Interview with Adam Weatherby

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Really interesting interview with Adam Weatherby on how things are going. He goes into some more detail on their move to Wyoming and says that they have doubled in size since moving. Talks about how they had to adapt in order to be successful especially in the last few years of trying to source components for ammo and their rifles. Well worth watching or listening to.

He mentioned that in Wyoming they have a facility that's twice as big as what they had in California but their energy costs are 5 times less in Wyoming. That's huge for a company.

I like the direction they are going and I like the character of Adam and family.

I'm going to help support the Weatherby cause by getting a Backcountry in 6.5 Weatherby RPM.

JD338
Now you're talking! I like the 6.5 RPM the most out of their rounds, a nice step up from the 6.5 PRC. Almost exactly the same power as a 264 Win Mag.

Excellent interview. Thanks Adam, Brenda, and team.
In load development stage of my 6.5 RPM Accumark…like what I’m seeing.
Duane

Yup- makes a fella want to look at a Weatherby. If ya gotta drop a grand to get a decent rifle, might as well buy from a guy like that. CL
That’s my thought as well. Their company makes me wanna invest in one of their rifles just cause they are keeping it very American. Plus, seldom do you hear about junk with their name on it.

I hear you Jim…. I have an itch for one of their 240’s with the 7.5 twist. Just need to pick the gun.
Those would be nice too, should be at the top for 6mm/243 performance. Just buy enough brass for the expected life of the barrel and go from there. Their heavy barrel option in the 6 lug action are pretty light still and I bet they shoot very well.

When I started my search for a 460 Wby I called Weatherby to find out their production runs. At the time I spoke with Adam , he explained that the 460s are built after they take in x amount of orders from their dealers. He was very down to earth and had a great conversation. Less than a month later I snagged an unfired 4P Lazermark off of GB , never got to order one.

Great interview. I love the part where Adam says "Well I don't hunt with the 6.5 Creed" 🤣

But on a more serious note, this has got me looking into another Weatherby, more than likely another Vanguard, but I'm thinking 257 WBY or 6.5-300 WBY with a 4-14x Leupold for a lighter packing rifle for shots out to 600 yards, as compared to my normal heavy 15# rifles with 20-25x scopes.

Last edited:
Great interview. I love the part where Adam says "Well I don't hunt with the 6.5 Creed" 🤣

But on a more serious note, this has got me looking into another Weatherby, more than likely another Vanguard, but I'm thinking 257 WBY or 6.5-300 WBY with a 4-14x Leupold for a lighter packing rifle for shots out to 600 yards, as compared to my normal heavy 15# rifles with 20-25x scopes.
I chuckled too at that part! He is a Weatherby of course 😉 Even his wife Brenda has hunted with the 300 Wby and 338 RPM.

The 257 would shoot flat, the 6.5-300 even more so. Have you considered the 6.5 RPM? It would be similar a 257 in power but be able to shoot those high b.c. bullets.

If they come out with a 270 RPM that would be my choice.

I chuckled too at that part! He is a Weatherby of course 😉 Even his wife Brenda has hunted with the 300 Wby and 338 RPM.

The 257 would shoot flat, the 6.5-300 even more so. Have you considered the 6.5 RPM? It would be similar a 257 in power but be able to shoot those high b.c. bullets.

If they come out with a 270 RPM that would be my choice.
Leaning more towards the 6.5-300 just for the simple fact it would see elk, and I'm not a huge fan of 25 cal for elk, nor really even 6.5s for that matter. However I do realize the 6.5 is by far the better choice over the 257 because of the heavier bullets and the extra horsepower. If elk wasnt on the menu, definitely go 257, Ive wanted one since I was a little kid, but settled on the 25/06 because well WBYs were just a lot more expensive back then, and I was only 14 years old. They didnt make WBYs in vanguards or $500 rifles like they do now. Both are flat liners. Only 20" drop at 500 with a 300 yard zero. I'm thinking 130g Hammers at 3500fps out of the 6.5 would make short work of deer and elk to 600 easy...

Never gave much thought if any to the RPMs. Never really looked into them much. My dad uses a Model 70 in 264 Win Mag with a 26" 8 twist Bartlein and 140g ABs at 3100fps for deer and elk and he loves it. It's his favorite rifle by far. In fact it use to be my rifle but I gave it to him about 10 years ago for some money I owed him. He put the Bartlein on it though as the 9 twist 24" barrel just didn't care for the 140s much at all.

Last edited:
Yup- makes a fella want to look at a Weatherby. If ya gotta drop a grand to get a decent rifle, might as well buy from a guy like that. CL
The Vanguard in 257 Wby would be an awesome gun and not break the bank. I bet you have a few 257 cal bullets kicking around.

Leaning more towards the 6.5-300 just for the simple fact it would see elk, and I'm not a huge fan of 25 cal for elk, nor really even 6.5s for that matter. However I do realize the 6.5 is by far the better choice over the 257 because of the heavier bullets and the extra horsepower. If elk wasnt on the menu, definitely go 257, Ive wanted one since I was a little kid, but settled on the 25/06 because well WBYs were just a lot more expensive back then, and I was only 14 years old. They didnt make WBYs in vanguards or $500 rifles like they do now. Both are flat liners. Only 20" drop at 500 with a 300 yard zero. I'm thinking 130g Hammers at 3500fps out of the 6.5 would make short work of deer and elk to 600 easy...

Never gave much thought if any to the RPMs. Never really looked into them much. My dad uses a Model 70 in 264 Win Mag with a 26" 8 twist Bartlein and 140g ABs at 3100fps for deer and elk and he loves it. It's his favorite rifle by far. In fact it use to be my rifle but I gave it to him about 10 years ago for some money I owed him. He put the Bartlein on it though as the 9 twist 24" barrel just didn't care for the 140s much at all.
The 6.5 RPM has exactly the same ballistics as a 264 WM, 3100 fps with 140's but from a 24" barrel.
The 6.5-300 with a 130 at 3500 fps would be amazing.

I am an old man stuck in my old ways. I only own MK V 9 lug and Win/Rugers with CRF type action. I do not own any other type of bolt action.
I am glad Adam is doing what is needed keeping the company moving forward. I wish him success. When I buy another WBY, it will be MK V 9 lug again.

I am an old man stuck in my old ways. I only own MK V 9 lug and Win/Rugers with CRF type action. I do not own any other type of bolt action.
I am glad Adam is doing what is needed keeping the company moving forward. I wish him success. When I buy another WBY, it will be MK V 9 lug again.
I had a Mark V Euro 9 lug chambered in 416 Wby.
It is a solid action.

JD338

Back