0.17HMR vs 0.22Lr ?

Tytalus

Beginner
Dec 6, 2012
Ok, so I can only buy one first rifle to start practice shooting with. Which cartridge do recommend given that I am interested in:

1.) Plinking
2.) Small Game/Varmint hunting for pelts
3.) Somewhat cost conscious.

Any recommended brands&models would be helpful too. Thanks guys.

Go with the .22 LR; the cost of ammunition contra 0.17 HMR will justify the purchase.

A quality .22 rifle will do better for your purposes.

The .22 is very accurate from a good rifle. It's very good on game like squirrel & rabbit and rarely does much damage to pelts. It's also far less expensive to shoot.

The .17 HMR is better as a very small varmint cartridge, for zapping pests like ground squirrels & prairie dogs out to a couple of hundred yards. It is a very cool little cartridge and generates an honest 2500 - 2600 fps vs the 1200 fps of a typical .22 long rifle.

My sons and I have both, the .22's get used more than the .17 HMR, by far.

22 lr all the way, take a good look at any of the CZ USA 22's and pick one that fits your budget. They are typically very accurate and are very well made, there is nothing cheap feeling about them. I have a left hand 452 American that is all I could have hoped for in a 22.

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/80-rimfire-rifles-cz/

DrMike":1jjnca8p said:
Go with the .22 LR; the cost of ammunition contra 0.17 HMR will justify the purchase.

Without a doubt. A good 22 will pay for itself. Perfect for small animals without tearing them to pieces.

This .22 Marlin is actually my favorite rifle ever. I like it better than any of my center-fire hunting rifles. Accurate, easy to shoot, well made and deadly on small game & varmints:

IMG_3934.jpg

Your #3 prerequisite demands I recommend the 22 LR

...well, if you really want to learn how to shoot, find a good Winchester 67A .22LR, single shot, you have to manually cock it, but it will teach you the basic of rifle shooting...

d4f56212e7cb415b3d82cea65f117ce2.jpg

Back