Really???

That might a explain a little, but the fact that one company controls the supper majority of powders in the US I believe has to do a lot with tripling the price in 4 years. We all know who that company is. You'd have to convinve me otherwise. Similar situation with primers, but in this case its a different company.

If people would bond together and let it sit on the shelves it might help. I know not everyone can do that. But when it is put there and it's gone in hours that tells them we will pay the prices.

If people would bond together and let it sit on the shelves it might help. I know not everyone can do that. But when it is put there and it's gone in hours that tells them we will pay the prices.
I'd like to think that way,but the reality is, foreign companies are taking control of the ammunition market.Endless wars and long term US government and NATO contracts are making it very hard on the public consumer of those products.

If there's gouging going on it's not the retailer in most cases. New lots of IMR powders that came in are running $65-low $70's about anywhere you look including local shops. It obviously took a big jump across the board. Why that is.........who knows the full answer. But where the retailers are concerned, pay more, charge more, that's how it works.

No different than the new $20 an hr minimum restaurant wage going into affect out in CA. A person can't be mad at McDonalds for their bill if they stop in CA. They can't charge less than operating costs and stay in business.

1 lbs of IMR 4831 was $65.00 in Scheels in Loveland Colorado last week.

oI have a good supply of propellants, but I did notice that almost all Winchester powders were marked at $99.99 in the larger chain stores here in the Great White North. Definitely not the situation that prevailed before Bidenomics and the election of Castro's son here in Canada.

1 lbs of IMR 4831 was $65.00 in Scheels in Loveland Colorado last week.
I was at Scheels in Overland Park, Kansas, on Saturday and found the same thing. IMR 4350 was the same price, essentially $10 more per pound than the Hodgdon equivalent. Winchester, Accurate/ Ramshot, and Hodgdon powders were cheaper than IMR even though all are Hodgdon items.

I did, however, buy an 8 lb jug of Reloder 16. It was $442, but I had a $75 gift card, which reduced the price to $367 or $45.88/lb. Yes, it's more than we used to pay, but with the dearth of Alliant products on the shelf and the astromomic price tags if you find it, it was worth it for me. I have a Creedmoor that absolutely loves it.

As an aside, at an Academy Sportsbthe same day, I found 4 sleeves of Winchester LR primers for $8.99 each and snagged those too.

Ron

I've heard from several sources that one of the reason for the scarcity and thus higher prices for power is the lack of nitrocellulose. Without nitrocellulose you cannot have smokeless powder.. Seems the majority of nitrocellulose apparently has been coming from Russia. Between Russia's conflict with the Ukraine and us giving support to not only the Ukraine but Israel as well there isn't much left for us peons and we have to pay through the nose for what pittance is left. Not only the U.S. is short of the stuff but the rest of the world as well.

Frankly, I'm blamimg corporate greed for the shortage here in the U.S. It started a long time ago when DuPont dropped making gun powders and sold to IMR in Canada. I blame Hodgden for buying all the various available powder souces he could get away with. I blame the companies that literally threw us reloaders to the side so they could concentrate on military and other government contracts that have been renewed well before initial contracts were filled.

I do freely admit that my comments are strictly my opinion based on what information I've been able to locate. Take them for whatever you think they may be worth.
Paul B.

Back