good back at the house. Once it's fully cleaned up I use some patches with Olive Oil to swab and protect the bore. It really is a piece of cake.

Loading them is a few more steps, but nothing much different than loading a 45-70 or other straight sided cartridge. The only difference is compressing the powder charge, but all the rest is about the same.

I always wanted one of those, seeing your results on paper really has me thinking. Dang it. You are really doing some spectacular shooting. Well done.

Back